-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho, if anyone OTHER than B tagged it, it would be illegal party hunting. The one who kills it has to tag it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Split the deer meat equally. That's how the people I hunt with handle it if more than one person puts a bullet in it. Nobody I hunt with cares about antlers, meat hunting is what we care about.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hunter A screwed the pooch by making a lousy shot! Not his animal!

Go home and practice!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Buck I killed later

[Linked Image]

dvd - I still have a light jacket just like that-un.
Treebark ?

In your instance that buck was yours!!

In the OP hypothetical - hunter B. ----hunter A did not kill the deer.

Jerry
That shirt is long gone, my guide on a Quebec caribou hunt took a shine to it so I gave it to him

Always knew, you were a "Give you the shirt of my back"-kind of man, Dan, Gerbil-King non-withstanding...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Would have to look at the situation in totality to see, hard to always have a black and white rule in situations like this.

If hunter A or B were a novice hunter and his first buck, he might get deference, when hunter A or B wasn't.

All other things being equal, the group I've hunted with, it would probably go to A.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with Skane on all accounts on this matter. Could not have said it better myself.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the relationship situation, B should offer the deer to A, and A should refuse it and be glad that the others helped bail him out of his situation. B should offer to share the meat with everyone that helped out.

I've often pondered what I would do on public land if I killed a deer wounded by someone else. My conclusion is that a seriously wounded deer should go to the original shooter, but ones with broke legs and such are fair game for whoever stops it, unless it was wounded by a kid. In that case, the kid gets it.

Honestly, I don't think a lot of hunters even check for blood unless the deer falls at the shot. Also, many couldn't track a D8 across a snowy golf course, let alone follow a scant blood trail through deer cover. Sounds like the crew in the OP's story knew their business.

What fresh Hell is this?
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Given the OP's scenario ... and not getting into the "legal" side of things, or how well he shoots, or how much practice he needs, etc. ... I find it hard - almost impossible - to imagine myself being Hunter B and feeling like the deer was mine.

I don't need rules to be established prior to the search/drive, and I don't need to know or care whether Hunter A's initial shot that drew blood was more superficial or would have been eventually fatal. I'm out there helping Hunter A "recover" a deer that he shot, period. That's the only reason I'm out there.

-WGM-
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by WGM
Given the OP's scenario ... and not getting into the "legal" side of things, or how well he shoots, or how much practice he needs, etc. ... I find it hard - almost impossible - to imagine myself being Hunter B and feeling like the deer was mine.

I don't need rules to be established prior to the search/drive, and I don't need to know or care whether Hunter A's initial shot that drew blood was more superficial or would have been eventually fatal. I'm out there helping Hunter A "recover" a deer that he shot, period. That's the only reason I'm out there.

I'd agree, probably get a picture with it and him, then move on.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
B had the killing shot, he gets it. If I was B, and A wanted it that bad, I'd give it to him.

About 15 years ago, I gut shot this doe. She went down and I shot her again, but in the top of the back. The doe got up and ran off. It was pouring down rain and I lost the track. 2 weeks later, I had this doe walking through the woods all funny like. I shot it. When I went down to gut it, I noticed it stunk real bad. When I opened it up, all of this black blood came out and I almost puked. I let go of the deer and it rolled over on the other side, and that's when I saw the wounds. It was the deer that I'd shot 2 weeks earlier still alive.

Just because you shot it, doesn't necessarily mean you would have killed it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All this good hearted, feel good stuff will for most go out the window if that Buck is a hog that was superficially wounded. Small Buck you work it out. Big one will change most peoples outlook.

Put me in A's place in this situation on a big Buck, and I would insist B take it. In addition to being happy for him. Might never have brought him to ground without B finishing it and in this case I as A, would have to look at and know there was a good chance I wouldn't be if B hadn't been there to kill it. Situation wouldn't be any different than if we put on a drive and B shot it in the first place. Make it an obvious mortal wound and I would let B make the decision.

Someone has to make a decision. In one case we both make it, in another I make it and in the third it's his choice. Most here comment on how they want it, but the other may not feel the same.

Next question is what do the two individuals consider to be big. But as soon as he says he wants it, no matter what the situation it's his.

Best thing is let the other person comment first, then take it from there. However, be willing to perhaps have it go against what you feel is right, accept it and move on.

Last edited by battue; 01/08/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I agree with you battue, you ought to be a psychologist. cool

If I was A, I would also insist B take it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
All this good hearted, feel good stuff will for most go out the window if that Buck is a hog that was superficially wounded. Small Buck you work it out. Big one will change most peoples outlook.

Put me in A's place in this situation on a big Buck, and I would insist he take it. In addition to being happy for him. Might never have brought him to ground without B finishing it and in this case I as A, would have to look at and know there was a good chance I wouldn't be if B hadn't been there to kill it. Situation wouldn't be any different than if we put on a drive and B shot it in the first place. Make it an obvious mortal wound and I would let B make the decision.

Someone has to make a decision. In one case we both make it, in another I make it and in the third it's his choice. Most here comment on how they want it, but the other may not feel the same.

Next question is what do the two individuals consider to be big. But as soon as he says he wants it, no matter what the situation it's his.

Best thing is let the other person comment first, then take it from there. However, be willing to perhaps have it go against what you feel is right, accept it and move on.

If you want to start down that road (and I don't mean just you personally, but anyone for this matter) ... Then we should consider the OP's scenario, and change a few little details, or at least ask a few questions about "what if" ...

1. Instead of Hunter A doing the driving, and leaving Hunter B in the position to make the kill shot, why not have Hunter B do the driving, and have Hunter A be in the spot to catch the deer coming out on the drive?

2. If you are any hunter/helper other than Hunter A, and Hunter A comes and asks for your assistance with a buck he shot, are you at that point helping him search for a buck, or are you out "hunting" while Hunter A is "searching"? For that matter, is Hunter A still "hunting" while looking for the buck?

I could go on with a few more questions, but what I asked myself when I read the OP's scenario is, "What exactly am I out there doing in the woods with Hunter A when he's requested my assistance?".

At the point I go into the woods with Hunter A, to an area I never intended on hunting (at least that day), looking for a buck that I had not been hunting (at least that day), I've already made the decision that my only reason for being out there is to help a "friend" finish off a buck that he shot already at least one time that day.

I really guess this is all about a frame of mind, once you disregard the "legal" side of things per DNR regulations, etc.

Also, consider that some people may get more satisfaction out of helping someone out vs. hanging a big set of antlers on the wall that you got only because someone else drug you out there and unwittingly drove a deer out right to you.

-WGM-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
1: You can't change the details of the OP. It is what it was. A was driving and B was posting. "Damn we have a Buck that's been hit, who wants to drive, who wants to post? I think you should drive." "No, I want you to." "But what if?""Ok, but what if this happens." "Yea, but what if that happens?" "[bleep], I don't know, lets call the wives?"

2: Of course you should help end the situation for a friend if they ask. And of course I'm hunting, perhaps a different Buck will show up. And obviously A is also hunting. So yea, common sense tells us both are hunting. Making it complicated of who is hunting, who is helping, who is were they are for what reason only clouds the issue of doing what is right, and both parties have a role to play depending on circumstance. The only answer is how it plays out in the end. Then somebody makes a decision.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
In Idaho, you kill it, you tag it. Anything else falls under the law as party hunting and is poaching.

After you put your tag on it, you can give the meat and horns to anyone you wish. But you are done hunting that species for the year.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
1: You can't change the details of the OP. It is what it was. A was driving and B was posting. "Damn we have a Buck that's been hit, who wants to drive, who wants to post? I think you should drive." "No, I want you to." "But what if?""Ok, but what if this happens." "Yea, but what if that happens?" "[bleep], I don't know, lets call the wives?"

2: Of course you should help end the situation for a friend if they ask. And of course I'm hunting, perhaps a different Buck will show up. And obviously A is also hunting. So yea, common sense tells us both are hunting. Making it complicated of who is hunting, who is helping, who is were they are for what reason only clouds the issue of doing what is right, and both parties have a role to play depending on circumstance. The only answer is how it plays out in the end. Then somebody makes a decision.

I wasn't implying we should try to manipulate the OP's scenario ... I was just giving some changes to it for thought.

Thing is, I really don't get all eaten up about the "who gets the deer" thing ... I already said that I feel it was always Hunter A's deer. I'm not saying I'm right, and anyone else who thinks different is wrong.

-WGM-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
In Idaho, you kill it, you tag it. Anything else falls under the law as party hunting and is poaching.

After you put your tag on it, you can give the meat and horns to anyone you wish. But you are done hunting that species for the year.

In that instance, if I were Hunter B, I would probably have never shot at the deer when it was driven out. That kind of strict law really doesn't promote hunters helping other hunters track/kill a wounded deer, now does it?

-WGM-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds simple, however the only reason for the rule is so the GC doesn't have to get in the middle of people from not doing what is right on their own. The GC's easy way out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

In that instance, if I were Hunter B, I would probably have never shot at the deer when it was driven out. That kind of strict law really doesn't promote hunters helping other hunters track/kill a wounded deer, now does it?

Damn, the Deer was hit in the leg. I've seen them run hard with only three. You can't guarantee you would always be able tell if a Deer was previous hit or it was a different one.

They do walk a little odd when they only have three.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok, one opinion.

Big or little, if I decide to shoot there is a reason. So, I hit it in the leg and you finish it. Your Deer, I don't deserve it.

You hit it in the leg and I finish it a day later. Mine unless you want it. Take it if you feel like it, but I won't think as much of you as I may previously have.

Addition: And then there are those you really don't care if someone else tags it. They just really like the killing part.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,904
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.