Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ah yes, the Rez Life.

Conkins store out on Nameless Road, I thought I heard banjos when at the ajacent tire repair store.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Point Hope, AK. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Ed

Tetlin AK

It ain't for everybody but my redneck roots serve me well upon occasion

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A little BCP several kilometers East of Khowst Afghanistan. It was about a Km. from the Pakistan/Afghanistan border and every once and a while the neighbors got a little noisy.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the 90s I used to drive through a little wide spot on a mountain road. It was called Rafter, TN. I remember one group of shacks with the same last name on all the mailboxes. There were fighting roosters and hounds tied out all along the road, trash and garbage literally flowing out the doors of the shacks and three filthy kids playing in the open trunk of a rusted out 55 Chevy that was also full of trash. It was the embodiment of the hillbilly stereotype.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 02/18/16.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Spent a couple of nights at the best hotel in Ulan Batur, Mongolia on the way to a Maral Stag hunt in 1992. We were told to never leave the building because we might not be seen or heard from again. All of the hotel room doors had pry marks on them.

We were allowed to take our hunting rifles to our rooms, and it was a comfort to have the Weatherby handy.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/18/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is always Ingomar, Montana. Nothing around for hundreds of miles and here is a little bar/cafe with the toilet still outside. Everything from booze to Chicken fried steak and T-bones as well as sheepherder Hors d'oeuvres...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Soviet Nuclear test site in Kazakhstan

Amchitka Island , Ak

Enewetok Atoll, Marshall Islands

In 1988 I was in both Moscow, USSR and Peshawar, Pakistan and found the accomadations and general level of cleanliness better in Peshawar.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Covelo Indian Reservation back in the 70-80's had the rep of being a bad place to be after nightfall if you weren't from there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the early seventies, while working at the rocket test lab at Edwards AFB, I stayed for six weeks in Boron,CA.
Terminal boredom, good thing I was drinking a lot back then. I was replacing a guy that was fired and had to stay until a replacement was hired.
Was never so glad to get home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
Ah yes, the Rez Life.

Conkins store out on Nameless Road, I thought I heard banjos when at the ajacent tire repair store.

[Linked Image]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Point Hope, AK. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Ed

North Fork Lake, I have no clue where its at, other than an hour from Aniak and we never saw another person for a week until we were picked up again.

I love trips like that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
shaman,

I ran into a couple of the hostile places like you described in Kentucky in south eastern Ohio some years ago.

We were out just driving around the more remote parts of the state, and as usual, if I see some little side road, I turn down it to see "where it goes". We ended up in some small group of houses at what appeared to be the end of the road, and amid some very hostile people. I couldn't turn around and get out of there fast enough !

Another time, I was looking for access to some Mead Corp. property that was open to the public for hunting, etc, and turned into a little one lane gravel road that the map showed as ending at the Mead land. I ended up in some guys little farmyard just short of the Mead property, and with a hostile owner. I beat a hasty retreat from that one also.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In the US, Elk City Oregon is one of my favorites. The store/bar/only business in town complete with dogs roaming the store, and a pot belly stove for heat in middle of isle "2" (ok, there was only two isles). The "bar" was next to the beer cooler and consisted of a cheap table and four chairs. To order at the bar you just grabbed a beer from the cooler, kinda self service bar. There was only 3-4 houses in town, but they did have a nice driftboat launch laugh

That's my kinda town laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I had coffee in Smithville, Arkansas a few years back.
I spent a week in Bemidji one day, nice town.

Yourself?

Bayonne, New Jersey

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Soviet Nuclear test site in Kazakhstan

Amchitka Island , Ak

Enewetok Atoll, Marshall Islands

In 1988 I was in both Moscow, USSR and Peshawar, Pakistan and found the accomadations and general level of cleanliness better in Peshawar.

mike r

You really haven't seen anything if you didn't get the chance to see Russia just after the wall came down. We went on a flyfishing expedition to the Kola Peninsula, stopping first in Murmansk to get a good look at what we had been afraid of during the cold war.

That country was third world at best, even in the big cities. We were out on the Ponoy River with the crudest of Russian technology and dropped off at a camp that even a GPS couldn't find. This is your best look at a typical Aeropflat helicopter. Crashlandings were a daily routine...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coos Bay OR

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by speedsixman
shaman,

I ran into a couple of the hostile places like you described in Kentucky in south eastern Ohio some years ago.

We were out just driving around the more remote parts of the state, and as usual, if I see some little side road, I turn down it to see "where it goes". We ended up in some small group of houses at what appeared to be the end of the road, and amid some very hostile people. I couldn't turn around and get out of there fast enough !

Another time, I was looking for access to some Mead Corp. property that was open to the public for hunting, etc, and turned into a little one lane gravel road that the map showed as ending at the Mead land. I ended up in some guys little farmyard just short of the Mead property, and with a hostile owner. I beat a hasty retreat from that one also.

Myron

I live at the end of a long road that goes way back in the sticks. Anyone who comes down that end of the road is either coming to see me, or they're lost or drunk or both.

I had this mean looking Shepard dog who was actually just a sweetheart, but he looked and sounded like death on 4 legs. My gag was to have strangers come down the road and then let the dog out, and then I'd come running out the door yelling in German for the dog to heel.

Of course, I'd never taught the dog a word of German, so he'd go straight for the vehicle, barking his head off, trying to get someone to pet him.. The occupants would see a mad dog and a German coming at them, and they'd burn rubber trying to get out of there.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Sprague, Manitoba

Sitting in the "bar" listening to some locals talking about the U.S. and the "leader of the bush people" telling the others that "in the U.S., if you have enough money in your checking account, you don't need car insurance. crazy

Also, somewhere in between Knoxville, TN and the Smoky's there was a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood nailed to a post alongside the road and in crude letters written in red spray paint it said:

"BOBS BOBAQ" with an arrow pointing down a two track into the woods. Now I'm sure 'ol Bob could BBQ with the best of 'em but it kinda made ya wonder where he got the meat... grin

Last edited by Rooster7; 02/18/16.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any of several Sioux Rez in SD and parts of the Crow Rez in MT. It's like an alternate universe.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Coos Bay OR

You live a sheltered life if you think coos bay is backwater.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 16,376 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,158
Posts18,542,764
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.