Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I found this odd, TD with Stith, and rifle barrel .410.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=541391642

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
well pilgrim, you gotta take the Stith off to get the rifle barrel off to put the 410 barrel on it. Not exactly a quick change operation.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Seems like a Frankenstein setup to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Live auction:

Not that it really matters, no bids and prolly nobody here that see's that kind of money their.

That wood has been heavily sanded, don't have the energy to describe all the other "problems".

That is a gun I would give 800 for and then split it up and make a few bucks...

Still, might be a members gun, so don't see any value in posting this auction until it went down. Tomorrow would have been a better time to have this discussion.

Just saying...

Last edited by 99guy; 02/09/16.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Per the terms of the "posting live auctions rule", I felt this item was so messed up, that it was a good post.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Note to self-

*Patient displays reckless abandon for forum rules. Keep 1899guy on probation indefinitely. Does not play well with others. Threaten to withhold pudding if behavior continues.

That is all for now.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta pick my teeth off the keyboard and put them back in.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry, did not mean to break rules.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1899guy
Sorry, did not mean to break rules.

Just playing friend. grin

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If a "rule" is worth having, it should be published for all to see. Unwritten rules are, by their very nature, ambiguous.

If I see an item for sale or at auction that might be of interest to a particular member, I PM them with the information, just did it earlier today. A week or so ago, I PM'd Calhoun with info on a 1920 in 250-3000 that I ran across, was that against "the rules" too?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Note to self-

Member exhibits possible issues with authority. Encourage member to explore parent/child relationships for resolution. Draw member into discussions about why rules are important and what civilized society would look like without order. Use examples member can identify with.

*Am noticing increased angst with forum members disregard for rules. Monitor conditions and recommend treatment.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Stith and scope=what, $400?

410 barrel= maybe $300

That leaves $400 for the rifle. Not a deal, but probably not out of line.

One thing I found odd was the rifle sights on the 410 barrel. Mine has a bead. I know there were several variations of the shotgun barrels, but is the rifle sights correct.....or common?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wyo1895
well pilgrim, you gotta take the Stith off to get the rifle barrel off to put the 410 barrel on it. Not exactly a quick change operation.

Probably not a real accurate or repeatable setup either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If a "rule" is worth having, it should be published for all to see. Unwritten rules are, by their very nature, ambiguous.

If I see an item for sale or at auction that might be of interest to a particular member, I PM them with the information, just did it earlier today. A week or so ago, I PM'd Calhoun with info on a 1920 in 250-3000 that I ran across, was that against "the rules" too?

Nope, pm'ing info on a gun is perfectly legit. I've lost count of how many guns I've referred to members here.

And the guidelines are in the "Misc. Good Info" thread in this forum, so they are "published".

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gregintenn

One thing I found odd was the rifle sights on the 410 barrel. Mine has a bead. I know there were several variations of the shotgun barrels, but is the rifle sights correct.....or common?

It looks for all the world like it was a rifle barrel bored out to .410 after it left the factory. No reason on God's green earth to put rifle sights on a .410 shotgun. I looked at doing that every way from next Sunday with an 1899H barrel and concluded there simply wasn't enough meat in it, but it appears maybe I was wrong. On the other hand, there can't be much wall thickness between the rear sight dovetail and the bore, in an area where pressures are still running high in the bore. Dunno. You can get away with thin walls out at the muzzle- pressures have dropped off a lot by then- but farther back...

I'm still toying with having a roached 1899A TD barrel bored out to .410. Being heavier I think there's plenty of meat in it for safety.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/10/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Nope, pm'ing info on a gun is perfectly legit. I've lost count of how many guns I've referred to members here.

And the guidelines are in the "Misc. Good Info" thread in this forum, so they are "published".

I only recognize Rick Bin's rules. If they aren't Rick's rules, they are just suggestions to be followed, or not followed, at the discretion of the individual.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

I only recognize Rick Bin's rules. If they aren't Rick's rules, they are just suggestions to be followed, or not followed, at the discretion of the individual.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Which is why I called them guidelines and not rules. Nobody is going to get booted off the site for posting live auctions. Just like nobody would get booted from the site for badmouthing sales in the free classifieds - another campfire guideline. But it's also likely to get ugly...

I personally am interested in learning, and that's just as easy for me to do by posting it after the auction is over and asking my questions then. If I want to help somebody get on a great deal, obviously a PM is better.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.