Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Which do you prefer for weather resistance? Stainless steel or Cerakote? Wanting to set up a foul weather rig. Not sure which way I want to go.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The best is both. Stainless will rust, Cerakote will chip.

I guess you could bore coat, but I would want stainless for the bore in any case.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
magshooter1,

My last two were stainless. Once I had the barreled action in hand they received a salt bath nitride treatment. It does not chip.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bore matters most. Give me stainless or chrome-lined anytime there's a choice over CM steel.

I'm down to seven scoped big game rifles these days. Only one wears a CM barrel. I hunt with it on pretty days....

Now with even more aplomb
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Cerakote is overrated paint and in my experience doesn't hold up to field use. For me, it is not worth the cost when it can easily chip or scratch off. My vote would be stainless with possibly another coating. I will try salt bath nitrating on my next rifle.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ringman
magshooter1,

My last two were stainless. Once I had the barreled action in hand they received a salt bath nitride treatment. It does not chip.

I'm unfamiliar with this treatment. Where/Who does this? How does it work?

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I only have 2 blued rifles left. One lever action and a 700 that was the first rifle I bought. The rest have been sold and replaced with SS models.

I had one more blued 700 that I had bought used and was weathered with not much blueing left on it. Sent it out and had it hard chromed.
One of the best finishes you can put on one IMO and it looks like stainless and lines your bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ejo
Cerakote is overrated paint and in my experience doesn't hold up to field use. For me, it is not worth the cost when it can easily chip or scratch off. My vote would be stainless with possibly another coating. I will try salt bath nitrating on my next rifle.

You are entitled to your opinions as I assume they are well founded.

However, I have not had that experience with my Cerakoted rifles and handguns.

I have ran them through the toughest weather, dirt, ice, quad, and truck conditions imaginable. Oregon wilderness is very unforgiving on equipment and I am all but sure footed.

Crawling through brush and sliding down rock slides the Ceracoat has held up well. I take care of my firearms after use but am not easy on them by any means.

So I suggest the cost is worth it. In my experience anything will rust or become damaged if you ride it hard enough. My gear is forgiving of my efforts and has shown the test of time.

So as you add up the price of a rifle (or handgun) with the scope, stock, barreled action, trigger, etc. Cerakote is just one of those things on my list of "have to - to be forgiving".

So there is my .02

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Stainless. Cerakote it if you want, but start with as much of the rifle stainless as you can get.

Chrome moly should go the way of the Dodo.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I prefer stainless but if the firearm is not available in stainless I think cerakote is a much better alternative than most other options.......Remington's Trinyte coated stainless is My favorite of all.......Good luck.....Hb

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ejo

Whoever did your cerakote didn't do a very good job. Mine holds up very well. It's been pretty damn abrasion resistant and scratch free, even though I drag my rifles through thick brush that generally scratches the hell out of my stocks. I paint some of my stocks every year because of this, but have never had to have my cerakote touched up. About time you made a switch to someone who applies cerakote professionally... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All finishes and paints are useless if the prep isn't done right. Talk to a knowledgeable auto body guy, boat builder or steel finisher and they'll all tell you the same preparation is 90% of the job applying the finish is the easy part. By all accounts cerakote is a fantastic product but still relies on perfect prep for success, and in its case it needs to be baked on.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
CrMo steel, nitrided. Far more resistant to wear and corrosion, and much better barrel life, than the grades of stainless used for rifles (which will indeed rust, as has been said above).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 61 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.