Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
JG, for how many times you've mentioned David Tubb and Todd Hodnett.... You ever shot your rifles with them?

Tanner

Only at p'dogs w/Hodnett's bunch Never shot with Tubb with my rifles. Been a spectator much more than once just observing and trying to learn. Why do you ask?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious. Would be interesting to shoot with them with some hunting rifles.

Tanner

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd love to, but Hodnett's training is too specialized....I'd just be in the way, and clueless. It's not an "open to the public" scenario. It is amazing what a 168/175 match king from a .308 @ 2600fps can do. The prarie dog shooting is an additional fun thing for the snipers, so I'm not so much in the way there, plus it's right next door to our whitetail hunting ground.

I'll say this though. Not sure if my repeated mention of those guys rubs you the wrong way, but that's not my intention. I'm no LR hunter. I'm a piddler with CDS dials, most of which is whacking away at rocks, with a couple dozen hogs and lots of 'yotes mixed in. I find it lots of fun, and as wrong as this may seem, I don't give a crap if I wound or gut shoot vermin anyway. I mention them only because they are inarguably bonafide experts. They find some difficulty shooting in certain wind conditions, therefore everyone else does too. I find that enlightening, instead of it coming from a relatively inexperienced LR shooter like me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
John_Gregori,

It's a difficult question and hence why we are all debating this here.

We all are not debating this. It seems only a couple here argue with a very large group of proponents.

The thing is, you don't have to be a proponent to understand the problems with moralizing or legislating on long- range hunting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
1.5 MOA 100% of the time (100 out of 100) at 700 yards in a moderate wind?

I'll take that bet. How much?

I love your tag line. It goes so well with your post.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you'd like, I can change it.

Maybe "don't be afraid to call a spade a spade?"

And by the way, I am humbled frequently. But not by guys bragging about their shooting prowess on the internet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Tanner
Just curious. Would be interesting to shoot with them with some hunting rifles.

Tanner

You want to shoot with his daughter!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
PS, making a shot from a bench at a known distance with spotting rounds is not the same as making a shot at an unknown distance on the first shot in the field.

Exactly, you've proved my point. I when on to write in my post that I do NOT shoot at animals at 700 yards as I do not find it ethical nor sporting at that range. I've had the most fun hunting by trying to close the distance from 700 yards down to 150 yards or closer. It's why they call it "fair chase hunting" and not "shooting at live animal targets".

Enough said. Let's focus on the real issue at hand:

Only you, maybe God and I can answer at what range is acceptable. This said, Theodore Roosevelt's aspiration for all hunters was to hunt ethically, in a fair and sporting manner where the animal has the benefit of the chase, as in "fair chase hunting".

This said, the implication is self-evident: The more mainstream 'long range shooting' becomes, the more people rationalize distance "shooting" as "hunting" (which it is not) and as an acceptable action of "the hunt" and most either do not have the capability (and therefore wound game or endanger others) or lose the values and skills of a great outdoors-person and of the 'chase' as in fair chase hunting. John Burns has chosen to carve out a public niche for himself and mainly shoot at extreme ranges where neither hunting prowess nor woodsman skill are required and where there is no 'fair chase' in the hunting...hunting looses it's action verb "to hunt" and the only thing he needs most of the time is the ability to squeeze the trigger of his finely tuned sophisticated bullet propellant to a target. While many of us have this ability to shoot long range, I cannot say it is hunting for the reasons mentioned above.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John_Gregori,

This said, the implication is self-evident: The more mainstream 'long range shooting' becomes, the more people rationalize distance "shooting" as "hunting" (which it is not) and as an acceptable action of "the hunt" and most either do not have the capability (and therefore wound game or endanger others) or lose the values and skills of a great outdoors-person and of the 'chase' as in fair chase hunting. John Burns has chosen to carve out a public niche for himself and mainly shoot at extreme ranges where neither hunting prowess nor woodsman skill are required and where there is no 'fair chase' in the hunt

I guess we can add your incite to the dictionary under "long range hunting is not."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Holy crap some people need to hunt more....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
PS, making a shot from a bench at a known distance with spotting rounds is not the same as making a shot at an unknown distance on the first shot in the field.

Exactly, you've proved my point. I when on to write in my post that I do NOT shoot at animals at 700 yards as I do not find it ethical nor sporting at that range. I've had the most fun hunting by trying to close the distance from 700 yards down to 150 yards or closer. It's why they call it "fair chase hunting" and not "shooting at live animal targets".

Enough said. Let's focus on the real issue at hand:

Only you, maybe God and I can answer at what range is acceptable. This said, Theodore Roosevelt's aspiration for all hunters was to hunt ethically, in a fair and sporting manner where the animal has the benefit of the chase, as in "fair chase hunting".

This said, the implication is self-evident: The more mainstream 'long range shooting' becomes, the more people rationalize distance "shooting" as "hunting" (which it is not) and as an acceptable action of "the hunt" and most either do not have the capability (and therefore wound game or endanger others) or lose the values and skills of a great outdoors-person and of the 'chase' as in fair chase hunting. John Burns has chosen to carve out a public niche for himself and mainly shoot at extreme ranges where neither hunting prowess nor woodsman skill are required and where there is no 'fair chase' in the hunting...hunting looses it's action verb "to hunt" and the only thing he needs most of the time is the ability to squeeze the trigger of his finely tuned sophisticated bullet propellant to a target. While many of us have this ability to shoot long range, I cannot say it is hunting for the reasons mentioned above.

So, will you take the bet or not?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW

[Linked Image]

What Greg said.......

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by GregW

[Linked Image]

What Greg said.......

Very true. But something tells me Logan and Max don't have that problem....

smile

Great picture!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Apologies to Greg and Pat, but I have a couple more questions for Mr. Gregory. And yes it's true, I do need to go hunting more.

Exactly, you've proved my point.

No I haven't. All I proved was that long-range shooting prowess is not the same as long range hunting prowess. Which in turn proves that what you posted about your long range shooting prowess is irrelevant.

Only you, maybe God and I can answer at what range is acceptable.

If you believe this, then isn't everything else you posted totally beside the point and irrelevant?

.....the more people rationalize distance "shooting" as "hunting" (which it is not)......

If foisting off your own personal value judgments on the rest of us wasn't the height of arrogance, you guys who want to say what is and isn't hunting would crack me up.

You do realize that there are 50 state agencies whose job it is to define what is and isn't hunting, right? They do it all the time by banning or restricting certain practices and restricting technology.

So if killing an animal at long range isn't hunting, why haven't any of the 50 state agencies agreed with you?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have a simple answer for gregori.... I'll just call it shooting then. And still go kill things...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Seems fair to me, Jeff. I'll just call it long-range shooting at game animals and varmints and call it a day. I gave up trying to follow the "arguments" days ago...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Seems like some folks like to argue.

People get that confused with stupid, or the other way around ?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
I'll just call it shooting then.

That's between you and God. But you better check with Teddy Roosevelt first.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (44mc, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 308ld, 10 invisible), 1,241 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.