-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a 1989 vintage Remington 700. I'm considering putting a new recoil pad on it, one of the newer formulations. I also have a later model Remington 700 stock I could also use.
So how does this system work? Do they fit properly?

The older I get the better I was.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Prefit pads may be a little proud of the wood or a little below, seldom if ever a perfect fit. Too much variation in stock dimensions, if you're not looking for a factory-like fit they're probably O.K.. With many 'smiths charging $100 +/- to fit a pad, prefit is a way for gunowners to save a few bucks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks I'm not surprised and kinda expected that to be the case. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks again. CH

The older I get the better I was.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As noted above, they may not be "perfect" fit. However, the majority of the 5 or 6 I have done, have been "pretty close". Maybe not perfect. But close enough that they would not catch anyone's attention via casual observation.

Especially liking the new style Limb Saver that I put on a used Benelli Nova for duck hunting.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Best bet is to print templates off the websites, and try the stock on different templates and see which work the best. Limbsaver and Kickeeze both have templates online, which are true to size. Sometimes a size will fit best that the gun is not even listed for

The Kick-EEze prefit pads are much easier to shape. Find one that is just slightly too large, and they easily hand sand to fit perfectly. I just use a block and sandpaper, and don't even sand it while it is attached to the gun. Just take a very small amount off at a time, and keep checking to see how it lines up.

I don't think the Limbsaver pads are user friendly at all as far as adjusting the size if they are too big. They have grooves on the edges, and that material does not easily sand.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did the same with a kick eeze. The printable templates made it easy.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A pre-fit pad may be sized to fit the stock after the stock has been cut so it will be the original length after the pad is installed. If the pad seems too small for the butt of the stock, measure the stock forward of the butt.

When you examine templates make sure the holes in the templates line up with your existing holes, otherwise you may find yourself dowling/plugging old holes and drilling new ones. Most "prefit" Limbsavers are oversized.

When I install a new recoil pad (prefit or generic), I do so when I am refinishing the stock. That way I can a good fit. The oversized recoil pads are often difficult to take down with just sanding. I often find myself starting with a wood wrasp to remove initial excess material then working down from coarse grit to small grit sandpaper -- usually a couple hours worth of work to do it that way.

Barstooler

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The holes is a minor problem. Usually they don't line up anyhow, but it's better if the pad is closer to true size. Holes are simple to plug and drill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 20 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,123
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.