Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For those that are already in retirement, did you try living on your anticipated retirement budget before you retired.

My wife and I are going to set a weekly budget equal to our anticipated retirement income and live on it for a year to see how it feels. Anyone ever done anything like that, and how did it turn out?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I applaud you for looking at it this early and having a plan.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lived on well less than our anticipated income for many years. That's one thing that let me retire early, and I've still not started to milk any of my IRA's. Being completely debt free is also a wonderful benefit.

Will of course start in on those at the mandated 70.% yrs and simply view that as play money.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/11/16.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It really helps to enter retirement without a mortgage.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Going into retirement debt free is critical, as is having a budget that is realistic and allows you to set aside a portion of your monthly income for both anticipated and unanticipated expenses. A lot of people forget how expensive home and vehicle maintenance and vehicle replacement is today and will continue to be tomorrow.

EDIT: Another drain on retired folks are their children and grandchildren. A lot of retired folks spend a significant portion of their savings supporting their children, often paying for luxuries of the sort that they would never have bought for themselves. My 32 year old niece is a prime example of this. She and her husband earn about $400K, but manage to spend all of the net and then some. She is regularly asking her grandmother, my MIL, for a couple thousand here and a couple thousand there. Fortunately, my MIL can afford to give her the money, but I don't think that my MIL's enabling her to live beyond her means is helping her learn how to manage her money so that she can live within her means when her grandmother is gone.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 02/11/16. Reason: Added comment
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
For those that are already in retirement, did you try living on your anticipated retirement budget before you retired. Yes and still do.

My wife and I are going to set a weekly budget equal to our anticipated retirement income and live on it for a year to see how it feels. Anyone ever done anything like that, and how did it turn out? Good idea and it turned out well.

That said, I do not agree that retiring debt free is best for all. Very dependent upon one's situation.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
For those that are already in retirement, did you try living on your anticipated retirement budget before you retired. Yes and still do.

My wife and I are going to set a weekly budget equal to our anticipated retirement income and live on it for a year to see how it feels. Anyone ever done anything like that, and how did it turn out? Good idea and it turned out well.

That said, I do not agree that retiring debt free is best for all. Very dependent upon one's situation.

While every situation is different, I can't see how being debt free is ever a bad thing. Debt has to be serviced and the money to service the debt has to come from somewhere.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by EdM

While every situation is different, I can't see how being debt free is ever a bad thing. Debt has to be serviced and the money to service the debt has to come from somewhere.

That is one view and one I do not share given my circumstances.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

You must have special circumstances. Care to share?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Put away about 20% into a 457 plan while I worked and got a small raise when I retired! Was used to living on less so it was no adjustment. Had house free and clear and no xtra bills. Part of a 20 year plan!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

I won't pretend to speak for EdM, but with some mortgages around 3%, and considering that

You must have special circumstances. Care to share?

I won't pretend to speak for EdM, but with some mortgages around 3%, and considering that You can get a quarter or a third of that back on your taxes, getting it near 2%, it almost makes sense to make use of such "cheap" money, to free yourself up to use the cash on other things, be they amusements/necessities/investments.

I won't argue the benefits of getting out of debts that are racking up 6-18% interest. You don't want that hanging over your head, but at 2-3% interest, I don't see much benefit to going all "Dave Ramsey" on certain debts...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My mortgage is just over 3%. I plan to pay extra principal, but at this point I'm more concerned with building more cash, 401, etc. In fact, I'd rather find the right investment property and invest in that, than pay down mortgage. As it stands, if monies increase as I plan, I can cover my mortgage into retirement.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Retired almost 10 months ago. Life is good so far!
I would definitely recommend preparing a budget based on your past actual expenditures for both essential and discretionary expenses. Then look at some free sites like Investopedia to see how your income streams will match up to expenses (4 box method). Found that useful to find any problems.

In addition to others comments I recommend consideration for "consequence of events". Or more simply because life happens, have a cash cushion for unplanned expenses or if your investments are in the [bleep] (like the stock market since I retired). I'm ok for a few more years but.....

Last year my biggest personal expense was on fuel for hunting and fishing adventures cause I have most of the toys I need. Might even need a new truck a little earlier than I had planned! (But not complaining cause it isn't work related anymore)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Agree with Ed. Retired 2 years ago. The only bill I have is a 15 year mortgage at 3%, sold my big house in a high tax area downsized to a low tax area away from the big city. Used the 50K in tax free equity put most in the bank, used some to upgrade the house. Still haven't touched any of my annuities or 401k's and shouldn't have to for another 10 years, but .gov is going to make me in 6 when I turn 70. I do work 15 to 20 hours a week out of my home shop to pay for health insurance until next year when I have to join Medicare.
All in all life in retirement is good, I get up in the morning drink coffe while watching the sunrise, and think about what I don't have to do today unless I want to. grin

Swifty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

With such low mortgage rates, I can see the financial sense in holding, or even taking a 2-3% mortgage, then investing that money and if you can make 5%+ you are actually in the positive.

The tradeoff is piece of mind that you have 0 debt.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Westernmassman makes s good point. Gather up your toys before retiring if possible. I have the toys to play with in retirement and as important, the ammo to feed them, especially the rimfire. I expect to do much more rimfire for myself, as well as kids and any grandkids. Between the wife and I, I figure on one car payment. I have a company car now, but will buy a truck and drive to my grave.

I figure my retirement expenses for the first 10 years will be the same as my expenses today, minus the monthly contributions to 401, savings, etc.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I retired 9 years ago at age 51, it was planned since I was 20. My monthly income when I retired was 20% more than when I was working.

Several unforeseeable things happened in the past 9 years. The economy crash one year after I retired killing interest earned on investments and still is. Our Governor Snyder saw it fit, several years ago that I pay state income tax on my pension, 4.6 % of my monthly income gone. With Obama Care my monthly insurance premium went up 150 %. Went from Blue Cross Blue Shield that payed 100% of everything, optical and dental. To 70-30% no optical or dental. Automobile insurance has increased 100%. Then add in inflation on everything else.

Next year I can collect Social Security that will add 30% to my monthly income. My wife can collect 3 years after that.

It costing more than I planned but has not costing enough to change my way of life. As long as we have are health.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Always plan to have enough on an annualized basis to handle unforeseen changes, usually due to government policy changes (i.e. assumed interest rates on savings, health care insurance costs, etc). Also, remember to include in your budget taxes that will need to be paid and how that will eventually intersect with Social Security. We always lived on one income, although we both worked. Allowed us to retire early and to have spending patterns that remained fairly constant.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Predictions are difficult because everything changes, sometimes often. A medical emergency can wipe out anyone. A CPA isn't a bad person to consult. We have been retired for 4 years, and our CPA warned us about paying off our present mortgage (we moved) too quickly because the interest deduction lowers our income taxes by about 5%.
I turn 70 next November, so I'm facing the need to reduce the principal of my 401K enough the IRS doesn't give me a required withdrawal.
As you age, you will be able to do less. Remember the aging process accelerates. There's a much bigger change in your abilities between age 50 and 70 than there was between the ages of 30 and 50. I won't be going on any strenuous hunts or rough-water fishing any more because of my bad back.
Barring medical expenses (unpredictable), you will spend less as you age. As my 401K is decreasing, I can stay home more and spend less.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Always Always play with other peoples money not your own. Wise Jewish guy I used to work with , words of wisdom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 56 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.