Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pilgs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My uncle is planning a moose hunt in SW Alaska. He's looking to upgrade his rain gear and is wanting to purchase some hip boots as well. Does anyone have any experience with Grunden's? How waterproof is it? Is it durable? What are some other brands that work well and hold up?

Hip boots- What's recommended? Or would waders be a better option?

Thanks for your time,

Eric

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Grundens is waterPROOF, durable, and heavy.

Look at HH impertech.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lacrosse big chief ankle fit hip waders

and a HH impertech (longer than the jacket) guide coat are my too often uniform for moose hunting.

with those no need for rain pants, unless sittin and then I just take a cheaper grade of rain pants, cut off the legs to about knee length and if I'm going to sit and glass slip those on over my hippers.

but if up walking or standing no rain pants for me please.

that's what works for me, ymmv

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lacrosse Hip boots are quiet, huge in moose hunting.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Lacrosse big chief ankle fit hip waders

and a HH impertech (longer than the jacket) guide coat are my too often uniform for moose hunting.

with those no need for rain pants, unless sittin and then I just take a cheaper grade of rain pants, cut off the legs to about knee length and if I'm going to sit and glass slip those on over my hippers.

but if up walking or standing no rain pants for me please.

that's what works for me, ymmv

2L2Q is right on in my experience. On my hunts (several brown bear and 1 moose) I've used the Impertech guide coat and it's hard to beat. Where I've hunted, using the breathable chest waders was better than hippers, but I can't see any fault in 2L2Q's recommendation.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More than a few of the guys I worked with used chest waders.

I've used the waist high waders for float hunting

Just never have liked bib anything since a kid on the farm

One caution about wearing hip waders

They're famous for helping you find crossings that are a half inch higher than your hip boots 😀

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hence, flyweight chest waders with good wading boots with traction...

Oh yeah, they'll do about the same thing, but at least in streams chest deep you probably can't stand up against the current, so they are somewhat self helping...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I did a lot of good with a set of breathable hippers. For shoes I used a pair of norwegian welt hiking boots that were always a bit too big, but were perfect with the neoprene foot and no insole in the boots. I could go anywhere in those, and pack some serious stuff with good support. Stayed a lot less clammy than with any sort of taller wader as they breathe pretty good out the top as your legs move.

Used an impertech 3/4 length coat on top.

Pilgs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for the info guys. I appreciate it.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Vek
I did a lot of good with a set of breathable hippers. For shoes I used a pair of norwegian welt hiking boots that were always a bit too big, but were perfect with the neoprene foot and no insole in the boots. I could go anywhere in those, and pack some serious stuff with good support. Stayed a lot less clammy than with any sort of taller wader as they breathe pretty good out the top as your legs move.

Used an impertech 3/4 length coat on top.

Makes lots of sense... excepting the note of stepping a bit deeper... LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was actually quite surprised how well the breathable waders actually breathed since I hadn't used them while seriously working hard in them. End of the day and things weren't too wet on the inside, so they must breathe fairly well. I'm not a fan of chest waders either since they make it a pain to take a leak and you can't access anything in your pockets, but when it is really wet and deep, they're nice to have.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I rarely needed more reach than the hipper but I hunted hilly areas vs swamps. The only time I had trouble was when I lost balance while lining my raft up through blown out beaver dams, stepped off the blown dam into flowing water of undetermined depth, and never determined the depth...after the melted glacier closed over my head like a clap of doom, I shot out like a trident missle. Sometimes you get lucky.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funniest part is the fact when you finally get your breath back it is ONLY good for profanity!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Funniest part is the fact when you finally get your breath back it is ONLY good for profanity!

that's a fing truism if I've ever heard one

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, you have been there?

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,499
Posts18,509,181
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.