Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I fitted up a Miller classic on an M70 a few weeks ago. Very nice stock, I liked it a lot. The wrist seemed, I didn't measure, to be a little thinner than the normal Bansner. The flat bottom with the sculpted lines looked really sharp with the one piece bottom metal on the new M70 I put it on. They don't inlet for that bottom metal BTW, the one piece they inlet for is the old safari express steel unit but it's pretty close and no big trick to open it up a little more for the new unit.

I'll be using more of them in the future.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Rick and Kid, I've got short fingers so prefer a skinny wrist on a stock.

Bob.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had LAW throttle the CNC and inlet mine only for an ADL. Trigger guard, no floorplate. No extra charge for that, they were great to deal with and you can't beat a 2-week turn-around!

Will round the edges so it fits my hand.

I also like slim grips, I am sure you would like it.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rick - I can't "see" your picture, so not sure exactly which action you are using, but do you know if LAW offers this stock for the pre-64 Model 70? Just looked at their site and it seems to only specify the post-64s.

I seem to recall you are a pre-64 fan so thought you might know, or have asked.

Thanks!

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, I use photobucket. It is down for the minute.

I am using a pre-64, and you are absolutely right. LAW offers that model only for long action post-64 model 70s. However, the pre-64 and the post long action are very close in length. So close in fact that if you have the actions side-by-side and line up the rear guard screws? There is overlap of the front guard screws and recoil lugs.

It is very easy for a good stock guy to convert the stock to a pre-64 inlet. Just index off the rear guard screw hole. Open up the area behind the recoil lug inlet, it is filled when you glass anyway.

I specifically asked LAW not to drill the front guard screw hole. That will be done after the hole location is indexed for the pre-64 action.

The bolt handle notch and ejection port need to be done anyway so same same there.

When Photobucket comes back up I will post a pic or two.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RickF
It's worth mentioning that High Tech now offers their Miller Classic design, a definite step up in shape from the standard stock. Worth checking out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a really good looking stock.

The problem with McMillan is that all their patterns for the M70 are crap. The Echols legend and Bridges designs are good but they're a pain to get since you have to go outside mcmillan to get them. I've got M70's with the supergrade pattern (outdated) and the hunter's edge. I like the hunter's edge except for the comb, I have to add comb risers to make them usable. Why Mcmillan won't make a stock with a usable comb height is beyond me.

Actually, it's not hard to figure out. They're selling all the stocks they can make so they're got no incentive to update their patterns, which are stuck in the 1960's before people used scopes. So long as they're selling all they can make they're not going to fix their product. It's frustrating because there really aren't any alternatives for the M70 to get a decent stock. This LAW stock looks like it might be it. I don't have any M70 builds planned, but if I did I'd try one of these.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Did he eliminate checkering from all of the molds?
I really liked the way they were made before.

I don't know how many molds he's finished - will be talking to him this week.
He's using a pretty heavy texture for the finish so it eliminates the need for checkering.

I was a bit hesitant at first but I've grown quite fond of the texture.

[Linked Image]

That stock would tear up your cheek. Mcmillan's painted texture is a little rough on the cheek. I have knocked it down with sandpaper in the past.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
McMillan really needs to bring back the G&H stock. They told me that the mold for this stock has been destroyed, but maybe if enough people kept asking for it...

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by SKane

Did he eliminate checkering from all of the molds?
I really liked the way they were made before.

I don't know how many molds he's finished - will be talking to him this week.
He's using a pretty heavy texture for the finish so it eliminates the need for checkering.

I was a bit hesitant at first but I've grown quite fond of the texture.

[Linked Image]

That stock would tear up your cheek. Mcmillan's painted texture is a little rough on the cheek. I have knocked it down with sandpaper in the past.

Well, I'm 200 rounds in and I've not felt or noticed.
But it's also not a 300 ultra either.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
my stock that Nathan installed has the same texture and It doesnt bother me at all...its a 308 winchester

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The stocks from Pacific Research had unbelievable checkering and the Polane T had the perfect texture, the guy that sprayed there stocks was very good!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
^^^ Fact ^^^

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
The stocks from Pacific Research had unbelievable checkering ...

That's a fact ^^^^. I own one for Left hand Rem 700. I would like to paint it or dip it. However, am afraid of filling in the checkering. Hands down, the best checkering I have felt on a synthetic stock.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Agreed--it was the best synthetic checkering. That is why I wouldn't want all the new molds to go with texture only.

I don't find texture as "grippy" when really wet; and it does not keep your hands warm whatsoever compared to checkering.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Rick, what is the width of the stock through the action?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't find texture as "grippy" when really wet; and it does not keep your hands warm whatsoever compared to checkering.

OK, I'll bite - how does checkering keep your hands warm(er)?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
The stocks from Pacific Research had unbelievable checkering ...

That's a fact ^^^^. I own one for Left hand Rem 700. I would like to paint it or dip it. However, am afraid of filling in the checkering. Hands down, the best checkering I have felt on a synthetic stock.

Not to worry. Several years ago I had a couple of my Rimrock/Pacific Research stocks professionally painted by B&C. IMHO, properly applied paint has a minimal effect on the checkering. I haven't notice any discernible difference between the painted and 'naked' Rimrocks.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have had the original Rimrock stock/ Jim Borden built Rimrock stocks and a stock painted with Nathans textured paint and the checkering doesnt come close to the grip you get from the painted stock...

I to like the look of the checkering but found it to be so fine it never helped me to grip the stock at all

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite stock for a Winchester model 70 grin
[Linked Image]

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by learning
Rick, what is the width of the stock through the action?

The parts are with my smith at the moment, I can't check that for a few weeks.

If you want, send a PM to BRNO284 on here, he is my stock guy and has the stock in hand. If you ask nicely I suspect he will measure for you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,684
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.