Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Recently acquired pre-mil 99F 308 with a cut butt. It was slicker, lighter and handier than I'd imagined it would be. BUT, I did not like the pad nor especially the angle of the cut and promptly started messing with it. Ended up deciding to change the angle completely and put a different pad on it. By then I had a few marks on it... THEN got to looking and thinking and looking and thinking and decided to cut the flutes. Figured WTH it's already been demoted to shooter, right? Whatever, what's done is done... A bit of sanding, a few coats of Tru-Oil, some buffing and here it is. Didn't sand the forearm at all just added oil. To ME, it's aok; the lighting was poor for pictures. Additional struggles: first go at the scope mounting was no bueno and had to do some shimming to get things to line up within reason, I hope. The 2-7 Heavy Duplex suits it well I think, and yes the rotation was intestinal... Hoping to sight in this weekend... Oh, and the only suitable pad I had was a whiteline - I didn't have the heart to do that so it's painted black! Have to DRAW THE LINE somewhere - right? LOL grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it works for you, then it works for me too. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, ended up looking decent enough for hunting. Though I'd have considered painting the entire pad black. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the rifle looks fine with the flutes on the comb. The factory should have done that anyway and did on some. I would have went with a different pad though but it ain't my gun. You have to please yourself.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, and I would've re-cut the checkering too. All in all a nice job though. The ventilated pad gives it a retro 50's look. Just how short did the butt stock end up? Looks pretty short but that could be from the angles in the pics.

Bottom line, if it shoots well and suits you that's all that matters.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it just me or does it seem like more people in the past modified the 99's than other brands and models? I'm sure back in the day other brands and models were modified it just seems like some of the mass of 99's produced were modified in one way or the other. Anyway just thinking......

Steve

Me thinking is scary!!

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steve,
Nobody modifies 99's. That would be an act of sacrilege. Even speaking it is heresy.

Have a nice day.
Roy

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Steve,
Nobody modifies 99's. That would be an act of sacrilege. Even speaking it is heresy.

Have a nice day.
Roy

...no, nobody here anyway.

I think this wood refinish, and fluting looks great, definitely A-OK!

I never could warm up to ventilated pads, but recoil pads fix a whole range of poorly cut butts.

Last edited by JeffG; 12/30/15.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
In response to modifying 99s in the past, I've seen quite a few chopped and padded pre-64 Model 70s as well as other makes. I think the "must do" mods for updating rifles in the 50s and 60s was installing kick pads and drilling for scope mounts. It would be interesting knowing how many rifles "went under the knife" in those decades and transformed into what today we call "shooters." But I really can't blame those guys for being short sighted to the future value of these firearms as we, for most things like this, should live for the day.

Last edited by S99VG; 12/30/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oddly enough the one gun from that era that I rarely see having been modified is the M94 Winchester.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't kick hard enough to need a pad, and was hard to mount a scope on with it's top eject. Nobody wanted a big flat forearm for bench shooting a 30-30 either, so it seems. Just about perfect for what it was intended for.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would have 2 say the model 1894 winchesters. Are the mostly molested that I have seen. Then of course the springield 1903s get lots a bubba love also.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I would have 2 say the model 1894 winchesters. Are the mostly molested that I have seen. Then of course the springield 1903s get lots a bubba love also.

You Idaho guys always have to be disagreeable. laugh BTW, that was a pretty nice 99F 308 when I sold it to him, even better now! I like the fluting.

LOL
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a 1967 F with the flutes on the comb. Also has a vented recoil pad added, which helps with a .358.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have many rifles with steel buttplates, a few savages and several old military. It has occurred to me that no matter how soft the steel they used on the butt the dang thing can hurt to shoot! As nice as it is to have a Savage with the original steel butplate, I never really mind shooting one with a rubber recoil pad. I think you did a bang up job with the stock and recoil pad, and if it makes the gun more bearable to shoot, then so be it. It's still a hansome rifle, and cudos for using a classy Leupold scope to boot!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I think the reason a lot of 03s and 03A3s went to the "chop shop" was because good old Uncle Sam sold them off for way under price. You once could get a brand new 03A3 for 13-bucks, which was dirt cheap even in the 1950s when compared to the price of new rifles or used guns, given you could find a used one.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
gnoahhh, It's ~12.5". The length was roughly 1/8" more when I got it but it slanted opposite I have always thought correct, it was longest at the heel. Anyways, made it so butt down against the wall the barrel tip is about 1 3/4 from the wall, or there about's. Flutes are ala old Kimber, the only way I know.

NOW what about sling studs? Kidding! At least I didn't paint it, huh Roy... LOL. Really though, thanks for the square deal. wink A couple things I'll add is how pleased I am with the Tru-Oil, great stuff. Last year someone posted in the gunsmithing forum about using Mr Clean Magic Eraser to buff away the shine and it works like a champ. Looks mucho better without the flash - including the red pad.

Happy New Year all ya'all.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
No problem with me adding sling swivels. The butt stock is already altered. For the front I'd add the type of swivel that screws into the forearm stud. I also think that the quick change slings look good on 99s. Boyt used to make a nice quick change sling, but their quality really took a dump when they moved production overseas.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ok... Got a couple range sessions in and noticed that upon closing, the lever contacts the wood about 1/2" behind the receiver. Guessing that this is not desirable with the breakage potential?

Easily remedied and may take the opportunity to fit a 1" pad for a bit more length. And add a rear stud....

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 01/26/16. Reason: Crashed

--- Kid Rock 2022

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
See if you can find someone to make that lever into a "Big-Loop" model. Now THAT would be cool! grin

Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 48 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,235
Posts18,504,442
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.