Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What do you feel is safer from corrosion resistance....a stainless rifle or a non-stainless one that has been black nitride treated? Thanks

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't have experience with nitride, I believe sig uses this coating? Think I would look into cerakote if it were me. Depends on what your requirements are? No maintenance for how long and in what conditions? Wax on the metal and stock will work for wet conditions.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The stainless typically used for rifle barrels and actions is not really very corrosion resistant, as stainless alloys go, and does not hold a candle to a finish like Tenifer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well that settles that question.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stainless steel would be the best choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The exterior metal looks great in that video. I wonder how the bore looks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ceracoated stainless trumps

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why not nitride stainless? It doesn't cost anything extra, looks the same, gives the best of all possible combos, and isn't paint.

Nitride laughs at the thought of Cerapaint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is another thought. How many rifle are subjected to any hours of concentrated salt vapor? What do you think the bore in the painted barrel looks like?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I recently purchased a blued 6.5x55 because it can not be found in stainless. After purchasing it, Im having second thoughts......So I have to look at coming up with a durable solution to it not being stainless and get it coated some how to protect it from corrosion. The other option is to sell the 6.5x55 and buy a 260 that I can get in stainless.
Keep in mind I would rather have the 6.5x55 caliber over the 260, but I hunt out of state a lot and don't normally pack in gun oil on my backpack hunts......lol
Im afraid of having a blued gun out on a six day backpack hunt where as with stainless I wouldn't worry about it near as much.
Kinda thinking about keeping the 6.5x55 and sending it to have it black nitride teated........thoughts

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well, I just got back 3 barrels, 3 actions, 4 bolts and an assortment of other parts from being nitrided, so I guess I will be trying this out in a big way! From everyone I have talked to this should be the toughest most rust and wear resistant process for guns. I guess I will know in a few years of hard use. One of the guns is 26 nosler, so I did that hoping for the extended barrel life as well. I guess time will tell.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
who did you use for the treating and how long was the turn around time? Thanks for the info

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by billiam280AI
I recently purchased a blued 6.5x55 because it can not be found in stainless. After purchasing it, Im having second thoughts......So I have to look at coming up with a durable solution to it not being stainless and get it coated some how to protect it from corrosion. The other option is to sell the 6.5x55 and buy a 260 that I can get in stainless.
Keep in mind I would rather have the 6.5x55 caliber over the 260, but I hunt out of state a lot and don't normally pack in gun oil on my backpack hunts......lol
Im afraid of having a blued gun out on a six day backpack hunt where as with stainless I wouldn't worry about it near as much.
Kinda thinking about keeping the 6.5x55 and sending it to have it black nitride teated........thoughts

If you have a blued rifle AND hunt in a very HUMID enviroment it will rust.
Sight in your gun by running a Patch Lightly coated with a LIGHT gun oil such as this
http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/?id=9&product=BoreConditioner
through the bore .
Note where the shot hits and a couple of shots after that.
Keeping a VERY light oil such as this(used sparingly) in the bore while hunting will help prevent rusting in the bore.
Also keep a Light coat of oil on the exterior of your blued rifle .
If you get caught out in the rain clean it up again.
Pain in the azz I know but if you want to prevent rust then you should do it.

Someone will inevitably come on and comment that they have never used oil in their barrel and have never had a problem with rust.
Steel will rust and if they are not having any issues with rust then either they hunt in a area of very low humidity and or haven,t looked closely enough !

Carry oil and patches in your pack !

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or just coat the bore with DBC and the exterior with DGS and forget oiling...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or put a SS 6.5x55 barrel on your rifle

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't do non-stainless rifles any more. I spent my early years in a non-air conditioned and propane space heated house in Mississippi. It was a full time job knocking rust off of my chrome moly guns. Stainless is so superior it's not even funny, as far as I'm concerned all chrome moly guns should be in museums and their sale outlawed. The nay sayers from Arizona and Montana will chime in soon to lecture us that they've never had a problem with rust and we just need to put a little oil on them every now and then. Needless to say I don't take them seriously because they haven't dealt with real humidity and seen what it does to chrome moly guns. Trust me, stainless steel, even 416R stainless, is a Godsend.

Most of mine are just bead blasted stainless. That's worlds better than any type of coated chrome moly in itself. If you really want to go crazy then cerakote or nitride stainless steel. Whatever you do just start with stainless.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A few prepackaged oil wipes weigh nothing in a pack and work as fantastic fire starters in an emergency. That would get any blued gun through some wet weather. I use both stainless and blued and don't have problems although most of my hunts are daylong coming home at night.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have been hunting in a very wet region for 35+ years, including in coastal areas, and have never had huge corrosion problems with CM rifles. As long as they were oiled down before and after use (usually with CLP), they were fine.

Stainless tends to be easier to maintain, but IMO it is not a huge difference. My bigger concern in wet weather is with wood stocks, especially not well sealed ones.

Also, not all stainless is created equal. My Kimber Montana seems to need more care than a stainless Rem 700. Go figure.....

These days I pretty much always hunt with synthetic stocked rifles when wet weather is expected, but CM or stainless is not as big a deal.

YMMV

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is pretty damp and humid here in GA. I have some 40+ year old blue guns that have not been pampered. They have some character marks, surface rust has been wiped off to the point that the blue is no longer present in places. But they still function just fine.

I prefer SS and my go-to rifles are SS. But I'd not worry a lot about it. If blue is effected by weather enough to cause a failure it takes a long time and I'd classify the problem as neglect. If SS just doesn't look right then any of the coatings might be preferable to some.

In my experience a synthetic stock is more important than SS on an all weather rifle. I've seen wood go from perfect to complete failure in minutes with nothing that can be done to prevent the problem.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,443
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.