Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I have often felt like a good 357 magnum revolver was essential in a person's battery. I have owned a 3/4 ton truck load over the years, and only regret parting with a 3 inch Model 66, and a 5 inch model 27.

The cartridge is a rock solid performer, but it does not come with a free lunch. The recoil and muzzle blast are substantial. Anyone who has touched one off can vouch for that.

One of the first firearms I bought for my son was a 4 inch Smith and Wesson 686. I still believe that a man should own one, BUT, I can't say that I enjoy shooting the 357 magnum.

My latest 357 is a Ruger. GP100 with a 5 inch barrel. I believe it is a dealer exclusive, and not a regular catalog item. It should be strong enough to shoot any kind of magnum handload out of, if the need arises, but truthfully, I'd rather shoot a stout 45 colt.

What are your feelings on the 357? Is it still viable?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About like yours. Owned many; kept none. It's one of the most versatile, but it doesn't do anything as well as others and the negatives are stark enough to have it always go away in place of a couple other cartridges that fill various roles better (IMHO).

Were I restricted to one handgun only, ever, the .357 would get a far more serious look.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 4ager

Were I restricted to one handgun only, ever, the .357 would get a far more serious look.

So it appears that the 357 is like a 30-06 rifle.

I don't care much for the '06, either.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

The .357 has taken some big doe venison in my circle of hunter friends.
The bullets offered today , by Hornady & Barnes, are surely all better than the 158 LRN. of yesteryear.
As a personal defense weapon , the choice is high cap autos , but none except the .357 SIG , is gonna do any better than a couple of 140 gr. HP. slugs to center mass.

With a Smith or Ruger, you mentioned above...
You will not be undegunned in the field 《 cept' for Bear , & riled up Moose》

Silver bullets by Oregon Trail. (180 gr.) are great for loading.....
Not a loader? Cartridges by Double Tap, & Buffalo Bore, will give you... everything you need.

Glad I held on to my 8" Colt Python .... still nice, but a shooter..... nonetheless....... not gonna sell it to no one, # best to pull it's trigger once in a while.

Never judge a man..till you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way... you will be a mile away from him... and you will have his shoes.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Some are just stuck in the past. I got 2 myself and doubt I will ever be without them. They are just to versatile to be written off.

A lot of us around here remember the days of few choices in the defensive handgun market, but good 357s where plentiful and a lot of us started copping with a whelel gun.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I carried a 4 inch 66 in my first policing job. I didn't feel all that under gunned in those days, but there are a great many choices these days, that make me wonder if the 357 is still as versatile as it used to be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I have often felt like a good 357 magnum revolver was essential in a person's battery. I have owned a 3/4 ton truck load over the years, and only regret parting with a 3 inch Model 66, and a 5 inch model 27.

The cartridge is a rock solid performer, but it does not come with a free lunch. The recoil and muzzle blast are substantial. Anyone who has touched one off can vouch for that.

One of the first firearms I bought for my son was a 4 inch Smith and Wesson 686. I still believe that a man should own one, BUT, I can't say that I enjoy shooting the 357 magnum.

My latest 357 is a Ruger. GP100 with a 5 inch barrel. I believe it is a dealer exclusive, and not a regular catalog item. It should be strong enough to shoot any kind of magnum handload out of, if the need arises, but truthfully, I'd rather shoot a stout 45 colt.

What are your feelings on the 357? Is it still viable?

Always viable. Not essential but certainly a good choice for almost everything. If you're a survivalist type it's just a great caliber to have because it's so darned prolific, especially when the 38 is added in. One of the best calibers.

Boring as hell. I seldom shoot one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doubt I'll let my 686+ go. Put it on my hip today before going down into Indian country, but it was printing a bit much for the clothes I was wearing.

Guess I baby it a bit. Shoot mostly .38's through it. Lot more than full load .357's. Doubt I'll wear it out any time soon.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like you, CT, I've had a bunch of 357's, but don't own any now. There are a few like one of the stainless Security-Sixes or Model 66's that I've owned and wish I had back, but I have generally moved on to the 44 and 45 Colt in revolvers and 9mm and 45 ACP in semi-autos. I don't feel like I'm missing out by not having or shooting a 357. But.....now that I think about it....................

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have to own one, it matches my 16 inch 1894 in 357.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
On the other hand, I absolutely adore the 38 Special, which is about all the 357 revolver gets fed.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've also owned a few of them. Interesting how our outlook has changed on them over the years. Now down to two, a 5 screw pre-27 with 5" barrel, just because I like 5" N frames, and a Colt original Trooper.

The Trooper normally stayed in Dad's tool box at work. One day three mean drunks started demanding service at Dad's garage, and grew belligerent when he declined. The Trooper was retrieved and the drunks suddenly became sober and polite, remembering business elsewhere. It shoots well and deserves better grips than I have on it.

In its original loadings the .357 was famous as a decisive fight stopper. I expect it would still do that today, especially in a large frame revolver, with original spec loads. Could also work for deer hunting with the heavier modern bullets. In one cylinder you could load snake loads, defensive loads, target loads, and heavy game loads - and the gun would function just fine, unlike an autoloader. And you wouldn't have to hunt your brass after shooting it. smile

I'd like to have a 6" Python, but not enough to justify the cost. I found a long time ago I can shoot a 1911 faster & more accurately than any DA revo - and obviously capacity is higher.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have 3, a 4" Mod 66, a 4" Mod 19, and a 2" Mod 60. Versatile as they come, with the different ammo choices available between 357 and 38, but I find myself not shooting them much any more. If I was limited to only having 1 handgun, the 66 would get the nod.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Some may argue the value of the 357, but there is no denying the versatility of this cartridge in this gun, a S&W 686+, 7 shots of compact killing power...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have several .357's but I rarely shoot .357 Magnum. Why? Because it is simultaneously too much and not enough. Too much recoil and blast in typical guns (6" and below)--I might as well use a 44 Special if I need power. And if I need serious downrange power in the .357 bore, I can get that with my .357 Maximum without having to lean on the powder measure and accelerate wear on my guns with hot loads of spherical powders.

The .357 is a great round and I will never be without one (or two, or the dozen or so I've accumulated) but my .357 revolvers will see 1000 38spl's for every round in magnum brass. That includes the 173gr Keith load in 38spl brass I use in my S&W M27's given the short cylinder length.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've had a few, just have one now, a 4" Security Six.

I suppose what I like about it is you can load it up, load it down, load it with snakeshot, load any bullet profile, it works.

I also like it because you don't have to chase brass. That's especially nice when there's snow on the ground.

I've been enjoying mine with 170gr Keith SWC over 5.0 gr Unique, in 38 Spl cases.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've owned 2, a 4 inch and a 6 inch GP100, I traded the 6 inch off in 89 IIRC and still have the 4 inch, but haven't shot it in several years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I presently own three 357 Magnum pistols and couldn't imagine not owning at least one, love the 357

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own a fair bit, a couple of old Ruger Flattops, a Security Six snubbie, a 3" SP101 and a 4" M66. All only see 38 Special's, sometimes +P's. If I want more thump it comes via diameter.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (1100mag, Anaconda, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.