Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
XL5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm soon to have a cataract removed from my dominant eye. My questions are specifically for those who have had the same procedure and were fitted with a monofocal intraocular lens (IOL). What focal distance did you select (the power of your specific lens would be helpful) and how does your IOL work out when using a telescopic sight?

My thinking is that a hunter needs to be able to spot his prey at quite some distance, which favors a very long focal distance. But since I no longer will have adaptive focus, will that long focal distance IOL prevent me from being able to clearly see the scope's reticle?

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both eyes fixed 18 months ago and both fitted with distance lens......readjusted the focus on my scopes and binos and life is good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know what they used, but I can see distant, and need reading glasses for up close.
I can see perfectly from about 3' to infinity.
I do have to dial in about +2 diopters correction in my binoculars, though.
No problems seeing a scope reticle.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Don't know what they used, but I can see distant, and need reading glasses for up close.
I can see perfectly from about 3' to infinity.
I do have to dial in about +2 diopters correction in my binoculars, though.
No problems seeing a scope reticle.

Same here, use cheap reading glasses for close work, have almost 20/20 for distance.
Both eyes done about 13 years ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Both done 9 years ago. Both corrected for distance and I wear readers. Life with a scope is excellent. If you need it, get it done. You sure won't regret it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Both done 9 years ago. Both corrected for distance and I wear readers. Life with a scope is excellent. If you need it, get it done. You sure won't regret it.

+1 on what Rock Chuck said! I had mine done in April of last rear. Both eyes corrected for distance. No issues with scope, but iron sights will be an issue. i found a set of readers that allow a perfect front sight and near perfect rear - the target will be a little blurry but I get the sight picture I used to see thirty years ago.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
+ 1 on what Rock Chuck and CraigD said. Had cataract surgery on my right (shooting) eye a year ago, and immediately had 20/20 vision again with that eye. No readers needed if the light is good, and my far-off vision is like it was sixty years ago.

Surgery on my left eye two years ago, however, made its macular degeneration more apparent. Fortunately, monthly injections into that eye have greatly improved its vision, too.

I've had no issues with shooting. I only wish my insurance company would have approved my cataract surgeries years earlier.

Bill Quimby

TBS Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Had both eyes done last may. My lenses are set for distance. My recent check up i scored 20/13 on eye test. What you will notice is you will have to adjust your scopes ocular lens.

Your scopes will amaze you once your eyes are fixed!!!!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Mine was done maybe 8-10 years ago distance corrected. Nead readers Beats the heck out of over 50 years of 4-eyes! I did have to get laser zapped a year or two afterward as dead cells had built up on the back of the lens sac but the Dr. Said that would probably happen. Scope and binocs work fine. Open sights not so much.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
XL5,

Thanks for posting the question as I will be trying to get my second eye done soon. Had the right(Dominant) one done last year and believe it's a 20/20 lens, not what I was used to before surgery (20/13) but better than blurry from the cataract. Now the left is getting worse and I am wondering what level to have in that one. Doc that did the right said there's different options, go with close vision in the left and avoid readers, go with 20/20 in both and maybe need readers for really small print, go with a longer distance one and need readers for sure.

Have only shot a few times since the right was done, but use binocs frequently. No problems with scope or binocs at all.

Left eye sucks tho, especially at night. Hope it goes as well as the right did.

Good luck,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a great experience with mine, also. The other day I read about a new lense which more or less duplicates your living lens. It might be worth looking into.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
FYI - I had mine done 9 years ago and my wife had hers done about 3 years ago. She had one eye set for distance and 1 for reading. It works well for her. However, the doc said that for some reason, it usually doesn't work well for men. Men are usually happier with both eyes the same.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best thing I ever have done for vision. Told Doc I hunted and shot as a hobby. Asked what he recommended. Vision wound up being 20/20 in my right and 20/25 in my left. Can be corrected to better than 20/20 with glasses. I use CVS readers for reading. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
FYI - I had mine done 9 years ago and my wife had hers done about 3 years ago. She had one eye set for distance and 1 for reading. It works well for her. However, the doc said that for some reason, it usually doesn't work well for men. Men are usually happier with both eyes the same.

There's a life lesson or a signature line in there some where. smile

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My experience post cataract surgery mostly mirrors the comments above; in my case use of iron sights improved, use of peep sights improved dramatically. I went with the distance lens.

I have found my eyes to be much more light sensitive now so use sunglasses a lot more

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think everyone who has it done is more light sensitive afterwards. Using sunglasses is a good idea whether you have it done or not.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guess it's been maybe two years or so since I had mine done. Both eyes set for long distance. Other than readjusting the focus on scopes and the diopter on the bins they've been great. Short story; last year on an elk hunt we were moving to another location when I said to stop the truck, there's a huge deer right over there by that big rock. The guide who I've hunted with before who has a superb game eye couldn't see him until he got nervous and trotted off. Wished to hell I'd had a tag for that one as he'd been high up in the book according to the guide. Never had a really good game eye but it's 100 percent better than when I was nearsighted. Even iron sights are feasible for me now.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
I had a great experience with mine, also. The other day I read about a new lense which more or less duplicates your living lens. It might be worth looking into.

I had both of mine in December of 2014. It would have been $2000/eye to put the super lens in. I use 1.5 readers from Target. Now I can see the sights a lot better on my M-1, K31, 91 Argentine etc. A guy commented on it at the range shortly after when he saw me hitting pretty consistently from the bench. Asked if my vision was 20-20.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To anyone,

How long are you restricted from shooting with regard to recoil or any other jolting ?

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,283
Posts18,505,139
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.