Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen 10 .30-06's in the woods for every 1 .30-30. That's in PA. Even the Amish and Mennonites carried pump .30-06's almost to a man. I carried a .30-30 for most of ten years and guys looked at me like a novelty.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
303 british

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I guess it probably depends on how far back a person is going to start counting, but I'm going to guess that in the last 100-120 years, or so, the top 5 list of total big game numbers killed would look something like this:

1. 30/06 SPR
2. 30-30 WCF
3. 308 Win
4. 270 Win
5. 7mm Rem Mag / 300 Win Mag (about tied... slight edge to the 7-Mag)

The 45-70 would certainly be listed if we go way back to the early days with buffalo kills and all, but I think that is a bit nonsensical for this discussion.

Someone mentioned that people these days seem to hate the 7mm Remington Mag. I don't find that true at all and know many very seasoned outdoorsmen who use the 7-Mag. More so than any other magnum cartridge (300 Win Mag comes a very close second). I mean, come on, the 7mm Mag has basically the power level of an '06 loaded warm, with a tiny bit more range / better BC bullets.... what's not to like about that? I find that only here on the Campfire does the 7 get trashed. I'm not sure why.

P.S. I don't own one... but I would.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several posters have mentioned the 44-40, and I would bet that in it's heyday it took far more game than the 7 mag has since it's introduction in 1962. One must remember that back in the day of the 44-40 there were little in the way of seasons and limits. It was a popular choice for a rifle that was carried 365 days a year, as compared to the current time period, when a rifle might be used a few weeks out of the year. The 44-40 also accounted for quite a few 2 legged critters as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wel you said cartridges. Which everyone correctly understood to mean rifle. But besides the .22 the other would b e 12 ga.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have to agree with Bighorn....

This is a perfect question for the internet!!!

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
30-30, 44-40

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntin_chic

Someone mentioned that people these days seem to hate the 7mm Remington Mag. I don't find that true at all and know many very seasoned outdoorsmen who use the 7-Mag. More so than any other magnum cartridge (300 Win Mag comes a very close second). I mean, come on, the 7mm Mag has basically the power level of an '06 loaded warm, with a tiny bit more range / better BC bullets.... what's not to like about that? I find that only here on the Campfire does the 7 get trashed. I'm not sure why.

Mostly CF Internet drivel. Everyone loves to hate something. smile

Never met anyone with any extensive experience with one who thought the cartridge didn't work great....with good bullets and proper placement.

Just like anything else.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 7mm Remington mag is falling out of favor . At least regionally. Two years ago I asked Shyda's, Lebanon PA's largest gun shop, why they didn't have any 7 mags on the shelves? They told me they don't sell anymore. They said the .300 Win mag has supplanted it. Apparently the military has made the .300 Win all the rage.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I guess it probably depends on how far back a person is going to start counting, but I'm going to guess that in the last 100-120 years, or so, the top 5 list of total big game numbers killed would look something like this:

1. 30/06 SPR
2. 30-30 WCF
3. 308 Win
4. 270 Win
5. 7mm Rem Mag / 300 Win Mag (about tied... slight edge to the 7-Mag)

The 45-70 would certainly be listed if we go way back to the early days with buffalo kills and all, but I think that is a bit nonsensical for this discussion.

The .45-70 was introduced in 1873. At least half the Bison were gone by 1873. And just because the .45-70 was birthed then doesn't mean it instantly flooded the scene with hunters. The .50-70 played a much bigger role in Bison hunting which was pretty much over by 1880.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Mostly CF Internet drivel. Everyone loves to hate something. smile

Never met anyone with any extensive experience with one who thought the cartridge didn't work great....with good bullets and proper placement.

Just like anything else.

The argument against Magnums isn't that they don't work fine when pointed correctly, because they do. The argument is that it's been demonstrated time and time again that many if not most folks simply cannot shoot the hard kickers proficiently. Many hunters simply don't have the time, resources, or desire to practice enough in order to wield a hard kicking rifle well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
PG: I understand the argument. wink

Personally I never placed the 7 Rem Mag in that "hard kicking" category,since its recoil is very much like a 30/06. I know this is a subjective thing but its recoil (for me) has always been a solid notch or two below the point where I have to start working at it to shoot proficiently . smile

I think I am not alone. I also think that's one reason the cartridge has been so popular.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7Mag would be lucky to crack the top 30.

.22LR
.30-30
.44-40
.30-06
.303B
.30-40

And a host of others get in there long before the 7RM.

Hell, if you could the buffalo slaughter, the various buffalo gun BP cartridges make the top 20, and easily.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I take it that this means big game; even so, I bet the .22 Short is in the top fifteen.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by moosemike
The 7mm Remington mag is falling out of favor . At least regionally. Two years ago I asked Shyda's, Lebanon PA's largest gun shop, why they didn't have any 7 mags on the shelves? They told me they don't sell anymore. They said the .300 Win mag has supplanted it. Apparently the military has made the .300 Win all the rage.

Well... sure... where you reside I can understand that a 7mm Remington Mag, or any of the mags are really not needed. In the mountains and plains of Montana & Alaska, it is quite different. And... those "new guys" going to the 300 Win just because of its military sniper record probably are not killing many head of big game. Not that the 300 isn't great at it... it is! I probably like it a bit better than the 7-Mag because of heavier slugs for big bears and such.

I was just doing a quick tally of the game my family harvested this year in Montana and Alaska. We put 28 animals in the freezer this fall with a variety of rifles... all but one are on my top 5 list (338 Federal)... most with 30-06, 308, 300 Win Mag and 7 Rem Mag. Not that this is any gauge of anything really... just what we did.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The argument against Magnums isn't that they don't work fine when pointed correctly, because they do. The argument is that it's been demonstrated time and time again that many if not most folks simply cannot shoot the hard kickers proficiently. Many hunters simply don't have the time, resources, or desire to practice enough in order to wield a hard kicking rifle well.

The 7mm Remington Magnum doesn't kick. It is no different than an equally weighted 30-06. Anyone who thinks that the 7-Mags are big kickers have NEVER shot one. They are, without a doubt, the tamest of the "magnums". So, if a 30-06 isn't a shoulder breaker, neither is the 7-Mag.

Real recoil starts at the 338 Win Mag, and even it isn't that hard to shoot well. And once we get into the big bore cartridges, things change drastically....... but a 7mm Remington Magnum or even a 300, is not hard to shoot well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Where is the data coming from to substantiate the claims made here? Is there some clearing house I don't know about that keeps score of how many kills for each cartridge? Lots of around the campfire conjecture not well grounded in fact, makes fodder for discussion/debate and that's about all.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The .45-70 was introduced in 1873. At least half the Bison were gone by 1873. And just because the .45-70 was birthed then doesn't mean it instantly flooded the scene with hunters. The .50-70 played a much bigger role in Bison hunting which was pretty much over by 1880.

True enough, but that's still a lot of kills and like I said, going so far back in history doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I had family members who were in these territories back in those days.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Where is the data coming from to substantiate the claims made here? Is there some clearing house I don't know about that keeps score of how many kills for each cartridge? Lots of around the campfire conjecture not well grounded in fact, makes fodder for discussion/debate and that's about all.

Ever hear of opinions and educated guesses? What about WAG's? This is a talk forum not a College class.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

True enough, but that's still a lot of kills and like I said, going so far back in history doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I had family members who were in these territories back in those days.

And I had family members in New York in 1709? How is that germane to this discussion?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,275
Posts18,505,038
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.