Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
a 4 inch Nickel model 29.

I assume you meant 1970's to 80's vintage?

Yes. Mine would have been an 80's Model.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The first one.

As produced by the Great Western Arms Company? My research indicates that Great Western actually beat Smith & Wesson and Ruger to market with a .44 Mag. Granted, it wasn't by much, but bragging rights being what they are.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For me, the S&W 29/629.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had about 30 different ones over the years and the only one I have left is a...Mountain Gun. But it isn't something I would want to run full bore ammo in either.

To me the classiest .44 ever made was the 5" pre-29 that were produced for H. H. Harris Company of Chicago in the late 1950s...but those now bring over $3K when you can even find them....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
The first one.

As produced by the Great Western Arms Company? My research indicates that Great Western actually beat Smith & Wesson and Ruger to market with a .44 Mag. Granted, it wasn't by much, but bragging rights being what they are.

Wrong

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The first one.

That's interesting. How did you find that out? John Lachuck made some claims in the 90's about the first 44 Mags...how they were developed, etc. It didn't all coincide with Keith's memories or campfire lore.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All of them are good, but for me and what I want to use one for, my Stainless SBH Bisley Hunter is about as good as it gets!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first one.

Wrong

I have researched it thoroughly, have written and published my findings as well. There's still some debate whether Great Western or Smith actually shipped first, but it is intriguing. I actually believe Smith was first, but GW was nipping at their heals. Ruger made a rather heroic effort considering they had a lot less development time than Smith & Wesson and despite their efforts, shipped after Smith and GW. Industrial espionage was alive and well!

Considering that the .44 Mag was proprietary -- between S&W and Remington, there must have been some major leaks considering it turned into an arms race.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey guys, On a different note how strong is a Colt anaconda compared to a 629 or redhawk or dan wesson?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut
4 inch 629 is a thing of beauty.

yes they are smile
[Linked Image]

Sam......

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Schitt...I like 'em all. Probably my 8 3/8 629 Classic DX is my favorite deer rifle...awfully tempted to say the best .44 magnum is one of my 657's....just sayin'...

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]
Yea, I know it shoots a little low and to the right.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a Uberti prototype, serial number 62-17845, made in the summer of 1995. It was hand crafted by a carefully selected team of the finest and most experienced gunsmiths from FN Belgium, Beretta and a few other small custom shops in Italy. It had a super extra special match grade barrel and all dimensions were checked and rechecked to be within 1/100000" (one one hundred thousandth of an inch) of specifications.

It was The Best 44 Magnum Revolver ever made.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
S&W's are great but their hamstrung due to S&W simply adapting an existing design to too much cartridge. I have S&W .44's and they are wonderful but they're unable to withstand the cartridge loaded to its potential. I treat them like slightly stronger .44Spl's. For that reason alone, I consider the Ruger single action "better".

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'd throw out all single actions because everything considered, double action is better.

That's a matter of opinion and highly debatable.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Best ever?

>>> http://f.tqn.com/y/hunting/1/S/n/V/dan-wesson-model-44-11w.jpg <<<

Dan Wesson is certainly one of.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My research indicates that Great Western actually beat Smith & Wesson and Ruger to market with a .44 Mag. Granted, it wasn't by much, but bragging rights being what they are.

I actually believe Smith was first, but GW was nipping at their heals.

You realize that you contradicted yourself here?

As to industrial espionage, if I remember the story right, supposedly Ruger scored some spent casings from the trash at either Remington or Smith and Wesson and crafted their first revolvers around them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey guys, On a different note how strong is a Colt anaconda compared to a 629 or redhawk or dan wesson?
IMO, about the same if you're talking current 629's. You can throw the 629's without the endurance package out as being weaker. Endurance enhancements are found generally on -4 or newer guns. Some -3's...

Of double action .44 Mag's in the brands mentioned, the Super Redhawk would be strongest, followed by the others with insignificant differences in strength amongst current offerings.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And FWIW, when I made my first post I meant the Redhawk and not the Super Redhawk. The Super Redhawk is significantly stronger while not nearly as practical IMO. I would take the Redhawk any day over the Super Redhawk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pre-lock, Pre-MIM S&W M629

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
My research indicates that Great Western actually beat Smith & Wesson and Ruger to market with a .44 Mag. Granted, it wasn't by much, but bragging rights being what they are.

I actually believe Smith was first, but GW was nipping at their heals.

You realize that you contradicted yourself here?

As to industrial espionage, if I remember the story right, supposedly Ruger scored some spent casings from the trash at either Remington or Smith and Wesson and crafted their first revolvers around them.

Yes I do. Just stirring the pot a bit. It was an interesting era with lots of intrigue. The legend goes that in the winter of 1955/56 with a Ruger employee giving William B. Ruger a number of once-fired, unmarked cases, claiming to have found them in the dumpster of a local scrap yard. Bill Ruger’s curiosity was aroused enough to delve into a little detective work. His investigation wound him up in the office of Remington’s Dewey Godfrey, where with a little prodding he learned of the super-secret new project they were conducting in conjunction with Smith & Wesson. Bill Ruger was obviously a persuasive fellow as he left Godfrey’s office with enough specifications and technical details to start Ruger’s ball rolling in the new realm of super revolvers.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 760 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.