Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
This is in the 2016 Big Game brochure. New way for CPW to make more money.

» CHANGES TO HUNTER EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS WILL BEGIN APRIL 2016... New changes to hunter education requirements in Colorado will begin on April 6, 2016. There will be a new test-out option available for the hunter education certification requirement as well as an apprentice license for new hunters. Hunters age 50 or older or U.S. military personnel defined as active-duty, reserve-duty, veteran and National Guard can test out of the hunter education requirements by creating a customer identification number and taking a one-time, online test that must be completed in a single session with a 90 percent pass rate. Hunters age 50 and older must wait 24 hours after successfully passing to purchase a license. Military personnel must take certificate of completion and their military ID to a CPW office for verification and/or license purchase. The cost of the online test is $25. Hunters who do not score 90 percent or higher on their test must attend a hunter education class.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/10/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I just read the Big Game Brochure section on-line regarding hunter education. The new option which saddlesore mentions is there. The exclusion for people born before 1/1/1949 is still there too. Whew! So no real change for us old fogies.

Coincidentally, after fifty-five years of hunting safely, I finally (just last week) took a hunter safety course. I wanted to enjoy the experience with my grand-son and it was fun, just as I had hoped. BTW I aced the test. Anything less would have been a disappointment.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Did not see the pre 1949 section. That is good to know

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I haven't gotten the new regs yet. If you've already done a Hunter's Safety and gotten it verified, do you still have to go through this?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, it's just a method for people who need the course to test out of sitting through it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by KC

Coincidentally, after fifty-five years of hunting safely, I finally (just last week) took a hunter safety course. I wanted to enjoy the experience with my grand-son and it was fun, just as I had hoped. BTW I aced the test. Anything less would have been a disappointment.

KC

Good for you!

I took my first hunter safety course with my daughter ten years ago, when she decided she wanted to become an active hunter. I would encourage any older guy who's never taken hunter safety to consider doing so, and use it as an excuse to take one of your younger relations to the class while you do it. You might learn something, and you might help a new hunter get into our sport who otherwise might never get the start s/he needs.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

While I'll grant you the revenue bit of it, the money made is trivial. The impact on hunter safety, though, can be substantial. If you take a look at the hunter accident incident reports put out by each state, the bulk of the accidents and injuries aren't from newbies. It's those of us that have been hunting a long time that just get careless, or lazy, or frankly have been damned lucky for too long that end up getting hurt or killed.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are a fool at 50, that stupid test will not change that.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbhooper
If you are a fool at 50, that stupid test will not change that.

You might just learn a few tips that change the way you do things, or one or two that might just save your ass.

The only real fools are the ones that don't think there's anything else for them to learn.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I miss the cut by a year but I've already got a Colorado CID and a hunter safety certificate tied to it so I'm good to go.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 4ager
smokepole,

While I'll grant you the revenue bit of it, the money made is trivial. The impact on hunter safety, though, can be substantial. If you take a look at the hunter accident incident reports put out by each state, the bulk of the accidents and injuries aren't from newbies. It's those of us that have been hunting a long time that just get careless, or lazy, or frankly have been damned lucky for too long that end up getting hurt or killed.

Lots of guides I've hunted with say similar things, that the younger hunters have far better gun safety than the seasoned vets.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
smokepole,

I think you probably meant to direct your comments to Saddlesore (that cantankerous SOB), since I didn't say anything about revenue.

PS, no need to convince me on the benefits of hunter education, I volunteer my time to teach the class here in CO.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
smokepole,

I think you probably meant to direct your comments to Saddlesore (that cantankerous SOB), since I didn't say anything about revenue.

PS, no need to convince me on the benefits of hunter education, I volunteer my time to teach the class here in CO.

When you get to be my age,you are granted a "Cantankerous SOB Card" so you don't have to suffer fools such as this forum seems to have a generous allotment of. Smokepole excepted of course. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My sons and wife tell me that I already play that card too much.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One can also get an accepted card from another state via an online course. Oregon has an online course for adults and I think it runs $25. One need not be a resident.

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The only real fools are the ones that don't think there's anything else for them to learn.

Sound wisdom here.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by smokepole
smokepole,

When you get to be my age,you are granted a "Cantankerous SOB Card" so you don't have to suffer fools such as this forum seems to have a generous allotment of. Smokepole excepted of course. grin

smokepole,

You are correct; it was intended for saddlesore. I aspire to "Cantankerous SOB"dom one day. He sets a good standard. wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He sets the bar high, and sets the standard.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
After 40 plus years of hunting safely, being a NRA certified marksmanship instructor, I still haven't taken that hunter safety test. I refuse to take it too. [bleep]-em. I hunt states and parts of Canada where I don't need it.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good for you, that's showin' 'em.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.