Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It’s not uncommon to hear people claim that Washington is broken, and that sentiment applies to more than just the federal government. The city council in the nation’s capital is one of the most regrettable snakepits of liberalism in America. These hooligans have already attracted the ire of conservatives with their repeated attempts to disregard the Second Amendment, but what they’re planning to do now might be even more ridiculous.

The council voted (unanimously!) on a bill this week that would pay a stipend to certain residents to keep them from breaking the law. The legislation is the brainchild of Councilman Kenyan McDuffie, who argued that the stipend would be part of a broader strategy to reduce violent crime rates in the city. As part of his proposal, the city would select up to 200 residents considered “at risk” for committing crime. These residents would then be given the chance to complete some form of behavioral therapy program. If successful, they get paid.

Eh, it’s not the worst idea in the world, you say. Throw ‘em a hundred bucks, maybe it’ll keep them off the streets for a couple of weeks.

Except, they don’t want to give these people walking-around money. The bill doesn’t specify a dollar amount, but participants in Richmond, California’s similar program receive up to – take a deep breath – $9,000 a year.

$9,000 a year. For not committing crime. Good work if you can get it, huh?

The program must still be approved by the Democratic mayor, and the funding for the $4.9 million initiative will have to be raised in some fashion by the Council. In all likelihood, it will mean raising taxes. In further likelihood, the Council will probably try to find some way to make D.C. gun owners pay for this program. Until, of course, they are smacked down yet again by a federal court.

Once again, Democrats think they can simply spend their way out of a jam. It didn’t work the last 5,000 times it was tried, but hey, maybe this will be the exception that proves the rule.

There’s been some talk lately about giving Washington D.C. residents better representation in the U.S. Congress. If this is the way those folks vote, though, maybe that’s an idea we should leave on the backburner for a while.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just another give away and wealth redistribution to the blacks without any enforcement.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
D.C.'s citizens have money to burn....apparently.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Isnt that "profiling"? Guess they dont mind when $9k is at stake.

What is wrong with people.....

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, let's take it a little further.

They can pay me NOT to come to DC and carry concealed, which may end up getting me arrested, and subsequently forming a legal challenge to their gun laws, costing them millions.

I'll settle for $100,000.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder how many Hollywood actors will line up to complain not enough white people were selected to get this "award"?

And another question: Howinhell will the city know Leroy didn't commit a crime while getting his stipend?

Washington DC - The city where crime DOES pay.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A criminal commits crimes. If committing a crime while accepting a payoff is another crime, well, that's what they do. I doubt a single criminal will stop doing what he's doing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good God. Just when you think you've heard all of the liberals' stupid ideas, they come up with another one.

What's next I wonder?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

No sillier than bribing the Iranians to be nice...and will have the same result, namely the US taxpayer is going to be shafted, bent over, and spit-roasted by every turd with an axe to grind.

But your Government and the twits that put them there will be happy.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And anyway, it is odds on that most of those that will be on the receiving end will already be on the rock-and-roll already...you are already paying them to sit about planning dastardly things.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9 grand a year for not committing crime? O.K... As a law abiding tax paying citizen who doesn't commit crimes I say "sign me up". I, too, want my share of this reward for good behavior. Hey; I kept my nose clean and I earned it so in the name of fairness and diversity I want my 9K annually. But seriously; this whole thing is a joke; ain't it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks are forgetting that this is $9k/year, on TOP of welfare, Medicaid, subsidized (or free) housing and utilities, and SSDI.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One has to wonder what tips the scale balance to the side of not being worth the money they spend on them...

I think we passed that long ago.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You will need to have a record of crime and be considered high risk. What happens when they behave for x years and the money stops? Go out and "re-qualify". Brilliant plan. crazy

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You will need to have a record of crime and be considered high risk. What happens when they behave for x years and the money stops? Go out and "re-qualify". Brilliant plan. crazy

.223 ammo is at an affordable price now.

Much cheaper.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RWE
Hell, let's take it a little further.

They can pay me NOT to come to DC and carry concealed, which may end up getting me arrested, and subsequently forming a legal challenge to their gun laws, costing them millions.

I'll settle for $100,000.

You're really not being left out of all this.

You'll be taxed to NOT commit a crime......and be fined if you do.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Oh, once on the program they'll never leave because they'll be "success stories", and the program will be expanded every year to pay more and more pieces of schit to NOT commit crimes.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bread and Circuses will be next..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey wait, they can't do that! That is NOT a "living wage"! We need to pay at least a $15 per/hr reward for staying "crime free". That is just over $30K per year.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would this stipend be taxable?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.