Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
That's too bad. I'll stick with my Chevrolet then. 320K and still going.
You better buy a LOTTO ticket then, TODAY!

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Best vehicle I have EVER owned.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by keystoneben
How much is a new semi plain Jane 350, diesel, dually anyway?

Our local dealer has a couple cab/chassis F350's w/duals and they are $41-43k. But that is with a gas engine, diesel will add about $8k to the price.

That's about right. Friends of mine last spring bought 3 - 2015 6.7L for their business.

From what they told me if you buy a cab/chassis diesel, it's factory detuned and there is no way to 'turn them up'. Ford installed a factory delete option since they (Ford) cant be sure of final usage.

He went over yonder way
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Maybe not too bad! From rumors I have heard, a replacement engine for my 2014 GT500 Shelby is running around $32,000!! I don't intend to find out for sure if I can help it! Russ

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rjpeacock
Maybe not too bad! From rumors I have heard, a replacement engine for my 2014 GT500 Shelby is running around $32,000!! I don't intend to find out for sure if I can help it! Russ

The carbon fiber rims on the new GT350R's are going for 30,000 a set of 4 I heard.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by rjpeacock

The carbon fiber rims on the new GT350R's are going for 30,000 a set of 4 I heard.

Carbon fiber wheels,eh? Reminds me of a story my ex-BIL told me. He and his brother and another guy were involved in Rally racing in the early 80's and rubbed elbows with guys like Millen, Guy Light and some other then hotshots.

He told me that one of the racers was trying out a set of composite wheels during a race and after running the first 4 stages out of 8 and finally getting to service the vehicle, they pulled the wheels in favor of metal wheels. The problem? Too much brake fade as the composite wheels did practically nothing to conduct heat away from the brake discs.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
At best you'll get a reman. long block, components will be the same as you've got now. Don't know much about the Ford diesel whether they are lined, if so they'd mostly just build in frame.

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dealerships in general are thieves when it comes to service. I got rear ended and knocked into the car in front of me lightly. The air bag light came on and i knew the sensor was shot cause they are terrible on my truck. I have put a couple on it already. Dealership calls and says the impact didnt make it go bad just weather. Told me they would put a new one on for $450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I literally laughed on the phone at the guy. I told him that was straight robbery because I can buy the sensors all day for $49 and it takes me 15 minutes maybe to change. Thats including getting the tools out and putting them back away. U know what the next thing he said was....................... "Well how much are u willing to pay?"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
Tundra.....J-u-n-k smirk
yup! City truck's... Keep them in the city😀

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by k20350
Dealerships in general are thieves when it comes to service. I got rear ended and knocked into the car in front of me lightly. The air bag light came on and i knew the sensor was shot cause they are terrible on my truck. I have put a couple on it already. Dealership calls and says the impact didnt make it go bad just weather. Told me they would put a new one on for $450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I literally laughed on the phone at the guy. I told him that was straight robbery because I can buy the sensors all day for $49 and it takes me 15 minutes maybe to change. Thats including getting the tools out and putting them back away. U know what the next thing he said was....................... "Well how much are u willing to pay?"

We have a pretty solid relationship with a semi local dodge dealer. Their service department is pretty friendly, and helpful. They sell us parts at a discount, give advice on work for a truck they didn't even sell us. Hard to complain at all.

On the other hand the local Dodge dealer is nicknamed "the demon". It's a super dealer, probably have more than 100 25,35,45,5500's in stock. They'll do anything to beat someelses price, and transfer cars from other dealers lots so you have to buy it from them.

My buddy bought a 4500 from them last spring. It didn't come with a brake controller, he went back to get one they wanted North of $400 and you had to use their computers for the install. My dad called the quality dealer and got one for -$100 and no computer needed.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Anybody remember the (I think it was) 89 to 92 Chevy big blocks with the bad rods... friend went though 3 engines within 4 years and under 80k in mileage, before giving it up on one of their one ton dually's.

Sometimes is just plain bad designs!

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by keystoneben
How much is a new semi plain Jane 350, diesel, dually anyway?

Our local dealer has a couple cab/chassis F350's w/duals and they are $41-43k. But that is with a gas engine, diesel will add about $8k to the price.

That's about right. Friends of mine last spring bought 3 - 2015 6.7L for their business.

From what they told me if you buy a cab/chassis diesel, it's factory detuned and there is no way to 'turn them up'. Ford installed a factory delete option since they (Ford) cant be sure of final usage.

Heeler, I've heard the same thing but wasn't sure about turning the engine up.

Sucks if you can't.

We bought our '11 used and I would guess it was ordered as cab/chassis. As far as 'work' pickups go it was a creampuff when we bought, 55k miles on it now. Power-wise it's enough but certainly not a beast, probably the low tune package.

Pulls a loaded 20' stock trailer fine around the hills here.

We had a 6.4 that was turned way up and it was overkill, transmission killer. Awesome take-off but hard on things.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After 100 years you'd think they'd have the basics mastered huh?

LOL
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Ford diesels are piles of [bleep].

So far ford has produced the longest running engines by far of any vehicles we've ever had.

7.3 has only 150K on it though, suspect it'll go quite a bit further...

V6 in an explorer has likely over 350K miles.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You are talking to a guy (OP) that has his nails manicured and pays the dealership to change his oil.
Um, there's usually a reason for that.. To maintain warranty, the owner usually must keep all records or receipts of timely oil changes and other service.. Doing it at the dealership makes it nearly impossible for Ford (or any manufacturer) to deny coverage..

FWIW, I have the dealer change mine too - for that very reason - but I buy the oil (Mobil-1 diesel synthetic, and I can buy it tons cheaper than what they wanna charge) and just have them do the filter and change..but now it's on their system that it was done on "X" day and with "X" miles. This is even more important once the factory warranty's up and it goes onto the ESP coverage..

15+ years in the car biz taught me a lot about what to expect or avoid re: repair/warranty issues.

Never had to go to warranty, but keep my own records of changes... including receipts of oil/filters etc...

Toyota told Carolyn recently that it was teh 3rd time they'd mentioned some things and they HAD to get done now... She said hmm, my husband did such at home... and the service manager went back to the mechanic and asked.... had he looked even... caught em in a big lie... I'd done everything but the brakes and the brakes still have about 60% of the linings but its on my list....my throttle body cleaning was likely even better than anything they'd charge for.

If I had to claim warranty I'd welcome a stealership to speak to my attorney.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Don't think its the same today, but use to be that extended warranties were covered by the manufacturer instead of the dealer, and the dealers were glad to fleece the manufacturer to get the business.

Don't think any of it effects the manufacturer today in the same way.

Phil

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rost495

So far ford has produced the longest running engines by far of any vehicles we've ever had.

The 7.3 was not made by Ford. It was made by International and was widely considered the best diesel ever put in a Ford. Ford manufactured diesel engines started with the 6.0, then the 6/.4 and lastly the 6.7. There have been quite a few "issues" with the Ford produced diesels. Just do an internet search and you can read lots of them.

The V-6 in the Explorer line has been a very reliable and long lasting engine.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Originally Posted by rost495

The 7.3 was not made by Ford. It was made by International and was widely considered the best diesel ever put in a Ford. Ford manufactured diesel engines started with the 6.0, then the 6/.4 and lastly the 6.7. There have been quite a few "issues" with the Ford produced diesels. Just do an internet search and you can read lots of them.

The V-6 in the Explorer line has been a very reliable and long lasting engine.

The 6.0 and the 6.4 were both Navistar as well.

Wasn't until the 6.7 that Ford went complete in house on their diesels. 2010 IIRC and due to the issues Navistar made for Ford with the 6.0

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And from what I heard Navistar had a good original 6.0 design but Ford(and the retarded Federal regs) required some bullchit that caused problems.
Same thing with the 6.4, it cleans on two rear cylinders, gets hot as hell and can cause issues?

I don't remember all the specifics.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm about dieseled out myself. I had a 2011 6.7 as well and had the " shudder issue" so the dealership replaced the tq at 18k miles and it didn't fix the shudder. I traded it for a 14 Silverado 2500 snd still live in fear of the Bosch fuel pump. Both Ford and GM continue with issues. I selling the camper and going back to a gas 1/2 ton. Good luck.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.