Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by bea175
454 is about as good as it gets, if you want bigger then move up to the 500 Smith

Perhaps on paper...

The 480 is the perfect blend of a package that will drive a large diameter heavy hardcast bullet with sufficient velocity to drive clear through with a shootable level of recoil without requiring an overly heavy revolver or a muzzle brake.

The 480 is the real world, real deal.

^^^This ^^^
I own Ruger RedHawks in .480, .454 Casull, & 45 Colt. Plus numerous Blackhawks & Bisleys in .45 Colt & 44 Mag.
If I could only choose one for Handgun Hunting, I would choose the new Ruger Bisley in .480 hands down and twice on Sunday. I've got one on order with my LGS, and should have it soon!

With a moderate handload pushing a 400 grain LBT Hard Cast Lead bullet at 1100 fps, it will easily take any game animal in N. America. And with less recoil and muzzle blast & much more pleasurable to shoot than my .454 Casull.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/08/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Shorter chambered cylinder...more accurately the 45 Colt chambering.

Yeah, but why is the cylinder chambered in .454 a drawback. Fits in the same place. My .454 SBH shoots .45 Colts with unbelievable accuracy. Just not sure why you're making the distinction.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
454 is about as good as it gets, if you want bigger then move up to the 500 Smith

Not a fan of the .500 S&W. There are better .50s that fit in a revolvers that weigh a lot less than 5-lbs that work as well if not better without the 62,000 psi pressure ceiling. As mentioned elsewhere, the .475s (.480 and Linebaugh) are real, honest, game-getters that can be carried all day every day. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Going with the .480

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pacecars
Going with the .480

You will be well served!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No way in hell would own a bulky X-Frame 500 S&W. No practical reason to do so. I've seen them used in the feild and they are not Amy more effective than a 500 JRH or Linebaugh that fits in a Ruget Bisley and BFR.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by pacecars
Going with the .480

A wise choice.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
My dealer hasn't been able to find one in stock so I guess I will grab one off gunbroker

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys are a bunch of commie-rats! When I was getting ready to order my Ruger, y'all said the 454 and NOW you're touting the 480??? arrrgh! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
You guys are a bunch of commie-rats! When I was getting ready to order my Ruger, y'all said the 454 and NOW you're touting the 480??? arrrgh! smile

I have both, Jorge! grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I had both as well, but since I also have a 45 Colt Bisley 5.5" barrel I decided I didn't need the 454 so I sold it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go to Hornady.com. Click on the tab "Ballistic Resources" on the left. The second choice from the bottom in the drop down menu is called HITS, the one you want. Fill in the blanks and not the differences. The number generated is momentum based instead of kinetic energy based.
The 480 with 400 grain bullets @ 1200fps hits harder than a 460 S&W's 300 gr bullet @ 1700fps.

Last edited by norske; 02/09/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

I have both, Jorge! grin

grin

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Blackhawk in 45 Colt. It has ben doing the job of a long time and will still be getting it done long after we are gone.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

No way in hell would own a bulky X-Frame 500 S&W. No practical reason to do so. I've seen them used in the feild and they are not Amy more effective than a 500 JRH or Linebaugh that fits in a Ruget Bisley and BFR.

I don't need a reason to buy and/own any firearm I can legally possess. The only criteria is if I want said firearm and I have the means of getting it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

I don't need a reason to buy and/own any firearm I can legally possess. The only criteria is if I want said firearm and I have the means of getting it.

No one said any different, but IMHO a handgun needs to easily handy and IME the X-Frame is too big to be easily handy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No one said any different, but IMHO a handgun needs to easily handy and IME the X-Frame is too big to be easily handy.

Well, John, I'd be the last guy to deny you your opinion regarding things that apply to you. I have no trouble handling the large X-frame 500 Magnum. I purchased a holster from the S&W Custom shop made for the X-frame revolver. The holster comes with a strap that crosses your body and places the weight of the revolver on the opposite side shoulder and trapezes muscle, not your belt. It has a great piece of padding that fits around that strap, and the padding is covered in synthetic fur to eliminate rubbing from the strap. I've donned it many times and walked around the house for a full day to determine if I could carry it in relative comfort. Guess what; I can.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I suspect when guys say they can't/won't "handle" a .500 S7W, they don't mean carrying it around in a holster, but actually holding and shooting it.

My choice is the .480, also. Never shot or really cared to shoot a .454. I do have, and use, a .45 Colt Blackhawk, but don't try to load it to .454 levels. In my .44's and the .45 I tend to shoot 300+ gr hard cast at +/- 1000 fps, and they really get the job done with less recoil, which is good for my wrists and my revolvers. I look at the .480 as more of a good thing. 400r or heavier hard cast at the same velocity makes a bigger hole and should be hitting "harder". I would probably like to have a .480 Bisley, but my Super Redhawk does a fine job.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Handgun hunters are a fickle group that is very divided on Smith & Wesson's X-frame offerings. Some feel, myself included, that those who embraced S&W's aggressive marketing, were relatively new to hunting with a handgun and had probably never shot, or owned, or used anything bigger than a .44 Magnum in the past. Hence the success they had marketing "2,500 foot pounds of muzzle energy!!!" -- gotta have that, that's somehow significant! Whereas cartridges like the .475 Linebaugh, .500 Linebaugh, .500 Maximum, etc., though largely a handloader's proposition, preceded the big S&W cartridges by decades and those who embraced those cartridges knew that those numbers that look so good and convincing on paper, don't really amount to much with regards to lethality.

But let's take a quick look at how Smith & Wesson got to their impressive numbers. First, they designed two BIG cases, that required a whole new revolver to house, but that was only part 1 of the equation. Part 2 required them to run the pressures really high, leaving only one commercial cartridge with a higher SAAMI maximum, the .454 Casull. So, now you have a scaled up N-frame, with huge by large proportions, that generates an enormous amount of muzzle blast and noise. How attractive.

Now, that is not to say that they have no place in handgun hunting. I know guys with real experience who have embraced them, but they are open minded enough to know that there are other (and sometimes better) ways to skin a cat. If long range is your deal, the .460 is a great place to start. It's a matter of choice. For me, I would rather get close as that is the essence of handgun hunting. But again, that's just me. The .500? Well, I personally feel that the extra 150 - 200 fps you can squeeze out of the S&W over let's say the .500 Linebaugh or .500 JRH, or .500 WE doesn't buy you much of anything in killing power. But it does force you to carry a much heavier and bulkier revolver and you have the noise and muzzle blast now to contend with. So no, I don't think that stepping up to the .500 S&W is somehow moving up to the ultimate or plateau of handgun power. I had one and it really wasn't all that -- but I might not have known that had I not had .475s, .480s, .454s, .500 Linebaughs, etc. in the past and known how they perform on game.

Sorry for the thread hijacking, but I sometimes feel that various members sling commentary out there without explaining what it is they are basing their opinions on. Again, my apologies.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Spot on Whit! Those that argue how easy the X-frame is to pack I suspect haven't flown in to hunt Alsaka in a small bush plane and got dropped off. The amount of camp chores make the smaller package so much easier to deal with on a constant daily basis. Not to mention sleeping in a dome tent on the ground in prime bear habitat. The larger the firearm the tougher to get into play if a big bear gets on the tent and you. BTDT

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,039
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.