Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This shows that the problem with the Ghetto Gangster culture is within it's members. It's not caused by discrimination or poor schools or poverty.

The Battle for Room 314

In 2008, Ed Boland, a well-off New Yorker who had spent 20 years as an executive at a nonprofit, had a midlife epiphany: He should leave his white-glove world, the galas at the Waldorf and drinks at the Yale Club, and go work with the city’s neediest children.

“The Battle for Room 314: My Year of Hope and Despair in a New York City High School” (Grand Central Publishing) is Boland’s memoir of his brief, harrowing tenure as a public-schoolteacher, and it’s riveting.

There’s nothing dry or academic here. It’s tragedy and farce, an economic and societal indictment of a system that seems broken beyond repair.

The book is certain to be controversial. There’s something dilettante-ish, if not cynical, about a well-off, middle-aged white man stepping ever so briefly into this maelstrom of poverty, abuse, homelessness and violence and emerging with a book deal.

What Boland has to share, however, makes his motives irrelevant.

Names and identifying details have been changed, but the school Boland calls Union Street is, according to clues and public records, the Henry Street School of International Studies on the Lower East Side.

Boland opens the book with a typical morning in freshman history class.

A teenage girl named Chantay sits on top of her desk, thong peeking out of her pants, leading a ringside gossip session. Work sheets have been distributed and ignored.

“Chantay, sit in your seat and get to work — now!” Boland says.

A calculator goes flying across the room, smashing into the blackboard. Two boys begin physically fighting over a computer. Two girls share an iPod, singing along. Another girl is immersed in a book called “Thug Life 2.”

Chantay is the one that aggravates Boland the most. If he can get control of her, he thinks, he can get control of the class.

“Chantay,” he says, louder, “sit down immediately, or there will be serious consequences.”

The classroom freezes. Then, as Boland writes, “she laughed and cocked her head up at the ceiling. Then she slid her hand down the outside of her jeans to her upper thigh, formed a long cylinder between her thumb and forefinger, and shook it . . . She looked me right in the eye and screamed, ‘SUCK MY F–KIN’ D–K, MISTER.’ ”

It was Boland’s first week.

[Linked Image from ]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Prob'ly weren't an honors class...

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What did he think was gonna happen? If you raise your kids to act like animals they will act like animals. How come jihad crazed goat [bleep] don't blow up places like that? That would be a public service.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by seal_billy
What did he think was gonna happen? If you raise your kids to act like animals they will act like animals. How come jihad crazed goat [bleep] don't blow up places like that? That would be a public service.
I cannot understand why every attempt is made to blame everything but the real problems. Being poor or a minority is irrelevant. Being rude, disrespectful, violent,vulgar and not doing any schoolwork are the problens. Why are we not allowed to say that?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

You need to think about this issue for a bit. When I have discussions with liberals they always blame the schools for the failings of Blacks to succeed. The book and article exposes that lie and should be good for the country if enough people read them.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
And there in lies the problem. Liberals think that they can change the nature of these thugs whether they are felons in prison or the Ayatollahs in Iran - with kind thoughts and rainbows of happiness.

You put rabid animals down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ConradCA

You need to think about this issue for a bit. When I have discussions with liberals they always blame the schools for the failings of Blacks to succeed. The book and article exposes that lie and should be good for the country if enough people read them.
WHAT? THE SCHOOLS AREN'T TOTALLY TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING WRONG IN THIS COUNTRY?

Naw, couldn't be. Schools are totally commie. Book must be bogus.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Prob'ly weren't an honors class...
If one of them gets shot by a white cop or armed white citizen in the act of committing a violent felony against them, the press will report that he or she was indeed an honor student.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Filth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how NYC schools have changed in the last 30 years? Wouldn't surprise me if this has been the norm in certain schools for a while.

I haven't been in a high school since I graduated 34 years ago and this Saturday I helped do some judging for a Robotics competition in our local one. The kids were not all high-school they were all 9-14 years old and they trended toward the younger side. We did the robot judging (as opposed to the 2 other judging categories) in the schools shop classes. Yes, classes. they had multiple shops that were in great shape and well equipped. One of the other judges was a teacher there and he said that the school put great emphasis on practical skills and the kids loved it. We also visited the tech lab shop that had a very high-end 3D printer and CAD/CAM computers and printers. I was pretty impressed with the facilities.

I don't have much interaction with kids 9-14 in my life and these kids were equally impressive. All races and ethnicity were represented in teams up to 10 kids and they ranged from school sponsored teams to kids that put a team together in their neighborhoods. There was clearly a wide variety of income levels represented too. There were 30 teams and the kids were enthusiastic and respectful and smart. I was impressed and left with some hope for the future.

t's easy with the news to write off a generation. I'm not ready to do that.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The problem is school administrators that don't want to deal with problem students or especially, their parents.

The girl in the story should have been kicked out and held out until she learned to behave. Let her parents deal with her.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Liberals think that they can change the nature of these thugs whether they are felons in prison or the Ayatollahs in Iran - with kind thoughts and rainbows of happiness AND TONS OF OTHER PEOPLES MONEY.

I fixed it for you.

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We do have issues with some liberal bs at school but some local business have lent a hand.
Some of these kids will make a difference.

http://www.metalsinmotion.org/robobots.php

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have much interaction with kids 9-14 in my life and these kids were equally impressive. All races and ethnicity were represented in teams up to 10 kids and they ranged from school sponsored teams to kids that put a team together in their neighborhoods. There was clearly a wide variety of income levels represented too. There were 30 teams and the kids were enthusiastic and respectful and smart. I was impressed and left with some hope for the future.

Welcome to my World cool

...and it ain't just Robotics where what you said applies.

And I think you can understand how I can be so totally awed by their parents.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Citizens for Responsible Tazer Use in the Classroom.

LOL
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Henry Street School of International Studies on the Lower East Side.

This is probably not the average NYC public school.

The Henry Street School for International Studies community is committed to creating an inclusive environment where students are full partners in learning literacy and problem solving skills to succeed in higher education. We will engage in world issues, languages and cultures to participate as ethical, responsible, local and global citizens.

http://schools.nyc.gov/SchoolPortals/01/M292/AboutUs/Overview/default.htm

It seems to be a union laboratory school for mostly non-white students, set up on what looks like, in practical terms, a pass / (almost impossible to) fail system designed to graduate SJWs.

If a tree grows in Brooklyn, what’s growing on the Lower East Side? For starters, kids who are learning how to be citizens of the world, according to Erin McMahon, principal of The Henry Street School for International Studies (HSSIS).

Located at 220 Henry Street, the school has 440 students ranging from grades 6 through 12 and is co-located with CASTLE Middle School and University Neighborhood Middle School, both of which serve grades 6 through 8. Also located within the Corlears Complex is the New York City Center for Space Science Education, a unique program that teaches students about space exploration and flight. McMahon, principal of HSSIS since 2008, presides over a school population that’s 55% Latino, 35% African-American, 20% Asian and 2% Caucasian/other.

http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/tag/henry-street-school-for-international-studies

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
apparently some suffer from gender identity issues as well:

She looked me right in the eye and screamed, ‘SUCK MY F–KIN’ D–K, MISTER.’ ”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kudos to Ed Boland, and I hope he makes a fortune on the book.

I'm not really sure I'm interested in reading it, it'd be like reading about work. All teachers everywhere have the exact same stories, only the colors of the faces and the accents change.

Nationwide there has to be a couple of hundred thousand of us who teach in big-city lower-income schools. If you are beyond second-generation poor in America there's prob'ly a reason for that and it ain't due to racism or discrimination. 90% of kids at least reflect how they were raised.

The only thing I would question about Mr Boland's book is those of us who teach every year, including myself, are suspicious of those who put but a single year in and then quit.

Birdwatcher

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
The problem is school administrators that don't want to deal with problem students or especially, their parents.

The girl in the story should have been kicked out and held out until she learned to behave. Let her parents deal with her.

Exactly. The problem is that the charge of racism would immediately be hurled (and supported by the MSM) against the administrator if he were to expel all students whose behavior was chronically inconsistent with an orderly and disciplined classroom. That's because the majority of blacks would suddenly be gone, while most whites would still be in school. The "social justice warriors" would be all over that as a "clear case of racism," and the administrator would be fired for same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have to be mindful that Boland is an example of a liberal do-gooder who THOUGHT he could "make a difference" and got bitchslapped by the reality. Nurses,Cops and a few other fields have a way of doing that to liberal thinking folks. We had a Mex-American Lady Cop who was VERY liberal when she came on the job. THEN the ghetto rats gave her a very sharp primary education and she became their worst nightmare. She was/is still my friend and was/is a Helluva good Cop.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (204guy, 12344mag, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.