-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a older Ruger m77 stainless three position safety that doesn't shoot the way I would like my questions are if I rebarrel should I send back to Ruger they will rebarrel for wat seems to be $215 or send to a trusted gunsmith have them look over barrel and decide if it can be rechambered in maybe 28 nosler or rebarrel by the in 28 or 26 nosler I am from Minnesota I'd like to keep me business somewhat localized if possible just wanted some opinions presented to me thanks

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Take it to a good gunsmith and have him look it over, it might not be the barrel. There are a lot of things that can make a rifle shoot poorly. If I were going to rebarrel I would put a good custom barrel on it, sending it back to Ruger is just asking for more of the same that you have now. I wouldn't rechamber an already poor shooting barrel, you'll just have a bad shooting 28 nosler instead of a bad shooting 7mm rem mag.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yep what Crow said

Just my 2 cents.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
First question are you talking factory ammo, or handloads?
If factory how many have you tried?
If handloads, how many powder bullet combinations?
What size groups are you getting?
Bench set up or something to get you shooting kind of steady?

I ask all of these nosey questions because they are all info that need be the basis of a rational decision for suggestions.

Do you really want a gun chambered in 28 Nosler?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And what kind of stock does it wear?
Is it bedded?

I had an old M77 7RM rebarreled a few years back. I went with the same chambering again but Lilja stainless on the barrel. No regrets on the way it shoots now. Verified my zero this weekend after a scope swap and it put two shots nearly touching at 300 and the next two about an inch and half apart at 400. I called it "ready to hunt".

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It shoots inch and a half groups its in a Boyd's stock free floated not bedded I don't think it is real beneficial to bed this one I guess I could try it tho I have shot factory loads and I do normally hand load I have tried o 6-8 different types of bullets and 6-8 types of powder all seem to shoot similar its not a terrible shooter I just want a little more I do have some more test loads ready and I have bedded multiple rifles with success I have also retorqued the action screws and multiple scopes I shoot out of a lead sled and am capable of shooting nice groups with plenty of my other guns any one know a good Smith in Minnesota maybe even a member thanks for the info and replies

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ramrod340
Yep what Crow said
+2

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No ideas on a good Smith for me to send it to yet

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Send it to Redneck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redneck is next to ya in WI

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Might experiment with a pressure point out on end of stock instead of free float on this particular rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jim kobe is up in that froze land also.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wouldn't send it back to Ruger -- they don't know what accuracy means. I sent back a Hawkeye and they returned it with a 1 1/2" 3-shot group SHOT AT 50 YARDS and a note saying nothing was wrong. Apparently they consider that acceptable accuracy.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by postoak
I wouldn't send it back to Ruger -- they don't know what accuracy means. I sent back a Hawkeye and they returned it with a 1 1/2" 3-shot group SHOT AT 50 YARDS and a note saying nothing was wrong. Apparently they consider that acceptable accuracy.

Depends on the meaning of "is"...... smile

Should still be able to kill a deer to 300 yards with it.

But no - I too would want to tighten it up some by re-bedding and free-floating, adjusting the trigger to 2 1/2 to 3 lb. My Rugers (all tang models, in original wood stocks) shot/shoot groups in the 1 1/4 inch range or smaller at 100, with most factory or reloads, but all required some tweaking to get there.

As said above in another post, I'd bed the sucker, experimenting with free-float, some fore-end pressure, and even full length bedding (plus different loads) before re-barreling.

I have bedded a number of "drop-in" stocks, and every single one of them showed an increase in accuracy afterward.

Last edited by las; 01/17/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Getting a barrel before you know about the following is premature.

Is the trigger good?
Is the action bedded free of stress, barrel floated
Mag box not binding
Screws not touching the wood.
Screws tightened properly? Front farmer tight, rear pretty tight, middle just in.

Its a pretty rare Ruger that won't do better than 1.5" if you take care of those things.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the info I am going to try bedding this and cause even if rebarreled the action bedding should be the same is it better to piller bed or just simply skim I have done both but not with this angling front action/recoil lug system

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I wanna thank you guys again my action seems to be in a bind of some sort im going to piller bed it and get it set right I will let you know the results

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (1lessdog, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,807
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.