Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jericho
Most people would be surprised at the population of owls in their
area because they never see them. I have heard that a great horned owl will kill and eat a skunk, that is something I would like to see.

Cats and small dogs too!

We had barn owls in the palm trees in our tract in SoCal. Folks little FiFi dogs were known to have gone missing after being let out to go PeePee!

Of course, the coyotes that were gone for years have moved back into the area and they seem to be the primary reason for dogs and cats coming up "gone" now.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We don't have Barred Owls around here GC but I've heard others talk about the "who cooks for you" call.....
Owls are definitely cool.....checking on my little buddy every day breaks up the monotony of empty traps....I'm hoping he/she'll stick around if I build em a house....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When I was an enterprising young lad I used to go out at night and pick worms to sell to the fishermen. We always had owls around the yard. Our area of Ohio had a lot of beech trees, which always had lots of hollow spots making great nesting cavities. We had a vapor light in the yard that came on at dusk every night, and the little screech owls worked the perimeter of the light's shadow picking off bugs. We used to sit out there in the lawn chairs and watch them coming out for the night shift.

It didn't take them long to figure out that my flashlight attracted bugs, and before long, I got buzzed for the firs time. It's a little unnerving for the first time when one of those little brown missiles comes between you and the ground picking bugs out of your light as your bent over picking worms. I must have jumped about a foot! Needless to say I set a new world's speed record running for the back door of the house. As time went on, I got used to seeing them out there. They'd land right above me in the trees and pick their spots to launch their attacks. They never struck me but sure came close a couple times.

We have screechers in the pine trees in our back yard every year now, and a pair of big owls nesting in the woods at the end of our street every late winter. I hear them calling to each other down there all the time when I'm leaving early for work. Saw a big bird soaring into the tall trees down there one morning. I think they're barn owls, but the could be some other owl, I guess.

If you're ever interested in what they might be, Cornell Univ has a cool site with sounds too (for all kinds of birds, not just owls). Poke around the owls section and listen to different ones, I bet you hear "yours".

The number of sounds a particular type of owl can make is amazing (to me anyway)

Here's a common one heard around the US.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/sounds

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on the edge of town here and we've had a variety of wildlife come in. Also some GHO's that I've heard in the fall, and seen them hunting at dusk. They seem to have cleaned out most all of the cottontail rabbits that were chowing down on landscaping. And a couple of lost foo-foo dog flyers have shown up in the neighborhood, too smirk

The European Eagle Owl, FWIW, sounds like a person saying the word, "who". I was at an exhibit of rescued birds once, looking at a couple of falcons, when I kept hearing the word "who" I turned around wondering who was talking, and there was no one there. I finally look down, and at the floor was the owl - who looked right at me and again said "who" like a person. I don't know if that is natural or learned behavior. He'd been illegally imported as a pet and was found and confiscated by the USDA.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that you slipped an extra "vowl" into the title. smile
Years ago, I was sitting in a tree stand when a great big owl came silently twisting his way through the trees. I sat, fascinated, watching him approach until it became apparent that he was going to land on me. I moved a little and he banked away with the slightest movement of his wings.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FG,

they might be closer than you think. Barred owls are expanding their range across the northern tier of the US. Big problem with them displacing their Spotted Owl cousins (same genus, different species) in the PNW.

Check here, if it doesn't come through as zoomed in like I did it, you can always zoom right into your location to see if there's any near you. I see some around Moscow, and down around Kendrick, Clarkston/Lewiston and such.

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/brdowl?b...2602#_ga=1.29302202.789844832.1451362567

Keep your ears open, you may hear one someday while out on your line. (listen to the call and try to imitate it, they respond, sometimes easily)

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When I was an enterprising young lad I used to go out at night and pick worms to sell to the fishermen. We always had owls around the yard. Our area of Ohio had a lot of beech trees, which always had lots of hollow spots making great nesting cavities. We had a vapor light in the yard that came on at dusk every night, and the little screech owls worked the perimeter of the light's shadow picking off bugs. We used to sit out there in the lawn chairs and watch them coming out for the night shift.

It didn't take them long to figure out that my flashlight attracted bugs, and before long, I got buzzed for the firs time. It's a little unnerving for the first time when one of those little brown missiles comes between you and the ground picking bugs out of your light as your bent over picking worms. I must have jumped about a foot! Needless to say I set a new world's speed record running for the back door of the house. As time went on, I got used to seeing them out there. They'd land right above me in the trees and pick their spots to launch their attacks. They never struck me but sure came close a couple times.

We have screechers in the pine trees in our back yard every year now, and a pair of big owls nesting in the woods at the end of our street every late winter. I hear them calling to each other down there all the time when I'm leaving early for work. Saw a big bird soaring into the tall trees down there one morning. I think they're barn owls, but the could be some other owl, I guess.

If you're ever interested in what they might be, Cornell Univ has a cool site with sounds too (for all kinds of birds, not just owls). Poke around the owls section and listen to different ones, I bet you hear "yours".

The number of sounds a particular type of owl can make is amazing (to me anyway)

Here's a common one heard around the US.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/sounds

Geno

I'll check that site out tomorrow....thanks Geno....

We have lots of Eagles and Hawks around here too.....I even bought a book to identify the Hawks but it's pretty hard to figure out when they're in flight....fun to watch with bino's though.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran screaming through the woods one day. Freaked my ole lady and a couple buddies COMPLETELY out.

The corner of my eye I saw a great horn launch, his eyes focused on our little rat terrier dog.

Hundred yard dash.
45 degree vector.

He beat me by 15 yards but I was yelling loud enough all the way that he looked over at me and pulled out at the last split second.

The little dog just sat quivering. Thought I was screaming at her and never even knew the owl was there.

The wife and my two hunting buddies didn't know either until it swooped.

Still sends chills up my spine.

Big damn owl!
Did you know GHO can live over 80 years?

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've got Burrowing Owls down here. They build their nests in the ground and they're protected here.

Not too big, but ballsy. They've done strafing missions on my dog occasionally when I take him out late. He goes into fast pedal mode. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I lived in the San Diego area (pre - 1991) we had quite a few out at the edges of the "burbs'. As development spread further they are slowly disappearing.

They are cool birds, glad you still get to see some.

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool pictures Charlie. Owls are interesting birds for sure. I hope your owl sticks around.

Concerning owls, I saw something a month or so back when I was coyote hunting that was interesting to me. About a quarter mile away I could see a 12 to 15 birds just kind of circling around about 150 feet off the ground. At first I figured they must be ravens, but as I walked closer I got a good look and they were all owls. From looking in a bird book, they resembled a Barn Owl the most, but they were lighter in color, more light grayish to white. They were about the size of a redtail hawk or raven.

First and only time I've ever seen a flock of owls.

Last edited by Lonny; 01/26/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Opening day of deer season...... I was sitting on a log just after dawn watching the squirrels run around. Out of G'damn nowhere the biggest owl I have ever seen just jacks a squirrel about 10 yards from me. Hell with an eagle on TV catching a fish that owl OWNED that squirrel. One of the coolest things i have ever bared witness too. I'll never forget the sound of his wings and the squirrels death cry. Nature is a bitch when your low on the food chain...

Last edited by k20350; 01/26/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Certainly a saw-whet owl, the nighttime call of these things is one of my favorite bird sounds... cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by k20350
Opening day of deer season...... I was sitting on a log just after dawn watching the squirrels run around. Out of G'damn nowhere the biggest owl I have ever seen just jacks a squirrel about 10 yards from me. Hell with an eagle on TV catching a fish that owl OWNED that squirrel. One of the coolest things i have ever bared witness too. I'll never forget the sound of his wings and the squirrels death cry. Nature is a bitch when your low on the food chain...

For all the hoopla hawks and such get in the woods, nothing shuts up songbirds and rodents quicker than an owl on a low roost.

Silence.

Is golden.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Nice thread, nice owls stories too.

To the OP, it's hard to tell cause it's not a super clear pic, but that really looks like a saw-whet owl. The broad stripes down the breast are distinctive. Screech owls all have a lot of horizontal barring going on the their breast.

Saw whets are a lot less common, I'd be pumped to see one. They are known to be naturally very tame,

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great Horned Owls will eat skunks, they don't have much of an olfactory sense and the stink doesn't bother them. They snatch house cats and fluffy little dogs around town also. I once saw a Great Horned snatch a duck off a small lake. Started checking on that and found they are serious waterfowl predators. I think I once found where an owl killed a turkey off the roost. I found the kill in the big timber with a good snow on the ground. There were no turkey tracks and no predator tracks in the snow, but what looked like wing marks sweeping the snow and a mangled up hen turkey carcass.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Creek bottom here is full of barred owls. They can be noisy cusses! laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The old folks didn't like owls.

That's the truth. Remember every household having a tall pole with a trap on top. Have seen owls and hawks dangling...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cool pics, I like owls.

Around here we have mostly great horned owls, we can hear them most nights, and an occasional great grey. Barn owls move in but every few years it's too cold and they freeze to death. The great horned owls will take down crows, raptors, cats, dogs and pretty much whatever they can get a hold of. An ornithologist at work has documented great horned owls taking down eagles. They're just badass.

I use an owl locator in spring turkey season.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Just caught this thread.. Cool pictures!!!

Molon Labe
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,926
Posts18,498,564
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.