Campfire Tracker
R
Sh-t happens if you use it.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya, guess what it boils down to, is who gives a fu ck what folks use?? This place is funny for sure... Guy I just hunted a couple days ago for sheep down here in kona had a browning a bort 7 mag, huskemaw scope, which he loved, I hated it, talley lw, ww silver box ammo. The whole setup looked like had been drug behind a truck down a loggin rd, has never cleaned the snout, killed 2 rams in 2 1/2 hours with it. Dudes makes a living with said rig and sports 100% success rate, asked how he liked the talleys, said he liked em.... Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
These work. My heavy handed farmer tight thought process stripped a screw one time, but that ended when I bought a fat wrench. I also like the DNZ mounts a great deal. I met the folks from Talley at the shot show many years ago. Awesome folks that make a quality USA made product. I think I have 6 or 7 sets. After meeting the folks from Talley I feel pretty darn confident that you could do a lot worse when it comes to rings etc.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We've got them on 9 pre 64 M70's and never a problem.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Only issue I have had with Talley other then a pair of poorly machined steel detachables has been with the quality of their screws. They are soft, poor quality that they must buy from China at the lowest price. They need to remedy that .

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got a set that had one of the bottom halves without any tapped holes. I got a set that had screws with NO threads on them. Both times they quickly remedied the problem. I currently own one set, they reside on a 700 Mtn rifle that gets a lot of hard use. I had rolled an ATV over on it, dropped it falllen on it and somehow the 2.5-8 VXIII and the Talley lightweights have not moved more than 1" at 100 yards through all this.
All I'm saying is that with a sample of one, I have not managed to break them. Would I buy more? Maybe if I was working on a lightweight rifle.
I think steel weaver bases and a Leuplod PRW ring is pretty dang indestructible for the money myself. I am personally not a fan of DD rings.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300stw
my main rifle has had 5 different barrels of different magnum calibers over the last 8-10 years, gun has been carried in a saddle scabbard , on the handlebars of a yamaha bigwheel, in an eberlestock pack and pretty much thrown all over the truck, older leupold 4.5x14, the talley LW rings are worn silver in places,,,

not one problem besides the screws rust and look ugly, i have put them on 10-15 rifles not one problem,
my main rifle is carried on the leupold handle always,
i had 1 base on 2 differnt sets of dual dovetails crack at the dovetail joint, quit using them, the windage adjustable bases have lost screws or broke screws many times , thats why i started on dual dovetails, then went to talley LW,
just one guys experience

Pretty much my experience, complete with the bad DD experience. I'll use Talley LWs until I do have a problem. Hopefully it won't be on a hunt, far from a spare rig.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had 2 pair crack. They were on rifles that spent a lot of time on ATV's and tractors (as well as hunted and shot a lot). Have other LW's still mounted that haven't cracked but I've moved to DNZ's and haven't had a problem with them yet.

Originally Posted by ctsmith
As usual, Big Boxer nailed it. In lieu of DDs, I have gone with Burris low profile two piece steel picatinny base with seekins aluminum picatinny rings.

I like this option as well. I have a couple rifles set up with seekins rings and really like them...but those two haven't been run through the ringer as much as those with DNZ's.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jay, run them through the ringer, I'm thinking they'll fair well.

Here's the 30mm and 1" version, both with 42mm scopes and small diameter barrels. The 1" version is a little more trim, which is a good thing. The height is just about right. It could stand to be ever so slightly lower, but good enough for sure.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ctsmith; 02/01/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had well north of 20 pairs of Talley Lwt's. Never an issue.

But I don't over-tighten anything (torque wrench), and I've lapped every one of them.

I guess I should say HINT...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Brad

But I don't over-tighten anything (torque wrench), and I've lapped every one of them.

Yeah, but you never had the same rifle longer than a month or two. grin

I've never lapped them and only tighten them with 2 fingers and my thumb on the little wrench. I've not counted but I've had a lot of them, only 2 broke and they were used hard. Maybe it was my fault for not lapping or tightening to much....but no DNZ's have cracked yet and they get the same treatment.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Brad

That would be something El Chapo del Norte would say grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.