Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've seen the topic of case neck runout come up from time to time, so that got me wondering about my own loads. I decided to check my case necks before and after resizing. Most of the time when i read topics covering this subject, full length dies with exspander balls are offten suspected.

I checked brass fired in my chamber this hunting season with a sinclair concintricity gage. I then resized the necks in a redding full length die with exspander ball, and checked again. I found that most all my brass once fired in my chamber had a neck runout of .001 - .0015 I had one case with nearly .002. After resizing i find that most all are either a few tenths of a thou, to .001.

I conclude that my full length resizer must have a stem running true with the exspander not pulling the necks crooked. If anyone sees a flaw with what im doing, ease edjucate me. So far I've been happy with rhe reaults. Video link posted bellow.

HR IC

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I guess the only portion of this I could question is will the stem stay centered after hundreds and hundreds of FL sizing. I have noticed over decades, that the stems get off center. I won't try to diagnose why, but it does happen. You are doing exactly what you need to do, checking run out.

I personally do what Mule Deer suggested, and run the expander plug way up in the die. Then I use the Lee neck die. I usually gain about half a thousands by sizing the neck.

Your results are about as good as it gets, but just keep on checking for run out.

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FredWillis
I guess the only portion of this I could question is will the stem stay centered after hundreds and hundreds of FL sizing. I have noticed over decades, that the stems get off center. I won't try to diagnose why, but it does happen. You are doing exactly what you need to do, checking run out.

I personally do what Mule Deer suggested, and run the expander plug way up in the die. Then I use the Lee neck die. I usually gain about half a thousands by sizing the neck.

Your results are about as good as it gets, but just keep on checking for run out.

I've noticed that in the past with a 7mm Rem Mag. I ordered a new stem, and after a little trial and error I was able to get back to making straight necks. I'll have to investigate Mule Deer's suggested technique. Sounds interesting. Right now I'm afraid to mess with it since I seem to be getting straight necks as it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Sometimes, it's just the sizer body - whether it's a FL or NK sizer. Been having a hell of a time with a Redding 35 Whelen neck sizer. Ran thru all the diagnostics. With the expander (about the size of a bull's prick) in, I was averaging about 10 thou runout after sizing. There was clearly a problem with the expander plug being caddywhompus with the stem. Tried the sizer off an RCBS FL die and cut it in about half. Finally, I just sized necks in the die body only. 4 thou every time. I could be 3 thou if I turned the case 90 deg and tried again.

The die is going back to Redding for their analysis and hopefully replacement. Just about ready to have Lee make me a custom Collet Die.

BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Sometimes, it's just the sizer body - whether it's a FL or NK sizer. Been having a hell of a time with a Redding 35 Whelen neck sizer. Ran thru all the diagnostics. With the expander (about the size of a bull's prick) in, I was averaging about 10 thou runout after sizing. There was clearly a problem with the expander plug being caddywhompus with the stem. Tried the sizer off an RCBS FL die and cut it in about half. Finally, I just sized necks in the die body only. 4 thou every time. I could be 3 thou if I turned the case 90 deg and tried again.

The die is going back to Redding for their analysis and hopefully replacement. Just about ready to have Lee make me a custom Collet Die.

I always argue for a replacement when my die's do not work as per the manufacturers instructions. .010 of runout is a lot. Considering the luck i have with reddings die's i figure my chances of getting a good one are pretty high.

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution to your problem.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,565
Posts18,531,767
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.