Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10876611 01/18/16
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I am new to AR world and liking it! So I am looking for some advice on what to start picking up for a build. Rather than buy one and start changing it. From what I see there are Tons of parts out there to use but I would like to know whats good vs bad?

Applejack23

"ALL IT TAKES IS A LITTLE TRY!"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay away from gun show AR's and parts, anything made in China, and deals that sound too good to be true. If you find something that you aren't sure of, do a quick google search and you likely will find tons of info on it.

There are too many manufacturers making AR's and parts out there to list but for the most part, you get what you pay for. Good parts are not cheap parts.

Palmetto State Armory seems to offer a good product at low prices, just don't buy any of their "PTAC" line. Keep an eye on their website as they have real good deals now and then. Slow shipping though.

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/18/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
A
A
Suggest the MK 12 Mod 0 or Mod 1 blueprints.

Made by Crane Ind......contractor for DOD.

No longer made but info is on web.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They are working on the shipping speed....I placed a order Friday at 4pm and got a tracking # at 11pm.I about chit my pants...It usually takes five to seven days to get a tracking #....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would use Spikes for the Upper and Lower and Lower parts kit and buffer tube Kit. Great quality and priced reasonable. for the barrel I would go with Faxon Barrels or Ballistic Advantage Barrels. Rail of your Choice I like ALG M-lock and Midwest M-lock.

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 01/18/16.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just built one with an Anderson lower. Not quite as tight as some but not as loose as a colt upper lower fit. For the money what bad can be said for the Anderson lowers???

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Aero Precision makes some real nice stuff great fit and finish. Aero even offers cerakote finish on their stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I just built one with an Anderson lower. Not quite as tight as some but not as loose as a colt upper lower fit. For the money what bad can be said for the Anderson lowers???

I bought one of the cheap Anderson's and the worst thing about it was it's coffee black color. A friend bought a complete rifle and it was a true black.

You have to be pretty damn picky to not like the Anderson.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got several Anderson receivers, they are just like any other good forged lower. Nice finish and function well. The ones I have assembled have a nice tight fit on the uppers I have.

All brands have loose and tight receivers, it's just luck of the draw. My colt feels like it had been bedded and they are supposed to be rattle traps. My BCM was supposed to be tight and it wobbles. There is no way to be sure without buying matched receiver sets and even then some of those have some play.

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/18/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wareagle, if you don't mind what's the issue with the PTAC assemblies from PSA? I get a little confused by all the different variants and acronyms they use..?
Thanks..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
somebody told me there was some relationship between Daniel Defense and Anderson, what do you think...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
As far as barrel White Oak Armament makes some great barrel's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Wareagle, if you don't mind what's the issue with the PTAC assemblies from PSA? I get a little confused by all the different variants and acronyms they use..?
Thanks..

PTAC is PSA's seconds or maybe even thirds from what I understand. I've read enough bad reviews on them to know to avoid it. Just figured I would pass that along.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wareagle700

There are too many manufacturers making AR's and parts out there to list but for the most part, you get what you pay for. Good parts are not cheap parts.

True words..........if the OP doesn't get anything else out of this thread, get that.

I'd only say that unless you have the tools, a good bench vise & barrel jaws or an action block, buy a complete upper with the barrel & rail installed. The lower doesn't require much other than a wrench to install the buffer tube.

MM

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks guys! Not to sound dumb but what tools do I need? Is there a specific type of action block that's better than another?

"ALL IT TAKES IS A LITTLE TRY!"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You will need a set of roll pin Holder punches...Don't try to install the Bolt release pin with out one!!!! You will bugger up your lower...Tape off the lower with Masking tape before you start..Also be careful when you install the trigger guard start the pin then push a piece of masking tape over it then gently drive it in flush ...Nothing says Kitchen table build like buggered up pin holes.

Also after you install the trigger in the lower don't dry fire unless you put your hand in front of the hammer...you can Damage the lower or your trigger.

Warning Warning building and playing with AR 15s can lead to loss of sleep and a empty bank account and pissed off Wife !!!!!!! cry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try vise grips with the jaws covered in tape for installing the bolt release roll pin.

I scratched the receiver one time using a roll pin punch on that. smirk

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I quit using punches as well. Channel locks wrapped in electrical tape is the only way to go. I mask off with electrical tape as well just to be safe.

Channel locks and a cheap castle nut wrench is all one needs to assemble lowers. You can get a mag well block, but they aren't needed. Heck, You can tighten the castle nut with channel locks as well if your cheap and mask it well with electrical tape.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, works well on the trigger guard roll pin too.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Grease the roll pins. I didn't grease my bolt stop pin and it was a PITA. Then when I did the trigger guard, I grease and it was like butter. Much easier. Alot less beating and banging. Just a tiny drop of action grease is all it takes. I used some Browning grease out of a syringe I had in my cleaning box.

"Warning Warning building and playing with AR 15s can lead to loss of sleep and a empty bank account"

^^^^Facts. It's worse than a crack habit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (12344mag, akrange, 2500HD, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 8 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,085
Posts18,501,687
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.