Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm looking at replacing my old (30 yrs.) spotting scope. I spent most of my optics budget on a pair of Swaro 10x42EL rangefinders a couple of years ago. My price point is one thousand or less. It's between the Zen Rays or the Vanguard Endeavers. I've looked through both and like what I see and how they handle. What I don't know is how they perform in real world hunting situations. Can they take the normal wear and tear of a hunt. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tag, because I'd like to know as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Avoid any with fluorite lenses. That type of low-dispersion glass doesn't like temperature swings. This has been known since fluorite was first used in expensive 35mm camera lenses. For example, the Kowa spotter is excellent, but not known for its durability. It is great for range use, very good for bird watching, but not so much for hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want durable spotter, and plan to pack it in a rucksack, jump out of planes, let it dangle at the end of a lowering line, and plop on the ground when you land, then get the Leupold HD 12-40x60, 'cause that is what SF teams do with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree the Leupold 60mm seems to be very durable. I don't recall hearing any that shook loose. I have the 60mm HD myself. I like Kowa, but heard of, and know guys that had issues after they got knocked over at matches.

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Interesting I have heard the same claims but never known anyone firsthand who had durability issues with kowa spotters. Ive seen sniper teams in ranger bat using them so they can't be that brittle. I only have 1 hunting season on my kowa and its taken a few spills and has some nicks and blemishes but still works as new, time will tell how it holds up.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I know the Nikon Fieldscopes ( 60mm and the 82mm) are built like a tank. Very tough metal bodies. And they are made in Japan- ( like the Kowa's); unlike the Chinese made Zen Ray, and Vanguard's.

Kowa's are awesome scopes. I think the glass in them is tough. It is the plastic/ polycarbonate bodies? that I have seen and heard to be possibly a problem. That is where reports of problems have been. I once saw a Kowa take a side ways fall off of a bench onto concrete, and the body definitely busted up there. Not a good scene with any optic; but possibly more problem with a plastic/ polycarbonate body.

One time many years ago my nephew dropped about 10' a polycarbonate body B&L 7x26 Custom Compact onto granite by Lake Tahoe. That body did not do great either- put a big cracked hole into the side of it. B&L actually repaired it for me gratis.

Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had not considered the Kowa scope. The TSN601 scope with 20-60X eyepiece is on sale right now for 599.00. This is the 60mm version. It is not the Prominar model so I don't know about quality. In my looking at the Vanguard Endeaver it seemed to offer a lot for its price range. Like I said in my original post, I spend most of my time behind my binos, just looking for the best durable scope I can find for the money left in my optics budget. The leupold HD model 12-40X60 was a little out of my range but the non-HD model was well within it. I don't know if I'd regret not getting an HD model or not. Most of my long range glassing is antelope and elk or deer. I don't need to count the rings on a sheeps horn. I appreciate you guys opinions that goes a long ways with me.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I believe the only kowa spotters that have the poly body are the 600 series, the 660 to 880 have magnesium bodies.

Take a look at the pentex pf 65ed too, its in your price range and I've heard good things about it. Watch eBay as well some times there are killer deals on kowa spotters.

Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Bluemonday and Terryk, how much would I be giving up in performance by going with the non-HD Leupold rather than the HD model. Would it be enough for an average hunter like myself to notice a difference. The non-HD model is within my price range where the HD model is not. Since you brought up the Leupolds I went back and checked some of my photos of different hunts. I noticed several of my guides used the Leupolds. These were antelope, elk and deer hunts. I agree if it works for SF it should be good enough for me. Just curious about the HD thing.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the NON-HD 12-40x60 Gold Ring

It is crystal clear and a joy to use

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Tamale
Bluemonday and Terryk, how much would I be giving up in performance by going with the non-HD Leupold rather than the HD model. Would it be enough for an average hunter like myself to notice a difference. The non-HD model is within my price range where the HD model is not. Just curious about the HD thing.

All I can say is, I can see the difference between the two on a resolution target. Save up, get a Cabela's credit card or something to get a discount, or try to find a place that has both and let you look through them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Save your money and skip the HD

But indeed buy an exceptional tripod....don't skimp here

Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
tedhorn, I have an Outdoorsmans tripod, so that is not an issue.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bluemonday and Terryk, how much would I be giving up in performance by going with the non-HD Leupold rather than the HD model. Would it be enough for an average hunter like myself to notice a difference. The non-HD model is within my price range where the HD model is not. Since you brought up the Leupolds I went back and checked some of my photos of different hunts. I noticed several of my guides used the Leupolds. These were antelope, elk and deer hunts. I agree if it works for SF it should be good enough for me. Just curious about the HD thing.

Last year I asked a Leupold Tech the same question.The answer was unless I was bird watching I would be more than happy with the NonHD model.I bought it and am very pleased with it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tedhorn, I have an Outdoorsmans tripod, so that is not an issue.

Excellent

Now get you a 12-40 Gold Ring my friend!!!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Been packing the Leupold 12-40x60 HD for about 12 years on elk hunts, mule deer hunts, and sheep hunts. It's not a Swaro but it's tough. Non HD model that my buddy has isn't as clear but appears to be as tough. Been thinking about upgrading but I can't find anything as small and tough so I stick with it. Probably never get rid of it.

Cross

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like my Leupold Gold Ring Spotter. I think I paid $600 for it used in exceptional condition. It is a late standard definition version.

It may not be in the same league optically as the alpha glass spotters but it has a great field of view, good image quality, and it is compact and packable. It serves double duty as range glass and has never left me needing.

I have no desire to replace it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.