Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Getting ready for a home remodel and looking at high end appliances.

Looking at Wolf, Thermador and Viking.

Looking for your personal experience with any of these. Any problems?
If so, how was service? What do you like about the choices you made.

None of these are a cheap date and I'm going to be buying an entire set for a new kitchen so I'm trying to weed out problems before I buy.
I've already been online looking at what people aren't happy with but all you really find are pissed off folks posting. No happy posts.

Thanks,
Bob

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Go to a commercial restaurant supply wholesaler. If their stuff can stand what it goes through you shouldn't have any issues at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thermador range top, convection oven, and micro. Ten years old now, no problems I can think of. Our service guy, when working on other stuff, says they don't have to fix much on the Thermadors.

Overall nice quality, good heat control on the range top, surface still looks new, oven takes a long time to preheat but otherwise nice. I'd get them again.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
restaurant gear, while certainly sturdy, is not always the best choice for home use.
They will put out a LOT of heat, consume a lot of gas, and won't offer the versitility and convenience that most folks are expecting from their range.
I spent most of my life owning and running restaurants, so I have a bit of experience with that gear.

Sam......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Homeowners insurance may not cover you if you install commercial equipment in a home kitchen, because of the heat output.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Look at Blue Star. They used to have the hottest burners in the industry and were very competitively priced, though you'll still pay a bunch.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I'm not looking at restaurant equipment. This is just high end residential equipment. It's still going to cost 25-30k so just curious if anyone has good or bad feedback on it.

Thanks,
Bob

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'm no expert, but I notice things. Some high-output gas cooktops don't have any or more than one burner small enough to effectively heat a small pan or pot. A lot of the bigger burners just blow flame up the sides. Flame impingement is probably more important than high btu output.

Big ovens can take big time to get up to temperature.

Commercial-type cooktops can be hard to clean if you boil stuff over.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ages ago, a buddy bought a "commercial" range/stove "direct from manufacturer". IIRC it was manufactured in Europe and he had huge issues, never quite resolved. Beware of deals too good to be true.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
True commercial equipment is most likely not feasible. Warranty and service would be #1. Spending the money on Viking et al is no guarantee that you'll see an increase in performance or dependability. I'm in the process of researching the same thing and will be replacing our Bosch gas range and still ain't sure which way I'm gonna go. I could Replace my range every year and would not realize any cost savings for years over the price of the fancy names.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vek
I'm no expert, but I notice things. Some high-output gas cooktops don't have any or more than one burner small enough to effectively heat a small pan or pot. A lot of the bigger burners just blow flame up the sides. Flame impingement is probably more important than high btu output.

Big ovens can take big time to get up to temperature.

Commercial-type cooktops can be hard to clean if you boil stuff over.

We ended up buying a DCS when we remodeled our kitchen. While not "industrial grade" it has one burner that is truly high power and boil water very quickly and just important to me the burners can go very low and simmer.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We have a Viking that is going on nine years. In that time a pilot went out. A local guy that knows Vikings fixed it for $300 IIRC. Other than that no issues. Due keep in mind that they, at least mine, is not as deep as many typical ovens so they run closer to flush with the base cabinets for astetics. This does make the oven shallower though this has not caused a problem for us.

[Linked Image]

Our dish washer is an Asko. Same age with zero issues. Fridge is a high end Jenn-aire. Same age with zero issues.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
We put the 2005 version of this one in our remodeled kitchen back in 2005. No issues to date. It has two burners that are useful for small pots and pans, the rest are too big. Center burner is pretty rowdy - good for searing and stir fry. Cleans easy. Grate arrangement is such that you can set a pot or pan anywhere over a large surface. http://www.windcrestcnp.com/CTSG365DS.htm

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I can't comment on the 3 brands you mentioned. In case the brand Dacor happens to come up in your research, however, I'll just say that I'll never allow another piece of their equipment to enter my home. In fact, if a representative of theirs were to show up at my door, I just might unholster my weapon. mad

I replaced their [excrementy] cooktop with the only one I could find that would fit the existing cutout in the granite - a GE Monogram. It works just fine. Everything else in the remodel was KitchenAid Superba, & I'm well-pleased with it all at 11+ years.

I tried to look at online ratings when I bought, but it seemed like most brands had just as many posters swearing AT them, as BY them. IMO, the distributor is almost more important than the brand, since you'll deal with them first if there are any problems. I'd look for a distributor who's been around a while, is easy to work with, and has a decent selection.

Good luck, & let us know what you choose.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only had it for a year, but love our Thermador. The gas top gets used multiple times a day.

[Linked Image]

I don't know that we use the steam oven enough to justify the added cost, but there are times it's nice to have a second oven. The one note on the steam oven is it's tiny compared to std size oven.

Our thermador appliances aren't the pro grade, just high end residential appliances. I did a fair bit of research and they came out on top in terms of quality and reliability.

The only appliance that isn't thermador is the fridge, and we've had issues with it building up condensation and leaking on the floor. Several visits from the appliance guy and still not fixed.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good looking crib right there.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
http://www.bluestarcooking.com/high-end-appliances

I'd look very closely at this brand. Nothing but great reviews and excellent customer service. Ill vouch for their quality.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I can't comment on the 3 brands you mentioned. In case the brand Dacor happens to come up in your research, however, I'll just say that I'll never allow another piece of their equipment to enter my home. In fact, if a representative of theirs were to show up at my door, I just might unholster my weapon. mad

I replaced their [excrementy] cooktop with the only one I could find that would fit the existing cutout in the granite - a GE Monogram. It works just fine. Everything else in the remodel was KitchenAid Superba, & I'm well-pleased with it all at 11+ years.

I tried to look at online ratings when I bought, but it seemed like most brands had just as many posters swearing AT them, as BY them. IMO, the distributor is almost more important than the brand, since you'll deal with them first if there are any problems. I'd look for a distributor who's been around a while, is easy to work with, and has a decent selection.

Good luck, & let us know what you choose.

FC

When we did the kitchen in our other home we got a Dacor refrigerator and a six-burner gas range. We're really happy with the stuff, when we're up there we entertain a lot and the stuff gets used a lot.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had a Viking in our restaurants for years with no problems. NONE. That said, they are for commercial use and expensive. They require much more gas than residential use and are very hot. You will need to install a very good hood just to remove the heat. In doing so, you will find that without a recirulator you will lose a lot of heat or air conditioning in your home through the vent. Our hood cost more than the stove. I looked into putting one in our home and because of the hood it became cost prohibitive fast. You will just have to want to have a commercial appliance in your home to go that route.

That said, there are Viking units designed for the home that look good and work great, but still will require a great hood vented to the outside. Still expensive but a great WOW statement.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I was looking I discovered that Viking is very hard to get parts for. You may be down quite a while IF you have a problem. I installed Thermador and loved it. The commercial style cooktops are nice but the ovens are not particularly homeowner-regular cook friendly. I got an electric oven in lieu of a gas one.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,563
Posts18,510,657
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.