Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
billd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am looking to buy a new pack for carrying while hunting elk.

Looking for something that can be used to carry equipment and also pack out meat.

What is your recommendations.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need two. One for gear and the first load out, and then an external frame freight hauler for the meat on the way out.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Kifaru, exo mountain, stone glacier, mystery ranch. All great packs, find one you can afford and fits you well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm partial to Eberlestock packs for elk hunting. The X2 is my daypack for everything and was less than $180, it can haul out a first front quarter before switching to a meat hauler. I have hunting partners with the Team elk, Blue Widow, and Dragonfly versions , all of them are comfortable and carry weapons easily so you can walk in or out hands free in the dark.

I'm going to change meat hauler packs this year and retire my old Cabelas Alaskan external frame and go with a wilderness Specialties Bighorn.

Several folks here love Kuiu packs but I cant make myself spend more on a pack then my elk rifle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Eberlestock J1 It will work for all of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Golden............
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
You need two. One for gear and the first load out, and then an external frame freight hauler for the meat on the way out.

Why can't you hunt with an external?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You can do it all with an external, but the pack will be heavier and more bulky--harder to slip through the timber, etc. Look at the ALPS Pursuit, etc. for carrying gear--mostly a day pack-- and maybe some meat and the head if needed. As noted above, nothing beats an external frame pack for bulky, heavy loads.

Last edited by longbarrel; 02/08/16.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

You can, but it gives up a bunch.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Seek Outside will do everything u want and more. It also rides like air.
HD

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with the daypack first load out then the dedicated pack frame for hauling out

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For hunting from the truck the 2 pack idea works just fine...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HatchieDawg
Seek Outside will do everything u want and more. It also rides like air.
HD

That's where I was heading with my question.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you go into the hunt with the mindset that getting it out is gonna' suck, you'll never be disappointed. When I’m hunting, I’m using a medium size backpack with a capacity of about 4,000 cu.in., (Osprey Zenuith 75) which is mostly empty. When I kill an elk, I carry out the first load of loose meat in that pack and then I switch to a bigger pack (North Face Back Shadow, about 6,400 cu.in.) capable of carrying 80#. I carry out the big quarters in that pack. Then I switch back to the smaller pack to go back in and get my camp.

North Face no longer produces the Back Shadow.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

You can, but it gives up a bunch.
I prefer an internal that I use for both. My choice was a Kifaru pack a bit over a decade ago. I've day hunted, touristed Italy, and fit both a front & rear quarter of an elk in it. if I was in the market today I'd be looking at Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Seeks, and Stone Glacier packs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pointer
I prefer an internal that I use for both. My choice was a Kifaru pack a bit over a decade ago.

Me too, on both counts.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have an Easton Fullbore 3600 that I like quite a bit. I think it retails for like $170, but I got a deal off of camofire for like $100.

It expands from 1200 to 5600 cu in. I use it as a day pack and then if I get something I expand it out to the 5600 cu in pack. It has a lightweight internal frame that I like.

There is no question that an external frame pack is better if everything else is equal for hauling meat. But I like to take out a bunch during my first hike out after a kill. Everything has held up well on my pack so far (3 hunting seasons/1 dead deer/1 dead elk).

For my first season, my shoulders would really hurt after a day of hunting. But then I realized I had to tighten the waist strap better. After that, I haven't had problems. That's something that someone with more backpacking experience would have known already.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There are some great daypack size packs that are up to the task of hauling elk quarters and more. Exo Mountain 3500, Kuiu Ultra and Icon Pro, Kifaru, Seek Outside, Eberlestock, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch...

Here's a hind quarter and the head on a Kuiu Ultra 3000. The quarter is outside the bag so there's still room for water and rain gear/game bags, knives, rope etc.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's news to me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tanner

That's news to me.

+1. Then again, what the [bleep] do I know. I don't road hunt.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Look at the Kifaru Mountain Rambler, a place for your rifle with a pack and load sling, it will work great for what your looking to do!

And definitely eliminates the need for two frames!

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 02/08/16.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.