Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Butch,

Not a book, but if you can find a copy of a video called, "This is my Alaska," I think you would enjoy it.

http://www.thisismyalaska.com/Pricing.asp

I'll do some digging when I get home for books.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks Bob,
I called and left a message. Evidently he doesn't do email

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim Rearden is outstanding in almost every case...

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...v=2&ie=UTF-8#q=jim%20rearden%20books

especially his two wolf books... and Shadows on the Koyukuk.

Just picked this one up and have heard lots of good things about it... have not read it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Gold-Adventure-Discovering-Northwest/product-reviews/0988977249

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rearden is excellent reading. I've also enjoyed the book Two in the Far North by Margaret Murray. Her, her husband and BIL made significant scientific contributions to Arctic research in the early 20th century. Margaret's book was a great glimpse into early life up north. From taking the steamer out of Seattle to her horse drawn sleigh memories it covered a lot of how difficult but rewarding life in the north is.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Man! I got some response on my thread.
Who do you recommend as an Alaskan writer.

You seem to be getting plenty to read right here!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was referring to the first guy. I misspelled his last name.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim Rearden has some good books.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Got a couple Rearden's coming to start.
Thanks

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We are reading some Reardens right now. Very good reading so far.

Need to look for his wolf books next I suppose...

Butch PM me for what I have here vs what you have coming, I can send you ours when we are both done....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jeff,
The 2 that I ordered were Alaska's 1st Bush Pilots and Wind on the Water.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 02/17/16.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just got in touch with Ms. Vivian Shebal to order their DVD. They are outside for the winter in Pennsylvania.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
"Alaska's Wolf Man" is superb, and not to be missed.
http://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-Wolf-Man-Wilderness-Adventures/dp/1575100479

Between 1915 and 1955 adventure-seeking Frank Glaser, a latter-day Far North Mountain Man, trekked across wilderness Alaska on foot, by wolf-dog team, and eventually, by airplane. In his career he was a market hunter, trapper, roadhouse owner, professional dog team musher, and federal predator agent. A naturalist at heart, he learned from personal observation the life secrets of moose, caribou, foxes, wolverines, mountain sheep, grizzly bears, and wolves-especially wolves.

A crack shot, self-sufficient, and wilderness wise, Glaser not only survived, but prospered in the far lonely places. Almost always alone, he survived many encounters with charging grizzly bears, some of which he had to shoot to keep from being mauled. He knew how to cope with 50 and 60 below zero temperatures, and more than once he plunged through river ice in extreme cold and survived only because of his woods know-how.

Frank Glaser was a legend in his own time, respected and admired for his skill as a woodsman and hunter by fellow sourdoughs, and by his many Eskimo friends.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Just got done with that one. Definitely among the best of the best Alaska redneck required reading books.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
"Alaska's Wolf Man" is superb, and not to be missed.
http://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-Wolf-Man-Wilderness-Adventures/dp/1575100479

Between 1915 and 1955 adventure-seeking Frank Glaser, a latter-day Far North Mountain Man, trekked across wilderness Alaska on foot, by wolf-dog team, and eventually, by airplane. In his career he was a market hunter, trapper, roadhouse owner, professional dog team musher, and federal predator agent. A naturalist at heart, he learned from personal observation the life secrets of moose, caribou, foxes, wolverines, mountain sheep, grizzly bears, and wolves-especially wolves.

A crack shot, self-sufficient, and wilderness wise, Glaser not only survived, but prospered in the far lonely places. Almost always alone, he survived many encounters with charging grizzly bears, some of which he had to shoot to keep from being mauled. He knew how to cope with 50 and 60 below zero temperatures, and more than once he plunged through river ice in extreme cold and survived only because of his woods know-how.

Frank Glaser was a legend in his own time, respected and admired for his skill as a woodsman and hunter by fellow sourdoughs, and by his many Eskimo friends.

I have that one.

Great read, amazing guy.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dick Proenekkes video and book, One Mans Wilderness are also very good, I watch his video anytime PBS broadcasts it.

The Quest for Dall Sheep by Jack Wilson is also another good one.

Oh yeah, Doogan and Russ are douchebags of the highest order.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Akbob5
IB, did I open a can of worms? Guess I don't understand what you meant...

Tony Russ got lucky one time and killed the P&Y world record sheep with a bow... he has a long history of being "special" as a guide. Clients having issues getting him out of the tent in the morning, etc...

Then there was the infamous Randy Ulmer incident which he wrote about in one of the bowhunting magazines. TR abandoned him when he was hunting a valley TR said was impossible, though everyone told him that was where the sheep were. Tony claims he took a vacation from guiding to write... his license information says he is not currently licensed... 2+2...

TR's books are even worse! He suggests spreading hamburger on waxed paper and letting it dry as his jerky recipe... mausers should be avoided as bear guns because they tend to jam, and plenty of other jewells.

Got lucky one time with a bow? He's killed a few sheep with a bow. He must know a thing or two...

I would love to bag on TR too, but gotta give the guy credit for what he's done....

Last edited by WDH; 02/17/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had killing a "few sheep" with a bow been enough to compare to the P&Y WR I would give it to you...

Getting in bow range with a compound bow is not that difficult, and was far easier even 20 years ago. I believe TR killed his big sheep before '90. The current population is probably 1/4 to 1/3 what it was then...

He was not hunting that specific sheep, but rather stumbled into him on the way out in a snowstorm. That chance encounter "made" him. It certainly was not his writing nor work ethic.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lynn Schooler is a great author too. His books Blue Bear, Walking Home and the Last Shot are quite worth the read.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Had killing a "few sheep" with a bow been enough to compare to the P&Y WR I would give it to you...

Getting in bow range with a compound bow is not that difficult, and was far easier even 20 years ago. I believe TR killed his big sheep before '90. The current population is probably 1/4 to 1/3 what it was then...

He was not hunting that specific sheep, but rather stumbled into him on the way out in a snowstorm. That chance encounter "made" him. It certainly was not his writing nor work ethic.

One could argue most guys wouldn't be out in that storm. Kinda goes against the soft imagine you're trying to paint of the guy. But I believe you. So feel free to post up your big sheep pics with a bow. Since it was so easy and you hunted the glory days let's see all those big full curls. One can assume since it was so easy back then and rifle in hand you must have an impressive collection of monster rams. Post them. No excuses!

You can live and hunt in the glory days but still finding big mature animals isn't easy. And record book ones are still rare. That's what makes them special.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll let TR's rep among those that know him, hunted with him, and dealt with his clients after the fact speak for itself.

I have no desire to compete with anyone over scores ever again. My success is good enough for me and would be for all but the tiniest fraction of trophy hunters.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.