-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a pre 1/1/49er I have taken the Hunter ED twice. First time with my youngest son. Just to see what they were teaching them. And again when I got a CCW, the first HE had "expired" (10 years) 1 month before I applied for the CCW. I would suggest that no matter how much experience one has it is a useful course to take. Still working on that cantankerous moniker. Wife thinks I getting too close. grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I assume they take Hunter Ed cards from other states? It's been a long time, but I seem to remember getting one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I assume they take Hunter Ed cards from other states?

Yep.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Still working on that cantankerous moniker. Wife thinks I getting too close. grin

I am open to mentoring or tutoring if needed.

First lesson.Expect everyone you meet to be an a$$hole. Then if they prove you wrong, it is rewarding. If not,you won't be very disappointed. You will find that the rewarding part does not happen often.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Glad to see that they kept the 1949 and older exemption.

I do not have a hunter safety card, but took the course with my oldest son and then became a certified instructor in Washington State and taught my two younger sons along with others.

But I have no desire to pay $25.00 to take an on-line test.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Still working on that cantankerous moniker. Wife thinks I getting too close. grin

I am open to mentoring or tutoring if needed.

First lesson.Expect everyone you meet to be an a$$hole. Then if they prove you wrong, it is rewarding. If not,you won't be very disappointed. You will find that the rewarding part does not happen often.

laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As a 10 year HS instructor, I would be more than willing to help out our older campfire brothers. Just say the word. Nearly all states have reciprocity

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I got mine years ago when KY first began requiring one even though I was exempt because of age. I actually think this is a very good idea in a day when a large % of young people are raised by urbanites and or single mothers who may or may not have exposed them to firearms and training. Actually I wouldn't oppose owning a hunter safety or firearms safety card before being eligible to purchase or own a firearm.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bangeye

I wouldn't oppose owning a hunter safety or firearms safety card before being eligible to purchase or own a firearm.

The right to own a firearm has nothing to do with hunting. Talk to people in IL that have to have a FOIDs card before they can purchase a firearm and see how they feel about that and then check how many people are murdered in Chicago every day

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
True but if it makes you feel better call it a firearms safety card but I'm just saying it isn't a bad idea to have someone learn a bit about firearm safety before selling them a firearm.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by sbhooper
If you are a fool at 50, that stupid test will not change that.

You might just learn a few tips that change the way you do things, or one or two that might just save your ass.

The only real fools are the ones that don't think there's anything else for them to learn.

I'm not saying that I couldn't learn something and I agree that there is good info in these classes, especially for young hunters or someone who hasn't spent very much time in the woods.

About 35 years ago I sat in one of the classes with my son. The instructor for that portion of the class wasn't as well trained as he should have been. I remember several things that he taught that were wrong. Like when he told the kids that a .308 was larger than a .30-06 because 8 was larger than 6. I had a little discussion with him after the class.

Having just turned 70, I guess I'm entitled to one of Saddlesore's "Cantankerous SOB cards. I started hunting deer in Colorado in 1965 and have hunted almost every year since in a half dozen states along with multiple hunts in Africa, Canada, and New Zealand without having ever taken a Hunter Education Class.

Then a few years ago I was looking into a hunt in Hawaii, where they require everyone to have a Hunters Ed certificate. So I found an on line Hunter Education Class, and without reading the class material, I just took the test, aced it, paid the fee, and a couple weeks later got a certificate in the mail.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by buffybr
About 35 years ago I sat in one of the classes with my son. The instructor for that portion of the class wasn't as well trained as he should have been. I remember several things that he taught that were wrong.....I had a little discussion with him after the class.

Why, the nerve of that guy. You know what really would've taught him a lesson?

If you'd signed up and volunteered your time to teach the class so that kids like your son could get their cards and go hunting. Like he was doing.

That would've showed him.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Took the test in 1967 and had a hunters lic every year in ca. Lost my card with no proof as no computers at that time. To hunt Colorado 3 years ago one needed a physical copy of HST. Did an online course and finished up with a 4 hr class, oldest guy in class @58 . Proof now recorded with Ca F and G in case I lose my card again. All in all just several hrs of my life.
In Ca now you have to have a firearms safety card to purchase a long gun. $25.00 or have a hunting lic. Hand gun card $25.00 . Both renew every 5 years. Just another way to raise money no doubt.

Last edited by sidepass; 02/23/16.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
About 35 years ago I sat in one of the classes with my son. The instructor for that portion of the class wasn't as well trained as he should have been. I remember several things that he taught that were wrong.....I had a little discussion with him after the class.

Why, the nerve of that guy. You know what really would've taught him a lesson?

If you'd signed up and volunteered your time to teach the class so that kids like your son could get their cards and go hunting. Like he was doing.

That would've showed him.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated him volunteering his time and teaching the class. My concern was the mis-information or wrong information that he was telling the class.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't get me wrong,

Don't believe I did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took hunter safety as a kid in Wyoming, even though I made the year cut. Took it again with my son a few years ago.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same here, took 3 young ones not to long ago to class. I thought may as well go through myself, since I had to keep an eye on them anyway.

I kinda wanted to get in the modern system anyway. I have an old card from MI, which could of worked for most.

I may of learned a thing or two. Some crazy accidents out there. If one just followed the basic safety rules they wouldn't happen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got my hunter safety card years ago and verified. Then went with my kids. After that I went with grand-kids.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What's it take to join the Cantankerous SOB club? I'm a card-carrying member of the Grouchy Old Bastards club and this one sounds right up my alley.

Last edited by tmax264; 03/30/16.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've taken Hunters Education in 2 states. Once as an 11 year old kid, and twice as an adult with my children.

I could produce certificates of completion from both states, and to what avail? Still gotta take Colo's test if I want to hunt there.

I guess it's their state, and their rules.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.