Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ive seen the time it would do 2100 , right now Im not so sure, nice ,clean ,solid classic rig! Would look good in my stable! very best WinPoor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice looking rifle! Seems like there are a lot of nice looking rifles for sale right now.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bid $1700 on it but it was below the reserve. I don't like the fact that the front sight is missing and the barrel lettering has been filled in with white substance. I have a Bob and guess I just didn't need another.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr GSP, Folks will do that with chalk just to show markings for photo, dont let that sway you! I had said 1700 was tops for me as well! Sights are a small point till you have to find em to replace! Been there and done that! v best winpoor

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Even though I already have a .257 Roberts, I would sure like to add another one to my safe. Of course, I have a weakness for pre-war Winchesters regardless of chambering.

Last edited by ismith; 02/12/16.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would have to have the front sights replaced and as you said trying to find an original sight would be a PIA. I have a Pre64 Roberts and a custom one, just picked up my 25/06 build and have the 275 Rigby started so I really don't need another rifle right now. For my price it would have been nice but you can't own them all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Ive seen the time it would do 2100 , right now Im not so sure, nice ,clean ,solid classic rig! Would look good in my stable! very best WinPoor

I hear that. I was at a gunshow and watched a deal almost go down on a very nice (like new) bob. A guy came up to a dealers table and asks how much they would give him for it. They look the rifle over and say "$2,100.00". The man leaves and one dealer looks at the other and says, "man I hope he comes back" and the other dealers says, "yeah, we can easily get $2,400.00 out of it". I don't know what the market is one them right now, but I know a year ago a guy I know didn't let his bob go for $2,100.00. This guy is an acquaintance of mine and I've actually bought a real nice 308 fwt from one of his buddies. I see him from time to time and think he still has that 257 Roberts. His wife also runs a very small town gunshop in Washington and they are the ones that have the 243 fwt I've been eyeballing for a few years now.... sick. I just didn't know it was the same rifle, because it was his wife I was talking to the last time. I've had it in my hands, probably, 5 times now. eek When I had that 243 in my hands last time, my hands were shaking a little. I hate it when rifles start calling my name!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I bid $1700 on it but it was below the reserve. I don't like the fact that the front sight is missing and the barrel lettering has been filled in with white substance. I have a Bob and guess I just didn't need another.

GSP, my smith loves pre 64 model 70's. At the moment I think he has over 130 of them in his personal collection. A year ago he said he had 144 and he had just sold his magnum collection for $20,000.00. I was lucky to get the pick of the litter on his 270 fwt collection. He has sights up the wazoo and other pre 64 parts. His prices aren't real cheap unless you know him well. I know you've hassled around with finding parts on ebay and the likes so you know it can be a hassle sometimes. If you ever hit a roadblock and can't find a small part, hit me up and I can check with my smith. He might just have what you are looking for. The only problem with that is It may take me a month to get time to go to his shop since I work 6 days a week. I'm off today, but have worked the last 3 Saturdays in a row. Speaking of selling small parts on ebay. I recently sold a steel floor plate for $102.00. Damn prices are ridiculous on some of these parts. I started the bid off at $50.00, not wanting much more than the starting price. But like they say, "it is what it is"...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hard to believe that a 1955 'primo' 243 Fwt priced at $1,300.00 has been hanging around for a couple years....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Hard to believe that a 1955 'primo' 243 Fwt priced at $1,300.00 has been hanging around for a couple years....

It's priced at $1550.00 (my price is $1,300.00) locally. I've bought other fwt's for around $800.00. To be honest Pocono, I'm dragging my feet when I should be going to the gunshop and snagging that one. Still trying to recoup the $1130.00 for the electronic powersteering replacement in one of my newer vehicles and the transfercase in my pickup and transfercase in my 09 ford escape. Studded snow tires on the wifes pilot and new tires on the commuter really did my bank account in. Thus, the reason I'm working 6 days a week lately... sick

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd sure be interested in talking to someone who has sights for sale. I've been looking for a front sight hood for my 257 Bob, for a while. I don't do eBay. I even posted on here that I needed one, I got some advice but that has yet to translate into a sight hood. I'm not opposed to paying a premium price for what I need.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA thanks for the tip on the parts I'll keep that in mind.
I'd jump on the 243FWT for the price you can get it for. I sold one here in a heartbeat for more than that, it was a nice rifle as I'm sure this one is. You won't go wrong on it.

I bought my Bob almost 10 years ago and it was more than $2100. A friend has a nice one he paid $1600 for it and at some date he will tire of it and it will make a short trip east to my place.

It's -10 here with the wind so the 25/06 won't get broken in today. Natchez has a sale on Leupold scopes so the Nikon on the custom Bob will get swapped out for a Vari X III 3.5X10X40. Come on spring I need to do some shooting:)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I'd sure be interested in talking to someone who has sights for sale. I've been looking for a front sight hood for my 257 Bob, for a while. I don't do eBay. I even posted on here that I needed one, I got some advice but that has yet to translate into a sight hood. I'm not opposed to paying a premium price for what I need.

My smith sells them for $40.00. I have one I'll sell you for $40.00 +$5.00 shipping:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The only problem is if you "don't do ebay", you probably don't do paypal either. I don't accept personal checks and don't do usps money orders anymore. For one thing, I've had the run around way too many times with USPS money orders and for another, I can never make it to the post office with my work schedule. If you do paypal this part is yours, unless someone has a better one at a better deal they care to give you....

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bobmar-Numerich gun parts has sight hoods. I bought one for a 22 Hornet a little while ago and with shipping I don't think it was much more than $12.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA thanks for the tip on the parts I'll keep that in mind.
I'd jump on the 243FWT for the price you can get it for. I sold one here in a heartbeat for more than that, it was a nice rifle as I'm sure this one is. You won't go wrong on it.

I bought my Bob almost 10 years ago and it was more than $2100. A friend has a nice one he paid $1600 for it and at some date he will tire of it and it will make a short trip east to my place.

It's -10 here with the wind so the 25/06 won't get broken in today. Natchez has a sale on Leupold scopes so the Nikon on the custom Bob will get swapped out for a Vari X III 3.5X10X40. Come on spring I need to do some shooting:)

GSP, I KNOW what you mean by needing to do some shooting. I got so tired of not going, that I chained up my truck and went out into the woods to my favorite spot. I almost got stuck turning around and didn't quite make it to the pit, so I found a nice spot and set up my target in the snow and shot my 270 fwt, 338 win mag and my 223 rem. I screwed up and didn't allow for the extra time it would take to get there, so only shot for about an hour, but it helped with the jonesing!!!! grin

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA out of pure curiosity what problems have you had with USPS money orders? I have always thought these were as good as cash.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bobmar-Numerich gun parts has sight hoods. I bought one for a 22 Hornet a little while ago and with shipping I don't think it was much more than $12.

I love numrich, but those are not original hoods... They can be spotted from a mile away. If that's not important, then they are a good option...:

Here's a replica front hood:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA out of pure curiosity what problems have you had with USPS money orders? I have always thought these were as good as cash.

When they are big money orders (close to $1,000.00), they don't want to cash them and then they have this song and dance about they've been burned so many times that you wouldn't even believe it. The clerks that issue cash for the money orders are responsible. If it comes back as a fraudulent money order, that amount comes out of their paycheck. You can also deposit them into your bank account, but if they are not good, it falls on you and you are out that money. Plus it plays havoc on your account, just like a bad check would..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At the time I couldn't find an original hood to save my azz. I'm just anal enough to want the hood regardless as I think the gun looks better with one. The prairie dogs didn't seem to mind:)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 59 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.