Home
This shows that the problem with the Ghetto Gangster culture is within it's members. It's not caused by discrimination or poor schools or poverty.

The Battle for Room 314

In 2008, Ed Boland, a well-off New Yorker who had spent 20 years as an executive at a nonprofit, had a midlife epiphany: He should leave his white-glove world, the galas at the Waldorf and drinks at the Yale Club, and go work with the city’s neediest children.

“The Battle for Room 314: My Year of Hope and Despair in a New York City High School” (Grand Central Publishing) is Boland’s memoir of his brief, harrowing tenure as a public-schoolteacher, and it’s riveting.

There’s nothing dry or academic here. It’s tragedy and farce, an economic and societal indictment of a system that seems broken beyond repair.

The book is certain to be controversial. There’s something dilettante-ish, if not cynical, about a well-off, middle-aged white man stepping ever so briefly into this maelstrom of poverty, abuse, homelessness and violence and emerging with a book deal.

What Boland has to share, however, makes his motives irrelevant.

Names and identifying details have been changed, but the school Boland calls Union Street is, according to clues and public records, the Henry Street School of International Studies on the Lower East Side.

Boland opens the book with a typical morning in freshman history class.

A teenage girl named Chantay sits on top of her desk, thong peeking out of her pants, leading a ringside gossip session. Work sheets have been distributed and ignored.

“Chantay, sit in your seat and get to work — now!” Boland says.

A calculator goes flying across the room, smashing into the blackboard. Two boys begin physically fighting over a computer. Two girls share an iPod, singing along. Another girl is immersed in a book called “Thug Life 2.”

Chantay is the one that aggravates Boland the most. If he can get control of her, he thinks, he can get control of the class.

“Chantay,” he says, louder, “sit down immediately, or there will be serious consequences.”

The classroom freezes. Then, as Boland writes, “she laughed and cocked her head up at the ceiling. Then she slid her hand down the outside of her jeans to her upper thigh, formed a long cylinder between her thumb and forefinger, and shook it . . . She looked me right in the eye and screamed, ‘SUCK MY F–KIN’ D–K, MISTER.’ ”

It was Boland’s first week.
Prob'ly weren't an honors class...
What did he think was gonna happen? If you raise your kids to act like animals they will act like animals. How come jihad crazed goat [bleep] don't blow up places like that? That would be a public service.
Originally Posted by seal_billy
What did he think was gonna happen? If you raise your kids to act like animals they will act like animals. How come jihad crazed goat [bleep] don't blow up places like that? That would be a public service.
I cannot understand why every attempt is made to blame everything but the real problems. Being poor or a minority is irrelevant. Being rude, disrespectful, violent,vulgar and not doing any schoolwork are the problens. Why are we not allowed to say that?

You need to think about this issue for a bit. When I have discussions with liberals they always blame the schools for the failings of Blacks to succeed. The book and article exposes that lie and should be good for the country if enough people read them.
And there in lies the problem. Liberals think that they can change the nature of these thugs whether they are felons in prison or the Ayatollahs in Iran - with kind thoughts and rainbows of happiness.

You put rabid animals down.

Originally Posted by ConradCA

You need to think about this issue for a bit. When I have discussions with liberals they always blame the schools for the failings of Blacks to succeed. The book and article exposes that lie and should be good for the country if enough people read them.
WHAT? THE SCHOOLS AREN'T TOTALLY TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING WRONG IN THIS COUNTRY?

Naw, couldn't be. Schools are totally commie. Book must be bogus.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Prob'ly weren't an honors class...
If one of them gets shot by a white cop or armed white citizen in the act of committing a violent felony against them, the press will report that he or she was indeed an honor student.
Filth.
I wonder how NYC schools have changed in the last 30 years? Wouldn't surprise me if this has been the norm in certain schools for a while.

I haven't been in a high school since I graduated 34 years ago and this Saturday I helped do some judging for a Robotics competition in our local one. The kids were not all high-school they were all 9-14 years old and they trended toward the younger side. We did the robot judging (as opposed to the 2 other judging categories) in the schools shop classes. Yes, classes. they had multiple shops that were in great shape and well equipped. One of the other judges was a teacher there and he said that the school put great emphasis on practical skills and the kids loved it. We also visited the tech lab shop that had a very high-end 3D printer and CAD/CAM computers and printers. I was pretty impressed with the facilities.

I don't have much interaction with kids 9-14 in my life and these kids were equally impressive. All races and ethnicity were represented in teams up to 10 kids and they ranged from school sponsored teams to kids that put a team together in their neighborhoods. There was clearly a wide variety of income levels represented too. There were 30 teams and the kids were enthusiastic and respectful and smart. I was impressed and left with some hope for the future.

t's easy with the news to write off a generation. I'm not ready to do that.
The problem is school administrators that don't want to deal with problem students or especially, their parents.

The girl in the story should have been kicked out and held out until she learned to behave. Let her parents deal with her.

Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Liberals think that they can change the nature of these thugs whether they are felons in prison or the Ayatollahs in Iran - with kind thoughts and rainbows of happiness AND TONS OF OTHER PEOPLES MONEY.

I fixed it for you.
We do have issues with some liberal bs at school but some local business have lent a hand.
Some of these kids will make a difference.

http://www.metalsinmotion.org/robobots.php
I don't have much interaction with kids 9-14 in my life and these kids were equally impressive. All races and ethnicity were represented in teams up to 10 kids and they ranged from school sponsored teams to kids that put a team together in their neighborhoods. There was clearly a wide variety of income levels represented too. There were 30 teams and the kids were enthusiastic and respectful and smart. I was impressed and left with some hope for the future.

Welcome to my World cool

...and it ain't just Robotics where what you said applies.

And I think you can understand how I can be so totally awed by their parents.
Citizens for Responsible Tazer Use in the Classroom.
Henry Street School of International Studies on the Lower East Side.

This is probably not the average NYC public school.

The Henry Street School for International Studies community is committed to creating an inclusive environment where students are full partners in learning literacy and problem solving skills to succeed in higher education. We will engage in world issues, languages and cultures to participate as ethical, responsible, local and global citizens.

http://schools.nyc.gov/SchoolPortals/01/M292/AboutUs/Overview/default.htm

It seems to be a union laboratory school for mostly non-white students, set up on what looks like, in practical terms, a pass / (almost impossible to) fail system designed to graduate SJWs.

If a tree grows in Brooklyn, what’s growing on the Lower East Side? For starters, kids who are learning how to be citizens of the world, according to Erin McMahon, principal of The Henry Street School for International Studies (HSSIS).

Located at 220 Henry Street, the school has 440 students ranging from grades 6 through 12 and is co-located with CASTLE Middle School and University Neighborhood Middle School, both of which serve grades 6 through 8. Also located within the Corlears Complex is the New York City Center for Space Science Education, a unique program that teaches students about space exploration and flight. McMahon, principal of HSSIS since 2008, presides over a school population that’s 55% Latino, 35% African-American, 20% Asian and 2% Caucasian/other.

http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/tag/henry-street-school-for-international-studies
apparently some suffer from gender identity issues as well:

She looked me right in the eye and screamed, ‘SUCK MY F–KIN’ D–K, MISTER.’ ”
Kudos to Ed Boland, and I hope he makes a fortune on the book.

I'm not really sure I'm interested in reading it, it'd be like reading about work. All teachers everywhere have the exact same stories, only the colors of the faces and the accents change.

Nationwide there has to be a couple of hundred thousand of us who teach in big-city lower-income schools. If you are beyond second-generation poor in America there's prob'ly a reason for that and it ain't due to racism or discrimination. 90% of kids at least reflect how they were raised.

The only thing I would question about Mr Boland's book is those of us who teach every year, including myself, are suspicious of those who put but a single year in and then quit.

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by smokepole
The problem is school administrators that don't want to deal with problem students or especially, their parents.

The girl in the story should have been kicked out and held out until she learned to behave. Let her parents deal with her.

Exactly. The problem is that the charge of racism would immediately be hurled (and supported by the MSM) against the administrator if he were to expel all students whose behavior was chronically inconsistent with an orderly and disciplined classroom. That's because the majority of blacks would suddenly be gone, while most whites would still be in school. The "social justice warriors" would be all over that as a "clear case of racism," and the administrator would be fired for same.
You have to be mindful that Boland is an example of a liberal do-gooder who THOUGHT he could "make a difference" and got bitchslapped by the reality. Nurses,Cops and a few other fields have a way of doing that to liberal thinking folks. We had a Mex-American Lady Cop who was VERY liberal when she came on the job. THEN the ghetto rats gave her a very sharp primary education and she became their worst nightmare. She was/is still my friend and was/is a Helluva good Cop.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Exactly. The problem is that the charge of racism would immediately be hurled (and supported by the MSM) against the administrator if he were to expel all students whose behavior was chronically inconsistent with an orderly and disciplined classroom. That's because the majority of blacks would suddenly be gone, while most whites would still be in school. The social justice warriors would be all over that as a "clear case of racism."

Big thumbs up here. This is the result of decades of reverse discrimination, social engineering, pass 'em at all cost policies.
This shows that the problem with the Ghetto Gangster culture is within it's members. It's not caused by discrimination or poor schools or poverty.

This absolutely says it all. When we quit taking the democrats way out by blaming ourselves, and start blaming the hood rats, maybe we can come up with a solution. ( Which will be politically incorrect and hence unpopular)
The 'people' do not need more entitlements thrown at them, they need their asses kicked.....
The inmates are running the asylums. Liberal doctrine has removed discipline and personal responsibility from students and parents. PC run amok has helped create this condition.
The problem is the net that exists. Oh, so you're 16, pregnant an can't afford the kid, no problem, government will help you. Oh, got another kid, we'll give you more.

[bleep] that, if you can't afford it, parish. I don't care if the landfill is rolled over with the dead of the poor that can't figure out if you can't afford it, don't do it.
Wait!! I thought it was teachers unions to blame. When did the tide shift?
I pine for the days when my shop teacher could stick a cattle prod on the ear ear of a sleeping student and the kid jumping awake wearing the desk around his waist.

I just took a minute to read the rest of the story at the link. There's some funny schidt.

Two weeks in and Boland was crying in the bathroom.

Kids were tossing $110 textbooks out the window. They overturned desks and stormed out of classrooms.

There were seventh-grade girls with tattoos and T-shirts that read, “I’m Not Easy But We Can Negotiate.”

Their self-care toggled in the extreme, from girls who gave themselves pedicures in class to kids who went days without showering.

Kameron was in a league of his own. “I was genuinely afraid of him from the minute I set eyes on him,” Boland writes. After threatening to blow up the school, Kameron was suspended for a few months, and not long after his return, a hammer and a double switchblade fell out of his pockets.

The principal gave up. Kameron was expelled.

“Oh, they getting real tough around here now,” one student said. “Three hundred strikes, you out.”
If Ob*ma had a sista.....
When these 'students' reach eighteen years of age their votes will count the same as yours and mine. Isn't that great?
Our Director of Schools and School Board has adopted a program called PBS or Positive Behavior Support.

We give our students which are 7th and 8th graders paper money for acting and behaving in a positive way. We have PBS breaks so the kids can spend their PBS money buying popcorn, "healthy" slushies and small things like pencils and erasers etc.

Also administration is handcuffed because they can only suspend so many students or it reflects negatively on their evaluation. Basically all teachers and administrators are evaluated on office referrals and students placed in ISS or OSS.

We are rewarding kids for acting like they are suppose to act, even the bus drivers give out "Bus Bucks" for kids behaving on the bus. This is what is wrong with education.

Kids need to learn there are consequences for their actions and we are failing in a big way!
When I was teaching there were articles in the literature suggesting the use of red pens/pencils while marking papers should be avoided. You know, damage to students' self esteem and all that rot.
“Oh, they getting real tough around here now,” one student said. “Three hundred strikes, you out.”

grin

....and people think these kids are stupid.....
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter

Kids need to learn there are consequences for their actions and we are failing in a big way!

This is where Citizens For Responsible Tazer Use in the Classroom come in.

When kids are that far gone, I guarantee within 30 seconds of tazing the troublemakers, you will have compliance from them and the rest.

We're wasting our time and money with feel good programs that won't work. I would say society is "self-destructing" but it's not, it's our responsibility to make the hard stand against this type of behavior wherever it is found. We don't so this continues.

Am I serious about tazing them? Yes. It would work, and that's what we need. Results. Not talk.

I would volunteer for a squad that goes door-to-door slapping parents.

I long for the days when lipping off to a teacher would net two ass whippings.
Our Director of Schools and School Board has adopted a program called PBS or Positive Behavior Support.

We give our students which are 7th and 8th graders paper money for acting and behaving in a positive way.

I understand the concept of Positive Parenting etc. The problem is that programs that start in middle school are too late. The ship has sailed.
What is pictured here is exactly what is going on at schools of all sizes and localities. The degree of disrespect and irresponsibiliy will vary, but in all cases, it is "what is wrong with our schools". There is no magic program (contrary to what the companies selling them might try to say) or magic teaching method (again, contrary to what those making money by providing "in-circus" programs and their ilk) that is going to make one whit of difference. What is needed is for students to fear (yes, fear) the consequences of misbehavior, inattention, and failure to complete (to the best of their ability) assigned work. They need to learn that they need to shape themselves to fit "the mold" as best they can rather than expecting a personal mold to be made especially for them.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
What is pictured here is exactly what is going on at schools of all sizes and localities. The degree of disrespect and irresponsibiliy will vary, but in all cases, it is "what is wrong with our schools". There is no magic program (contrary to what the companies selling them might try to say) or magic teaching method (again, contrary to what those making money by providing "in-circus" programs and their ilk) that is going to make one whit of difference. What is needed is for students to fear (yes, fear) the consequences of misbehavior, inattention, and failure to complete (to the best of their ability) assigned work. They need to learn that they need to shape themselves to fit "the mold" as best they can rather than expecting a personal mold to be made especially for them.

Testify brother!
What is needed is for students to fear (yes, fear) the consequences of misbehavior,

10 pages from now the lightbulb will go off and someone will say, "We just need to be able to taze them!" Everyone will cheer and rally 'round. 5 pages of funny anecdotes on tazer/child interactions will follow, and the issue will finally be resolved.
Originally Posted by mathman

I long for the days when lipping off to a teacher would net two ass whippings.

Yep.
Originally Posted by kevinh1157

We give our students which are 7th and 8th graders paper money for acting and behaving in a positive way.

I understand the concept of Positive Parenting etc. The problem is that programs that start in middle school are too late. The ship has sailed.

It starts in the elementary schools. So students learn by the time they enter middle school that most of the time a lecture and phone call home is all that is going to happen when they misbehave.
What is needed is for students to fear

Good luck creating a school environment that's scarier than living in a ghetto. I'm sure the teacher's beating will be more severe than those doled out by coked up muggers.

Google "cultural pollution".

I used to copy paste this article here on the fire regularly.

The website was mind hyphen trek dot com.

Go find it.
Read it.
Post it here for me.

The author sizes things up nicely.

Thank you.
And, you're welcome.

Originally Posted by tail_hunter
What is needed is for students to fear

Good luck creating a school environment that's scarier than living in a ghetto. I'm sure the teacher's beating will be more severe than those doled out by coked up muggers.

Excellent point.

Try getting some kid who has good reason to fear for his life on the way home to really give a rip out protons, neutrons and electrons.
Someone please post it.
I can't copy paste on this damned phone.

People need to read it.
NEED!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Someone please post it.
I can't copy paste on this damned phone.

People need to read it.
NEED!

Cultural Polution

The teaching method is simple.
Not magic, just simple.

It's called discipline.

You, of all on here, should recognize the root word inside there...

Disciple.
Discipline.
See the connection?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

The teaching method is simple.
Not magic, just simple.

It's called discipline.

You, of all on here, should recognize the root word inside there...

Disciple.
Discipline.
See the connection?

Add "consistency" to that formula...as a teacher I found that discipline *and* consistency made for a great classroom. It's a lot like being a parent: a ton of work; but it makes all the difference.
The pressure by the Feds to keep problem children in school is absolutely tremendous. These kids only poison the atmosphere for those kids who truly want to learn.

We need to get the Feds out of the school and stop talking about the civil rights of the "problem" children and start talking about saving those kids that are salvageable. They have civil rights too. Something the liberal intellectuals seem to forget while they are pandering to the poor and minorities.

kwg
Part of the problem is no one wants to acknowledge that all students are not equal. It is unfair and detrimental to task a student, whose intellectual capacity was met in 8th grade, with spending another four years trying to get a high school diploma. They should be prepared to go to work at their capacity and start saving up for a down payment on a house and medical fees for having children. This puts them on a more level playing field with those that get a high school diploma or more. Even with a lower pay rate, they'd have cash in the bank or the market, whereas their smarter peers would be broke or in debt for student loans at the same age.

Making them waste themselves on high school puts them at a disadvantage compared to smarter peers because they cannot compete that way. Give them several years head start working.

And if they won't work then don't feed them or help them birth their babies.
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Part of the problem is no one wants to acknowledge that all students are not equal. It is unfair and detrimental to task a student, whose intellectual capacity was met in 8th grade, with spending another four years trying to get a high school diploma. They should be prepared to go to work at their capacity and start saving up for a down payment on a house and medical fees for having children. This puts them on a more level playing field with those that get a high school diploma or more. Even with a lower pay rate, they'd have cash in the bank or the market, whereas their smarter peers would be broke or in debt for student loans at the same age.

Making them waste themselves on high school puts them at a disadvantage compared to smarter peers because they cannot compete that way. Give them several years head start working.
I've been saying the same thing for years.
I think that most responses on this thread completely miss it.

If there are not two parents at home in the first five years of their life, then they are not going to have much of a life after that without extreme amounts of intervention.

Since almost none of them have intact nuclear family units, then they will have no good present or future prospects.
Originally Posted by kevinh1157

The problem is that these children are reflection of their parents who are just as bad or worse. It is impossible for school to overcome terrible parenting.
That is very true. It is also true that it is not the responsibility of the schools to make up the deficiency at the expense of the other students, nor is it the job of the teachers to put up with the lack of respect that is shown to them.
One very good example of the nettles of the "Great Society" weeds planted by LBJ - nourished ever since by certain greedy (mostly Dem) politicians and witless liberals. But, they will be the last to acknowledge the outcomes of their work.
Originally Posted by kwg020

We need to get the Feds out of the school and stop talking about the civil rights of the "problem" children and start talking about saving those kids that are salvageable. They have civil rights too. Something the liberal intellectuals seem to forget while they are pandering to the poor and minorities.

From 1987 to 1991, I started & managed a joint venture in the automotive parts manufacturing business with a Japanese company.

I spent a fair amount of time in Japan & had several Japanese people in the plant reporting to me.

Over time, & sometimes after a fair amount of saki & beer, they would tell me that "the blacks are destroying your country".

Given the time interval & what's happened since that time, I'd say they were mostly right.

The influx of illegal Mexicans has simply made the situation worse.

YMMV or you may see thing differently...........

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

From 1987 to 1991, I started & managed a joint venture in the automotive parts manufacturing business with a Japanese company.

I spent a fair amount of time in Japan & had several Japanese people in the plant reporting to me.

Over time, & sometimes after a fair amount of saki & beer, they would tell me that "the blacks are destroying your country".

Given the time interval & what's happened since that time, I'd say they were mostly right.

The influx of illegal Mexicans has simply made the situation worse.

YMMV or you may see thing differently...........

MM

Pandering to the "problem children" in the school house is exactly what the "Great Society" programs are doing now and since LBJ and congress shoved it down our throats. Left leaning politicians are pandering to selected minorities for the votes and power and then sending the bill to working class Americans and telling us "it's good for America" that we do this. I'm not convinced.

What happens in Congress trickles down and affects America, mostly in a negative way. The Japanese outsiders you point out Montana Man got to see it from an objective point of view. (Outsiders looking in) I would venture to guess the same thing is now spreading out to the Millennials and those who have been displaced in the work place by cheap foreign labor, as well. Our future is looking bleak.
Our future is looking bleak.

As with any problem, it has to be identified for what it is & called by that name, in order to fix it.

The worst thing in this country is allowing members of congress unlimited terms, appointing SCOTUS for life & allowing them to all become extremely rich as a result of being there.

They no longer represent either the people nor the will of the people.

And, obviously, they are afraid to exercise their power to restrain the executive branch.

MM

grin

....and people think these kids are stupid.....

They are stupid, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a liberal which most teachers are. They game the system figuring they will make some money dealing or the government will give it to them. How smart do you have to be for that. If they weren't stupid they'd try to learn something so they can make a life for them selves. Most of these hood rats will end up in jail or the ground. I don't care if they end up in the ground...booo hoo. If they end up in jail we are paying for their lazy azzes.
Follow the money!
Birdy - what is a student worth, dollar-wise, to the SA school system?
Back when we pulled our daughter out (for 1 year, in the early '90's) she was worth almost 8 grand to the schools, IIRC!
I can't believe the price has gone down.
Boils down to $$$$$$. Hence we have let the students take over the asylum.
Amazing!

Some folks are just now discovering what many of us knew.....50 friggin years ago!!
Due to the depth or degredation in many NYC schools and the disgusting power of entrenched interests there - looks like a hopeless situation. Maybe best to burn it down and start over.
And there in lies the problem. Liberals think that they can change the nature of these thugs whether they are felons in prison or the Ayatollahs in Iran - with kind thoughts and rainbows of happiness.

They created the thugs through LBJ's War on the Poor. The welfare system corrupts the soul when your able to work and instead choose to leach off society. They choose welfare rather than taking care of their families. They have children in order to increase their welfare checks and mistreat them so they can live better. They choose not to earn an education, not to work and not to obey the law. This culture of evil was created by welfare and it can be killed off by ending welfare for those who could work.
This culture of evil was created by welfare and it can be killed off by ending welfare for those who could work.

Well, you're right about what created it, but it will take several generations to cure it if we cut off the welfare today.

Avalanches are hard to stop.

MM

Not that I want to play sociologist here, but there is a more basic force at work in these lives.

Without solid parenting, these kids hit puberty without any built in restraint on their urges. I'm not speaking only of their sexual urges, but any urge.

For guidance, the 12-13 year olds look up to the 17-18 year olds who are smoking, drinking, screwing, fighting and drug dealing. That's the adult life they see. They go home, and Mama is off at the club - drinking, smoking, screwing and fighting - while grandmom looks after them.

That's the life. Run by bullies and dedicated to getting high and getting laid. Not much emphasis on education, not that math or literature will benefit them in getting high or getting laid, so why bother?

Their lives are run by one simple dictum - If It Feels Good, Do it!

They created the thugs through LBJ's War on the Poor. The welfare system corrupts the soul when your able to work and instead choose to leach off society. They choose welfare rather than taking care of their families. They have children in order to increase their welfare checks and mistreat them so they can live better. They choose not to earn an education, not to work and not to obey the law. This culture of evil was created by welfare and it can be killed off by ending welfare for those who could work.
Damned right!
Originally Posted by hatari
Not that I want to play sociologist here, but there is a more basic force at work in these lives.

Without solid parenting, these kids hit puberty without any built in restraint on their urges. I'm not speaking only of their sexual urges, but any urge.

For guidance, the 12-13 year olds look up to the 17-18 year olds who are smoking, drinking, screwing, fighting and drug dealing. That's the adult life they see. They go home, and Mama is off at the club - drinking, smoking, screwing and fighting - while grandmom looks after them.

That's the life. Run by bullies and dedicated to getting high and getting laid. Not much emphasis on education, not that math or literature will benefit them in getting high or getting laid, so why bother?

If only Lincoln hadn't been assassinated.

I believe that your post is in the 10-ring.

I tutored "at risk" minority kids, all Afro-American, for awhile, but stopped when I finally realized that I cared about their success more than they did. Although I have no proof, I believe that the kids who I tutored were capable of academic success, they, as a group, just didn't view academic success as the road to a better life. I don't even know if they could envision what a better life would look like. It seems that academic success has a negative stigma in the poor Black community, in that a kid from that community who does well is "trying to be white". Heck, I even had one kid tell me that my "ride" was a POS 'cause I didn't have low-profile tires and 20" rims on it.

I knew that it was time to leave when the kids couldn't be bothered to do their homework assignments or even bring their workbooks, scratch paper, or pencils to the tutoring sessions.
At the heart of it are two things that drive the black culture of failure. 1) Lassitude. They are simply too lazy to do the work. Assuming even mediocre ability, simply doing the work expected of you, will result in at least SOME success. 2) Fear. They have a great fear (as do a lot of other people) that if they DO apply themselves, they will fail. They may. Failure is a part of life.Overcoming that failure is called character. I do not think they have any of that, so they are defeated by their fear

We need to make the consequences of "doing it" be more painful than the pleasure of "doing it", and the consequences of not doing what is expected of them more painful than the effort it takes to do them.

We need to make the consequences of "doing it" be more painful than the pleasure of "doing it", and the consequences of not doing what is expected of them more painful than the effort it takes to do them.

You are assuming that these titans of intellect have the power of foresight - they don't.

The pain of doing doing time is far greater than the pleasure of selling weed, but they do it. Being pregnant is far more inconvenient than taking The Pill, but they don't.

Their whole lives are in the moment.
You have a valid point; but I do think that if the hammer (it can be a lot of things, "time" is only one of them) is big enough, it will deter at least some of them.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I believe that your post is in the 10-ring.

I tutored "at risk" minority kids, all Afro-American, for awhile, but stopped when I finally realized that I cared about their success more than they did. Although I have no proof, I believe that the kids who I tutored were capable of academic success, they, as a group, just didn't view academic success as the road to a better life. I don't even know if they could envision what a better life would look like. It seems that academic success has a negative stigma in the poor Black community, in that a kid from that community who does well is "trying to be white". Heck, I even had one kid tell me that my "ride" was a POS 'cause I didn't have low-profile tires and 20" rims on it.

I knew that it was time to leave when the kids couldn't be bothered to do their homework assignments or even bring their workbooks, scratch paper, or pencils to the tutoring sessions.

100%. . Saw, lived and am witness to what social engineering and busing did to a whole school system, and a whole county.

The first bunch were motived and bright. Next batch were apathetic, and once the racial ratio hit 50 - 50%, the "F.U.!" attitudes became the norm and command and control of the class rooms were a thing of the past.
Originally Posted by Steve
I pine for the days when my shop teacher could stick a cattle prod on the ear ear of a sleeping student and the kid jumping awake wearing the desk around his waist.

I had a shop teacher who actually punched out 3 guys in the parking lot after school. Fat lips, swollen jaws and one lost a tooth. Ah the good old days.
© 24hourcampfire