Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
I had a Ruger 77 .338. One of the worst kicking rifles I ever shot. It was no fun to shoot and I don't need it even for Moose so I said good riddance.

Boy Howdy that sounds familiar......

I know,... I've said that a few Xs on different threads. I STILL have a Rem 700 8mm Rem Mag and it was/is much more pleasant to shoot.

I have shot a Rem 700 375 H H multiple times and it did not punish me like that 'tanger'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I really believe the 375 bore is more rifle than any 338.

While I agree with you Bob, in general the .375 is often too much gun for anything in NA. However, I still use one... laugh whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You could sell the 7mm mag and the .375 ruger , buy a .338 win. and still be covered for anything short of a Big 5 hunt in Africa.......

That is the cheap man's anti Looney answer.. laugh
I see I was late in my answer , but it is TRUTH.

Last edited by wyoming260; 01/08/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by wyoming260
You could sell the 7mm mag and the .375 ruger , buy a .338 win. and still be covered for anything short of a Big 5 hunt in Africa.......

That is the cheap man's anti Looney answer.. laugh
I see I was late in my answer , but it is TRUTH.

It works fine on three of the Big Five. I was more than prepared to use it on elephant but we didn't find the one we wanted. In full disclosure, however, I used a .270 on the leopard. Dead before he hit the ground. I used that rifle because of the scope on it, not the caliber.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I say buy it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by moosemike
I had a Ruger 77 .338. One of the worst kicking rifles I ever shot. It was no fun to shoot and I don't need it even for Moose so I said good riddance.

I owned an older tang safety .338 for a while. Killed a few antelope doe with it. My first year of serious elk hunting I clanked the scope, so the next day I carried a 7x57 ruger, killed an elk and made plans for the .338 to have a new owner......

Originally Posted by toltecgriz
It works fine on three of the Big Five. I was more than prepared to use it on elephant but we didn't find the one we wanted. In full disclosure, however, I used a .270 on the leopard. Dead before he hit the ground. I used that rifle because of the scope on it, not the caliber.

Just curious where you were hunting. I know some African nations allow calibers under .375 (or 9.3mm) but I've never seen a comprehensive list. I personally don't really enjoy shooting anything bigger than a 338 Win Mag., 35 Whelen or 9.3x62, so that's why I ask. I have a nice .338 that I shoot well, and thinking about getting another 35 Whelen.... anyway...

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I really believe the 375 bore is more rifle than any 338.

Tossing bullet performance out of the equation, technically its supposed to be....but if we're talking anti-loony here.

I can't fathom lugging a 7 Mag around if one dislikes lugging a 338 either, for deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI

I can't fathom lugging a 7 Mag around if one dislikes lugging a 338 either, for deer.

Exact same rifle in many cases, with a bit more weight in the barrel.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by camera_dude
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Just curious where you were hunting. I know some African nations allow calibers under .375 (or 9.3mm) but I've never seen a comprehensive list. I personally don't really enjoy shooting anything bigger than a 338 Win Mag., 35 Whelen or 9.3x62, so that's why I ask. I have a nice .338 that I shoot well, and thinking about getting another 35 Whelen.... anyway...

Zambia

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm a 338WM fan. Mine is the stainless Rem 700 KS Custom Mountain Rifle . It's taken moose, caribou, and a ram. Kicks way less than my father in-laws old Rem 700 Mt Rifle in 30-06.

I do shoot 308 and 223 as well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
BobinNH,I surely hope that my wife doesn't read this post. I also hope that she doesn't realize that her 8# 12 oz.(scoped,loaded,and with sling) .338 WM,which she uses for deer,antelope,elk,bear,moose, and God willing a possible Alaskan and/or African hunt isn't really a practical all around,all purpose hunting rifle! Maybe with a rifle that heavy, grin it explains why she refuses to use a muzzle brake. Anyway,all things being equal it seems that a rifle with a "bigger" hole in the barrel,should weigh less than one with a smaller hole smile!!!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
BobinNH,I surely hope that my wife doesn't read this post. I also hope that she doesn't realize that her 8# 12 oz.(scoped,loaded,and with sling) .338 WM,which she uses for deer,antelope,elk,bear,moose, and God willing a possible Alaskan and/or African hunt isn't really a practical all around,all purpose hunting rifle! Maybe with a rifle that heavy, grin it explains why she refuses to use a muzzle brake. Anyway,all things being equal it seems that a rifle with a "bigger" hole in the barrel,should weigh less than one with a smaller hole smile!!!!! memtb

Nothing like having a good strong Dutch woman by your side. Do you make here pack the whole animal out for you too??? laugh. No seriously though, good for her. I hear all the time, here, that people don't shoot big guns well. You hear these guys that think they are guides say "the guys that showed up with magnums couldn't hit for chit"....."blah blah blah". The problem is these guys are probably business types that go out and buy a new rifle, scope and some factory ammo, go to elk camp without even firing said rifle and have no business shooting at critters.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I bought a Kimber 8400 in .325 wsm so that I had a little more frontal diameter for elk. That said, my 7mag kicks its trash at long range as far as energy levels and accuracy, but it weighs in just under 12 pounds. That Kimber is great for normal elk hunting in steep country. Debated on a .338, but realized that what I really wanted was a lightweight rifle, more than a more powerful cartridge.

That Kimber is light and let's you know it when you shoot it at the bench or heaven forbid, don't hold it right in field positions. Got a nice bump and reminder of that this past summer while practicing. Have found that some powders have a little sharper punch or jump to them, and have settled on the "Holy Grail" of powders in Ramshot Big Game as a good all a rounder. Hope they start shipping that stuff soon.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
OlongJohnson, the problem with your original rational is that it's pretty sound to begin with. That is, a 7 mag and 375 Ruger has covered a lot of ground. On the otherhand, same could be questioned for any cartridge in between the two, not just the 338. So, you shouldn't be trying to rationalizing your way out of another rifle grin . If you put the rifle together right in the first place, you won't have to worry about carrying a 9lbs 338. For example,a kimber Montana or a Winchester 70 can start you out light. I got an Ultimate Shadow and bare with its 26" barrel weighs 7 1/4 lbs. Chop 2-4" off that barrel and drop it in any number of lightweight stocks and you'll be cook'n with town gas grin . Thoughtfully put together you might find you are taking out your 338 more than your 375. I find the 338s recoil stiff but not prohibitive in ordinary shooting positions.

Get a 338 wm.

Last edited by smallfry; 01/10/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bsa,

Actually, most of the hunters I've known who can't shoot a "magnum" (let's day from .300 up, because that's where the problems usually occur) very well have shot theirs enough to start flinching.

Have often seen that when watching guys sighting-in their magnums at various hunting camps, but have also seen it with guys who can shoot one OK on one animal, but then go on an African safari. After a few days of shooting an animal or two a day, their shooting grows worse.

Some are smart enough to have brought along a smaller rifle, and are also smart enough to switch, whereupon their shooting gets better than they start killing animals--even the larger plains-game animals they brought the magnum for. But if they didn't bring along another rifle, they're shooting almost always continues to get worse.

Have seen a number of hunters who can shooting .300-.375 magnums well, even over a two-week safari. But have seen far more who can't, especially after they keep getting kicked for a while. This usually isn't due to inexperience as much as somehow being convinced a .300+ magnum is necessary for killing any big game animal larger than a mule deer, which simply isn't true.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the old O'Connor vs. Keith argument. Raw power vs. precise placement. There will never be a concensus but I'm firmly in the O'Connor camp.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have found they were both right, within the parameters of their arguments, which may sound strange but there it is. However, Elmer apparently was recoil-proof and therefore assumed anybody else should be too, except maybe women.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have had two 338 WM and could never get my head around them. Hunted with a 35 Whelen for a lot of years with good success, the caliber has had more one shot knock downs than the 338's, 7 mag, 30-06, and 280. The 35 rivals the 375H&H. To that end, forsaking all others, the 9.3mm fills the bill quite nicely in the recoil/accuracy/on game performance department, also with a 250gr Accubond the trajectory is surprisingly good as is the power of the 286's at ranges large big game should be shot.

Not fancy but served many a SA farmer well.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,474
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.