Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
KenMi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Haven't seen to many reviews online yet, so I'll start a thread here. These are being shipped and delivered in pretty good quantities now, so I figured this might be a good place to comment as you get your scopes.

I just received mine this morning by UPS. #170702 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS Windplex. I'll go through a few first impressions. I won't actually be able to shoot with it until probably April, when my McMillan stock comes in for this rifle build (actually rebuild).

Overall look- Excellent. Probably very similar to the same model in the previous VX-3. I saw somewhere else that the numbers on the power ring are painted, but I can't verify that. They do look slightly different than the numbers on the CDS dial, but I guess time will tell if they wear at all or not. Not really a big deal.

Dials, knobs, etc.- The CDS dial is obviously the same as any other CDS scope. The clicks are positive and firm enough that it shouldn't turn if bumped or on a sling. Same with the windage adjustment. Very positive, audible clicks. The side focus knob is again- easy to turn but firm enough to prevent turning when it shouldn't. The main power dial is a nice design. Nice wide, knurled dial with an oversized thumb/finger knob. As designed, should be simple with gloves/mittens if needed. 4.5 to 14 power is roughly from 10:00 to 2:00 positions. Turns very smoothly.

In the box- Yes, the VX-3i CDS scopes do come with the coupon for a free CDS dial, as before. I was not able to confirm this anywhere else online before receiving it. Not just a coupon, there is also a small paper disc that is attached to the CDS dial with an elastic band. As before, both give the number to call for a free dial, which I will be doing today.

Also included- full neoprene scope boot instead of scope lens covers or a rubber stretchy lens cap. I haven't really used full scope boots when in the field, but it is an option, and certainly would help protect the entire scope. Both bells are threaded as before, for Aluminas, or there is the option of flip open rubber caps.

Optics- From what I could tell just by first looking through it handheld, everything is crisp, bright, and impressive. I'll take it out in an evening sometime soon and test lower light conditions.

Windplex- I was a little shy of ordering this reticle, because I hadn't tried it before, and the pictures on the Leupold site really exaggerate the thickness of the posts and crosshairs, and how busy the center of the scope looks. In real life, it's not at all like the picture. The main posts might be very slightly heavier than the standard duplex, but not much. The center crosshair appears the same thickness, to me. To me it almost looks like the "wideplex" where the main posts are set further apart than on the Duplex. The reticle is not at all going to block or interfere with target acquisition. And, the windage hash marks are not at all distracting. My eye goes right to the center of the crosshairs, and I don't even pay attention to the windage marks. But, if they are needed, they are easy to locate and line up on target. Hopefully that makes sense.

Overall- On the rifle this is going on, I'm using it in place of a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 which I previously used. Comparing this to the Zeiss, with the features, etc. on it, I'd honestly put it neck and neck. From what I have experimented with so far, image quality is essentially equal, and it has many features the Zeiss didn't. So, for my needs for this gun, I'd even rate it higher than the HD5. That is a lot to say for a scope with a MSRP at $387 less than the Zeiss.

I didn't have any of the more recent VX-3 scopes from the past few years, so I can't really compare it side by side. I do have 2 of the VX-2 3-9 CDS scopes, but that is obviously in a different ballpark.

I'd say Leupold really nailed it with this new model. They cut costs by cutting the lineup offered a little bit, but these can also be ordered through the custom shop with special paint colors, reticles, etc. Until actual published reviews, and customer feedback is built up, there may be some hesitation regarding a new model scope for a lower cost than before. It sure isn't normal. I think they were smart to totally drop the VX-3 line instead of just saying it has changes for 2016 and that some models are no longer offered in that line.

Bottom line is I'd without hesitation recommend this new lineup, if it is in a price range and model you are looking for.

Probably will take a while longer before local small shops actually get these in, but they are widely available online. Or call Doug at Cameraland, and I'm sure he would treat you well.

Last edited by KenMi; 01/27/16.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I looked at them at SHOT and the optics are impressive. I ordered a 2.5-8 VX-3i this week through the custom shop so I could get the heavy duplex reticle. It is nice that the custom shop discounts them so the prices are in line with mail or on-line purchasing costs.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First off, Thanks for the review.

I have a few VX-3 3.5-10x 40's, normal duxplex w/ CDS dials on them, and haven't found the optics, reticle, or dials lacking at all. The ONLY thing that I would say really needed improvement was/is tracking. Mine track ok, but not as perfectly as I'd expect or want.

Now, I'm not opposed at all to better glass/coatings, or the better power selector dial. But my main concern is if they were actually able to beef up the internals as they say, and make them more rugged with better tracking when spinning dials.

I don't hunt too much area where spinning dials is necessary, but given that I know my ranges and dial-ins, I do like to dial whenever given the chance. It's just so much nicer to be able to put the + right where you want the bullet to go, and pull the trigger.

Please keep us updated with the tracking when you get a chance to review it.

Last edited by WGM; 01/27/16.

-WGM-
K
KenMi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just found a decent deal on Leupold Alumina flip covers for the 40mm Objective and standard eye.

$79.99 at Optics planet
OPWC735JKQWF Code takes $5 off
Free shipping

$74.99 delivered.

They usually sell for about $80 used/owned in the classifieds.

Butler Creeks are ok, but the looks and longevity are lousy. Had probably 5 or 6 break in use, usually at the hinge area in cold weather.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken, thanks for the review. Sounds like a nice scope. Soon, more people will have them and more reviews will be up.

Thanks again.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,

Thanks for the tip on the Alumina covers and the discount code. I just ordered a pair. I had been holding off because of the high cost, and your tip made it happen. Have a good day.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mind if I shorten that review for ya?

"I took it out of the box and looked at it, looked through the glass, felt the knobs, put it back in the box. Maybe in a couple months I'll take it outside. Stay tuned"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plumdog

"I took it out of the box and looked at it, looked through the glass, felt the knobs, put it back in the box. Maybe in a couple months I'll take it outside. Stay tuned"

His very first post! LOL!! Just here to straighten the place out I guess

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
K
KenMi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K

And, what review have you done on this NEW line of scopes?

........................crickets..............

Probably just someone hiding behind a second user account that doesn't have the cojones to post it as their real screenname.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A grand total of one post and he/she is here pissin' in someone's Post-Toasties. Class act for sure. Where's the Ignore button?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey Plumdog....welcome to the fire and GFY

Lefty C

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM

I have a few VX-3 3.5-10x 40's, normal duxplex w/ CDS dials on them, and haven't found the optics, reticle, or dials lacking at all. The ONLY thing that I would say really needed improvement was/is tracking. Mine track ok, but not as perfectly as I'd expect or want.

How did you determine that your scope doesn't "track"?

What, specifically, is wrong?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by KenMi

Probably just someone hiding behind a second user account that doesn't have the cojones to post it as their real screenname.
He does have a good point though

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by WGM

Zero gets off by 1/4 to 1/2 MOA at times when I run the knobs. Takes a shot or two to settle it back down. Running out to distances of about 600 yards doesn't always put me right where I should be. It's usually pretty close, but not "perfect", as stated above.

I just want to know that I can sit there at home during the off-season and spin turrets around and around if I want to, but then go out and fire a 300 yard shot at paper/animal/whatever 6 months later and have the bullet impact where it should.

-WGM-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by KenMi

Optics Forum is a never ending source of comedy and entertainment. That's the main reason I hang out here

-WGM-
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Right now the most prevalent beef being voiced regarding Leupold is erector and tracking issues. Glass,weight,eye relief and eye box are all good.Hence the real proof in the pudding and reviews all are waiting for will be how the "new improved cheaper cost" Leupy's track and return to zero

K
KenMi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K

Yep, sure does. Just like the almost 1 million people that went to the auto show to look at tires and chrome sitting in a building. Who cares what the car smells and looks like, when the engine could die in 20,000 miles, it rides like a lumber wagon, or has a manufacturing defect which can kill you?

I simply put this thread up for a place for reviews for the new models. If someone wants to put in field reports here, they are more than welcome to do so. As of yet, there are zero. And, I'll update once I get it on the gun and shoot with it. But, it most likely will be: "Moved dials to adjust point of impact appropriately. Scope held zero, and the POI changed consistently with each adjustment. Features and functions of this scope were previously mentioned."

I guess some forget that thread titles here usually indicate the subject of the thread. If a title is not something of interest to them, they do not have to open and read that thread, try to change the subject, or give editorials of the original post. Pretty simple.

Last edited by KenMi; 01/28/16.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
KenMi no offense meant to you,I'm sure once you log some trigger time you'll report back with the rest of the story

K
KenMi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Absolutely, but by that time, I'm sure many others will have as well. My above comment was directed towards the troll who wishes to remain anonymous, though did a terrible job of covering his tracks while attempting to do so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by WGM

Zero gets off by 1/4 to 1/2 MOA at times when I run the knobs. Takes a shot or two to settle it back down. Running out to distances of about 600 yards doesn't always put me right where I should be. It's usually pretty close, but not "perfect", as stated above.

I just want to know that I can sit there at home during the off-season and spin turrets around and around if I want to, but then go out and fire a 300 yard shot at paper/animal/whatever 6 months later and have the bullet impact where it should.

There's a lot more to it that that. How have you determined "right where I should be"? There are plenty of factors other than "tracking" that effect bullet flight and drop data

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,364
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.