Hop To
Page 48 of 111 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 110 111
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
10/4 Ingwe. I feel ya'.

Not tryin' to be a smart-azz, but I guess after years of hunting the leases I hunt it has become ingrained that if you need it and don't have it, whose fault is that.

My current lease is six miles in off the highway thru 3 bump gates. I'll usually stay 4 or 5 days. May not be another human around for 10 miles or so at any given time. Most times I do not see anyone from the time I go in to the time I go out. No cell service unless you make it to the top of the hill. So basically you are on your on. Although not Alaska or Death Valley, the portion of the hill country I hunt can do you in quickly if you screw up. Consequently I try to be prepared for the occasion.

One other item that could make the experience more enjoyable was if folks had GMRS radios. We use the 5 watt/36 milers. I will be bringing two. Folks can sit in their blind and yakk/touch base with their buds. Can be quite comical sometimes.

I do think this is going to be a hoot and definitely am looking forward to meeting all ya'll.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Am I missing it but I don't see a address or directions to the lodge.

I will put up a map in the next couple days. Goo that you mentioned it cause the main road has a bridge washed out on it and you gotta take a detour...I'll put it up soon!

I am fortunate to have the ace guide...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
One other essential piece of gear I'll be taking........

[Linked Image]

my cammo crocs!!!

Ya'

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crocs, camo or otherwise, is not something I'd normally associate with Randall #2's...

smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
R
mr. brown i have obtained some great hooch, i hope to share some with u

FJB
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Ready
Looking good Tom. Thanks for the work you undertook - just to scout for us. We really can not be thanking you enough.

This just in from my way to bed, turning down the radiator in my wifes office, me thinks:

"My, that field looks peculiar..."

Camera instead of canon:

WTF. Did you drive the 'cedes into office?

LOL. No, Ed. That field is just outside our house. Maybe I should have called it my wifes "study"?

BTW Joe and I will be on the same plane from Detroit for arrival at 5:50 pm on the 8th.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Good to know about the bridge. Smartphone maps didn't work very well in that part of Texas last year.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
After Tom's (Ingwe) report, I once again knew Dan did a fine job of selecting a place for the gathering.

Seems as though there might actually be some "hunting" to be done at this place. It's beginning to remind me of a place I hunted having possum turtle lake or something like that name associated to it. Those pigs were wary and quite cautious coming into the baits.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
In pig hunting talk, what is meant by "sounder"?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Poobs and GW, thanks for all of the info, I can use all the help I can get. smile

I ordered my XLR 250 light yesterday and has been shipped. Bobby, or anyone else, I've got my light from last year that you can use. It's got rings that will mount on a scope or you can take it apart and it'll hook onto a picatiny rail. It's not real great, but will get out at least 50 yards. Just let me know and I'll bring it. It's better than nothing.

Dan, it looks like a great place. Thank you for your hard work. I'm sure we'll have a great time.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by isaac
In pig hunting talk, what is meant by "sounder"?

A group of pigs, generally with young.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One word for everybody. Pigs often come in just past shooting light but not black dark. I managed to spook off two sounders by lighting them up at this time. Had I shown some patience and let them feed till black dark, they would have held still, which others did after dark....

Which is exactly why you want to shoot so they're DRT. Tracking in thick stuff after dark is difficult at best, if not virtually impossible most of the time.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by geedubya
10/4 Ingwe. I feel ya'.

Not tryin' to be a smart-azz, but I guess after years of hunting the leases I hunt it has become ingrained that if you need it and don't have it, whose fault is that.

My current lease is six miles in off the highway thru 3 bump gates. I'll usually stay 4 or 5 days. May not be another human around for 10 miles or so at any given time. Most times I do not see anyone from the time I go in to the time I go out. No cell service unless you make it to the top of the hill. So basically you are on your on.

Best,

GWB

I figured you was prepared for hunting on your own! I take less stuff in this situation cause if something goes haywire I can get on the phone and whine to somebody who cares. laugh
My day pack for heading up the hill in Montana has a lot more schitt in it!

Im not sure about March down there, but I may also be hauling a Thermacell into the blind....

If mosquitoes get me with the Zika virus and I get pregnant, I don't want to be giving birth to any more microcephalic Democrats...

Last edited by ingwe; 02/17/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
10/4 Ingwe. I feel ya'.

My current lease is six miles in off the highway thru 3 bump gates. I'll usually stay 4 or 5 days. May not be another human around for 10 miles or so at any given time. Most times I do not see anyone from the time I go in to the time I go out. No cell service unless you make it to the top of the hill. So basically you are on your on.

Best,

GWB

I figured you was prepared for hunting on your own! I take less stuff in this situation cause if something goes haywire I can get on the phone and whine to somebody who cares. laugh
My day pack for heading up the hill in Montana has a lot more schitt in it!

Im not sure about March down there, but I may also be hauling a Thermacell into the blind....

If mosquitoes get me with the Zika virus and I get pregnant, I don't want to be giving birth to any more microcephalic Democrats...

10/4

You can bet I'll have a thermacell with me......

and BTW,

I understand that if Bernie Sanders is elected it will make history as it will be the first time a jew moved into public housing after a black family left.
Ya'

GWB

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pool where Pat and I will be lounging in our leopard print Speedos. blush
[Linked Image]

This must be Pat;

[Linked Image]

Just sayin' !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Heading out to the Petting Zoo in a bit......

[Linked Image]

for four days of R & R

[Linked Image]

and maybe a bit of porker perforatin' if their movin' about.

See ya'll next week

JAPPFT,

GWB

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Poobah how was the cell service and internet?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cell service was good once you get there....theres a big dead spot south of Uvalde.... Internet I didn't try.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One other essential piece of gear I'll be taking........

[Linked Image]

my cammo crocs!!!

Ya'

GWB

GWB: If you bring your Randall, I'll bring mine..... grin

I don't have any crocs........

Last edited by ingwe; 02/18/16.

Page 48 of 111 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 110 111

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 2500HD, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 204guy, 56 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,506
Posts18,509,299
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.