Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just did an inventory and I'm fairly well fixed, but now that I've got a .223 again, I need to pick up some more SRs. I'd be happy to try the Tulas, but they're just not available locally, and my limited needs make paying hazmat too pricey.

One of the older packs of CCIs had the price marked on it- $1.45!

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where does one find foreign primers? I've never seen them here in PA.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
On Internet sites.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen the Tula's at a gun show or two also, granted, a year or so back.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Powder Valley has not had Tula Primers for a while. I wonder what's going on with that...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So, in a nut shell:
--No one knows how to actually make contact with Win Ammunition and to be able to get any relief from the problems with their WLR primers.

--Everyone is just quietly going to other makers as available and letting their Win primers set or selling them off to unsuspecting users.

I was hoping that someone would actually be in the know or the loop on this.

I guess if I label primers with a disclaimer at gun show, I would them with the knowledge that their are some issues.
Not the best solution in my mind, but...
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is the place:

http://www.winchester.com/Product-Service/Pages/Contact-Us.aspx

I don't know what they'll do for you, but others have reported that they will send out a truck for defective primers, replace them, and reimburse you for repairs to your rifle. I requested information about bad lot numbers and got back a form letter. Perhaps a complaint about actual damage will do better.

There's another thread here about this with a list of lot numbers known to have issues, plus some added single lot numbers. I spent an hour or so surfing around and came up with a whole bunch more from various forums, more than I have time to type in. Gven that I've got maybe $50 worth of WLRs, none of which are from the reportedly bad lots, it's easiest to just bail on them. I'll try to sell or give them away, with full disclosure, and move on.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Powder Valley has not had Tula Primers for a while. I wonder what's going on with that...

John

I've never visited their site before today. Looks like they have good prices, but seem to be out of everything everyone else is out of. It's one more place to look, though. Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the past my local Sportsmans Warehouse has had Tula primers. But now-a-days they seem about as common there as Federal 210M's or 215M's...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing about Tula small-rifle primers (and some other brands) is they offer several models, which differ in cup hardness/thickness.

The Tula SR primer I'm using is their "softest," the KVB-223. Despite the model name, they don't recommend it for AR-15's, or any other cartridge where pressures are normally much over 50,000 PSI.

But I load a lot of cartridges where standard SAAMI pressures don't exceed 50,000, including the .17 Hornady Hornet and .22 Hornet, and 50,000 is the SAAMI maximum average pressure for the .222 Remington. The KVB-223 works fine in all three of those rounds, and I've also had no problems with it in the .17 Fireball (SAAMI MAP 55,000), where accuracy was as good as with any other primer, and in normal loads in bolt-action .223's. But I usually use tougher-cup primers in the .223, because I might use any of my .223 handloads in an AR-15.

If you tend to push pressures by working up loads until you encounter "pressure signs," you'll probably encounter some with the Tula KVB-223. It would not, for instance, be a primer I'd recommend for the .223 Ackley Improved, or any of the factory rounds where SAAMI pressures (and hence published loading data) exceed 55,000 PSI. The list of such cartriges might surprise you. As an example, while the .17 Fireball's SAAMI MAP is only 55,000 PSI, the .221 Fireball's is 60,000.

Some other small-rifle primers aren't recommended for higher-pressure rounds, including the Remington 6-1/2. I describe the history and reasons behind all this in my new handloading book, but thought posting a caution here would also be a good idea.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just a note: This is of course indirect evidence, but chrono results suggest the S&B 5.3LR primer is pretty mild. In a number of tests** it has been about 25 fps behind the CCI200 with several powders.

**Ten shot strings over an Oehler 35P

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Pappy348
I will put in my complaint and see what response comes back.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I need to reload some 308 ammo for an AR10. But I can’t find any CCI #34 primers around here or in Houston. I don’t want to order off the web because of the hazardous material shipping charge. What would be a safe primer for a 308 auto? I have CCI 200 & 250, Federal 210, 210M, 215 & 215M, Winchester LR and Wolf LRM in my loading room. The Winchester LR primers are older and I have had no problems loading them in 25-06 and 308 bolt guns.

Richard

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've gathered that the CCI200 is fine for avoiding slam fires in M1A loads.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had a talk with a long-time CCI employee about the mil-spec primers a year or so ago. It turns out they don't have thicker cups, as many people believe, or even "lower" anvils. Instead they have more rounded anvils, which helps prevent slam-fires when primers are seated slightly "proud" of the case-head.

The biggie is making sure any of them are seated deeply enough, but I have run thousands of BR-4's and 450's in various AR-15's with zero slam-fires.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dang it, now I need to swap from WLR and WLRM to Federal.

I used to be happily ignorant...

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Some other small-rifle primers aren't recommended for higher-pressure rounds, including the Remington 6-1/2. I describe the history and reasons behind all this in my new handloading book, but thought posting a caution here would also be a good idea.
I know what you mean about the 6-1/2s. I was using 7-1/2s in my .222, but switched to the sixes after reading Pet Loads, even though Ken's update used the sevens. Backed 1/2 grain off my powder charge to keep the primers looking pretty after firing. May have picked up a tenth or two in accuracy, maybe not. But, I've got a brick to go through, and minute-of-Coffeemate-bottle at 300 meters is fine for me.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just did an inventory and I'm fairly well fixed, but now that I've got a .223 again, I need to pick up some more SRs. I'd be happy to try the Tulas, but they're just not available locally, and my limited needs make paying hazmat too pricey.

One of the older packs of CCIs had the price marked on it- $1.45!

LOL I still have packs of primers in the CENTS range of pricing...

I have a powder can, sans powder, IIRC, somewhere, around 1.?? or 2.?? dollars...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What year did problems with Winchester primers seem to surface? All my WLR's are marked with a sharpie purchased from the 2005-2007 year range. (have a good supply)

They are all I use to load the LeverEvolution rounds for our nine 30-30 rifles.

I did once see a partial lot number list but was wondering what approximate years they were produced?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Thanks Pappy348
I will put in my complaint and see what response comes back.
Tim

PM sent Roadkill.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.