Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
MANCHESTER, N.H -- If Marco Rubio won the Iowa caucus by finishing third last week, Ted Cruz just won New Hampshire.

Cruz (R-Texas), the actual winner of the Iowa Republican caucus, finished third in the New Hampshire primary Tuesday night, behind life-sized Chucky impersonator Donald Trump and Ohio Gov. John Kasich. In other words, he lost.

But don't count Cruz out quite yet. Just two of the 48 states have voted, and Cruz has the money -- and the polling numbers -- to stay in the GOP race and, potentially, win it.

Cruz, a methodical politician, plotted a course to the nomination months if not years ago, with a strategy to stay in contention long enough to make it a one-on-one race with an establishment-backed candidate.

Along the way, he has amassed tremendous resources. Super PACs that back Cruz have raised more than $42 million; his campaign has raised more money -- $47 million -- than any other Republican, save Ben Carson, who spent much of it on fundraising expenses. And he has the most cash on hand for the stretch run -- $18.4 million as of Feb. 1 -- despite already spending $28.4 million.

In New Hampshire, Cruz spent little of that money, with rival Rubio (R-Fla.) throwing nearly 30 times what Cruz did at the state.

Nationwide, GOP voters overwhelmingly like Cruz, and consider him one of the only candidates with a realistic chance at winning. Just 15 percent of Republican voters say they would definitely not support him, placing him behind Rubio or Kasich as a consensus candidate, but leaving him far more acceptable than either Jeb Bush or Trump.

Trump, though, is a hitch in Cruz' plan. While the establishment has warmed to him, Trump's far from an establishment candidate, throwing off the Cruz plan to be the most conservative candidate remaining in the race. His plan to wait for Trump's inevitable collapse is being thwarted by Trump's refusal to collapse. And his plan to challenge an establishment candidate in a final showdown has been stunted by the establishment's refusal to find a candidate to back. Rubio, who looked on his way to that spot, face-planted in New Hampshire. Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who surged to second in New Hampshire, has barely any money and minimal support in the south. And Jeb! Bush can't get out of the single digits.

Cruz' vociferous appeals to religiosity, useless in the nation's least religious state, is likely to give him an edge in heavily evangelical states, many of which are front-loaded in the primary calendar. His campaign has long viewed the March 1 "SEC primary," a collection of religiously conservative Southern states, as especially fertile ground, with Cruz expected to rack up a number of Texas’ 155 delegates. (Texas is not a winner-take-all state.)

But as The New York Times' Nate Cohn points out, Cruz' win in Iowa offers some real warning signs for his candidacy. Cruz's victory rested primarily on the strength of voters who described themselves as "very conservative" -- a group that makes up a large swath of caucus-goers in Iowa and Nevada, but a far smaller bloc in most other states.

Cruz’ rise may also be part of Rubio’s fall. A number of New Hampshire voters at a Cruz event on Monday told HuffPost that they were choosing between Cruz and Rubio -- and Rubio’s exchange with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie during the GOP debate over the weekend had done him no favors.

“He doesn’t really have much of a good rebuttal,” Jake Hochschwender of Newfields said of Rubio. “Sometimes he just kind of seems like a deer in the headlights.”

Hochschwender was previously leaning toward Rubio, but Rubio’s recent struggles to break from his talking points highlighted his inexperience, Hochswender said.

Another voter, Dan Irish of Hookset, reported that, while Rubio’s debate performance hadn’t cost him his vote, it did open the door for Cruz to win it. “I was leaning toward Rubio before the debate,” Irish said.

Irish said he was looking for two things from a candidate: conservatism and the ability to beat Hillary Clinton. And Rubio’s flub seemed to have exposed his vulnerabilities. “That was a bad moment for Rubio when he kept bringing up the issues with Obama,” Irish said.

If you believe voter anecdotes, there was a real chance for Rubio to steal from the likes of Kasich and the rest of the field. And Rubio missed his shot.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
How much has Trump spent? Last I heard he hasn't even spent 3 million.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yeah, and Bush spent over ten times that for a distant 3rd place finish. Loser.

Originally Posted by PowerLine
Senator Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)97%
, whom the establishment despises, finished a surprising third with 12 percent of the vote, despite spending well under $1 million in the state in television advertising. Cruz actually won about the same percentage as fourth-place finisher Jeb! Bush, who spent $35 million on television advertising in the state. Cruz was rightly celebratory:

Thank you New Hampshire for tonight’s result, which has left the Washington Cartel utterly terrified.

— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) February 10, 2016

Last edited by CrowRifle; 02/09/16.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
4th place finish

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All these dumbass writers make everything too complicated. It will boil down to liberal vs. conservative as always. Republicans nominated liberals the last two elections and lost their (our) ass. George W. Bush won easily, because the voters THOUGHT he would be a conservative, after Clinton fatigue. How'd that work out?

Liberalism is killing America and it doesn't matter whether it is Republican or Democrat.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well, I'm all about Cruz, hope things swing around for him in the south but I'm afraid people want to gamble on real "CHANGE" AND DT is the one for that, for the better or worse. As said before, I don't think DT can be bought & paid for & I think other countries will be scared chitless of him. That said, I hope TC can get things going his way. Everyone has an opinion, that's why we have free world elections, but I think TC is the best over all for America and the citizens. Keep our military strong & keep us free! JMHFO.
Jim D

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear you. I can't wait for Cruz to win the Republican nomination by coming in like, 3rd or whatever.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
What intrigued me somewhat is how Christie's slamming of Rubio during the last debate provided a boost for Trump and Kasich.

With Kasich done after SC,it's reassuring to know that many Rubio and Kasich supporters would naturally move to the Trump camp.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gonesouth
Well, I'm all about Cruz, hope things swing around for him in the south but I'm afraid people want to gamble on real "CHANGE" AND DT is the one for that, for the better or worse. As said before, I don't think DT can be bought & paid for & I think other countries will be scared chitless of him. That said, I hope TC can get things going his way. Everyone has an opinion, that's why we have free world elections, but I think TC is the best over all for America and the citizens. Keep our military strong & keep us free! JMHFO.
Jim D

That's all nice. Now, for the important stuff. Who's he gonna replace 3-5 Supreme Court Justices with? His sister? Even his most ardent supporters admit he's not conservative. Why doesn't that matter?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
You figure like a lawyer

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has a ways to go yet. On the other side I hope looney Bernie gets the nomination. It's almost amazing and sad that his ramblings resonate with so many.
We are already in a deep hole, more taxes and promises and it will all be better?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac

With Kasich done after SC,it's reassuring to know that many Rubio and Kasich supporters would naturally move to the Trump camp.

I don't know about Rubio and Kasich, but Trump and Christie are two peas in a pod. He'll get them quick.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
You figure like a lawyer

Love me some Bob! I think of this every time be does that.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
TFF !

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
That's all nice. Now, for the important stuff. Who's he gonna replace 3-5 Supreme Court Justices with?

I'd just as soon they were replaced with Justices without an agenda either way, other than sticking to the constitution.

But that's just me and my warped vision of things oughta be.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's would work if they were all in a plane crash.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never really thought much about why Cruz sounds like an AM radio televangelist.

His path to the nomination is trying to wrap up the evangelical vote.

I doubt there is anything actually sincere about this man.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
I never really thought much about why Cruz sounds like an AM radio televangelist.

His path to the nomination is trying to wrap up the evangelical vote.

I doubt there is anything actually sincere about this man.

Unlike Trump, he's not a big supporter of affirmative action, but I realize that kind of stuff doesn't matter to you guys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by gonesouth
Jim D

That's all nice. Now, for the important stuff. Who's he gonna replace 3-5 Supreme Court Justices with? His sister? Even his most ardent supporters admit he's not conservative. Why doesn't that matter?
As long as Cruz burns no bridges, I don't see why he wouldn't be at the top of the list. Sometimes true service means taking the job you're offered as opposed to the one you want.

Trump is never going to be on the SCOTUS, but other than Rand Paul and Cruz, are there any of those dickweasels that you'd trust on the SCOTUS? If not, then why would you trust them to make nominations?

Where we are effed is the Senate being a rubber stamp for any Dem President's nominees.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I've said since Iowa that I wondered how Cruz would fare against Kasich and Bush in NH.

It's comforting to know Cruz's awesome ground game in NH was at least awesome enough to secure his squeaker 3rd place finish over Bush.

So much for the epic fail of the "Trump Inevitability" thread.

We at least got to see who the voters actually believe is the anti-establishment candidate vs. the establishment candidates.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 270cowboy, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.