-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uncertain, Tx. Took the wife fishing up there near Lake Caddo, and the fisherman's cabins had doors that didn't latch. I don't mean lock, I mean, they didn't latch smile She vehemently objected, so we stayed in the nearby Metropolis of Marshall.

Then there's the Yangtze river:

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akjeff
Little Diomede, AK tops my list. Have been to a number of "special" places in AK, but I've yet to see anything like it.

A fuel stop in Dakar Senegal, gave me the impression that it looked to be a bit of a [bleep] hole.

Jeff

Diomede is unique, that's for sure...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...but hardly scary/weird like some of the places we've probably been or seen described here. Good folks out there!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ross River,Yukon Territory - The bar was mostly drunk natives (First Nations Peoples} with a few white trash who were shacked up with some of the native gals. The bartender was behind a screened in area - you ordered, slid the money through a small opening and she slid a drink back.

My only reason for being in the place was because I was with a friend who knew quite a few of the locals and he felt that I needed to experience the "real" Yukon. We spent most of the evening there - Once was enough.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ltppowell
South Louisiana has some pretty isolated places.

laugh

You reckon...??

Some of those family trees don't branch a lot, either.

Researchers find those isolated populations rich in unique recessive genetic disorders. Not much outside blood...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Uncle's AF sent me to some really crappy places with two overseas deployments but my early years in the coal fields of Southern West Virginia were by far the worst experience as I reflect today..

The timeline was 1954 I was six just didn't realize how deplorable the little town of Maybeury was! [ that's right Maybeury not Mayberry as in the Andy Griffin show].

This Methodist church was my Dad's second charge after Seminary moving us from Neelys Bend Tennessee which was NE of Nashville to the Southern WV conference.

Maybeury was a typical coal town in those days folks barely scraping by for the necessities of life but nobody starved and all us kids had no clue how really poor we were.

The church provided Dad with a meager salary subsidized by furnishing the church parsonage [a company tract house built in the mid 30's] ,paid electric/water bills and all the coal for our winter heating needs. Summer brought fresh produce by parishioners,baked goods and gas cards for the local filling station.

Just a slice of my history in a different time and place to remember and relate to my children, grandchildren and future generations.

Always be thankful for the blessings God has granted, don't ever judge the poor or downtrodden as their shoes may have walked a thousand miles.

[Linked Image]

We lived in a row house similar to these built in 1939 by the coal Co.

[Linked Image]

The Company store before it was demolished.But where everyone shopped in those days.

[Linked Image]

Generally what I remember as a kid...dirt, soot and foul smelling air.

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
funny some of ya'll mentioned louisiana. i didn't want to offend any of our louisiana members but theres some places betwixt shreveport and baton rouge that seem like a different country. swamps with houses growing out of them on stilts.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Little Diomede, AK tops my list. Have been to a number of "special" places in AK, but I've yet to see anything like it.

A fuel stop in Dakar Senegal, gave me the impression that it looked to be a bit of a [bleep] hole.

Jeff

Diomede is unique, that's for sure...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...but hardly scary/weird like some of the places we've probably been or seen described here. Good folks out there!

Agreed. I didn't mean it in the scary weird way. More of the extremely remote/isolated kinda way. Have been to virtually every corner of our state, and have never been scared of any of the people. Big cities in the Lower 48 are another matter!

Thanks for the photos BTW!!

Jeff

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Tracks
In the early seventies, while working at the rocket test lab at Edwards AFB, I stayed for six weeks in Boron,CA.
Terminal boredom, good thing I was drinking a lot back then. I was replacing a guy that was fired and had to stay until a replacement was hired.
Was never so glad to get home.

I've spent a lot of time in Ridgecrest working projects out of China Lake and never felt a need to drive down to Boron. grin

I actually like Ridgecrest.
On my way home from a hunt with Greg W a few months ago, I went out of my way to drive thru Boron. I wanted to see where Pancho Barnes used to live.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well Flyer, you have me there. [Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Farming
In the early seventies, while working at the rocket test lab at Edwards AFB, I stayed for six weeks in Boron,CA.
Terminal boredom, good thing I was drinking a lot back then. I was replacing a guy that was fired and had to stay until a replacement was hired.

I've spent a lot of time in Ridgecrest working projects out of China Lake and never felt a need to drive down to Boron. grin

On my way home from a hunt with Greg W a few months ago, I went out of my way to drive thru Boron. I wanted to see where Pancho Barnes used to live.

mmm, gonna have to look that one up, Pancho Barnes. never heard of him..

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
Santa Elena is uptown compared to Mt. Judea, Arkansas circa 1985. Haven't been back since, but it was backward. miles

Miles,
I live not too far from Mt. Judea but I would have to say that Witts Spring is more backwater IMHO. Most backwater place I've been is desert along the Iraq-Iran border near a little town called Badra. Really slow going until an Iranian border jumper stepped on a land mine. He isn't half the man he used to be!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All the third world countries I've been in, including rural India and Nepal, nothing prepared me for Romania under communism (pre-1989). Of all the Soviet Block, only Albania was as bad. Russia wasn't anywhere near as bad...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
here's a large metropolis in N Cal.

Tionesta, CA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tionesta,_California

and the one it was named for:

Tionesta, PA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tionesta,_Pennsylvania

Yep, I've been to both and they mostly qualify as "backwater" types of places.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Got a call to do a small job at China Lake. When I signed in and identified the company I worked for, the lady at the desk asked me if I was with "the Oak Ridge group."
I wasn't, I was with another division, but that pretty well verified some things I was pretty sure of.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Flyboyflem---Great post and pics. An interesting look back in time when hard work and toil was normal.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
East St. Louis

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Point Hope, AK. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Ed

Try Stebbins... just a bit smaller but WAY more primitive... or Point Lay, about a third the size of Point Hope I would guess... and a bit special...

Or McCarthy about the time the Pilgrims moved in and the infamous mass shooting happened... lots of places more special than Point Hope... at least there you have some!

Been to Point Lay, just didn't spend any time there. grin

Too much time in Point Hope. Never made it to Stebbins. Dad and I hunted in around McCarthy before the Pipeline, so it was even lonelier.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Point Hope, AK. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Ed

Tetlin AK

It ain't for everybody but my redneck roots serve me well upon occasion

First time I spent the night in Tetlin was in the early 60's with my Dad on a bunny/ptarmigan hunting trip. We went back a number of times over the years. Definitely "backwater". laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by philgood80
Originally Posted by milespatton
Santa Elena is uptown compared to Mt. Judea, Arkansas circa 1985. Haven't been back since, but it was backward. miles

Miles,
I live not too far from Mt. Judea but I would have to say that Witts Spring is more backwater IMHO. Most backwater place I've been is desert along the Iraq-Iran border near a little town called Badra. Really slow going until an Iranian border jumper stepped on a land mine. He isn't half the man he used to be!

You fellas reminded me I spent a day or two at friends home in Altus, AR in the 70's. quite the backwater town then. Still only listed at 750 folks there.

Those places you mentioned seem awfully "rural" too.

Geno

PS, for those that don't recognize the name:
"Altus was the location for the first season of the television show The Simple Life, starring Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie."
from the wikipedia Altus AR page

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Agreed. I didn't mean it in the scary weird way. More of the extremely remote/isolated kinda way. Have been to virtually every corner of our state, and have never been scared of any of the people. Big cities in the Lower 48 are another matter!

Thanks for the photos BTW!!

Jeff

Jeff, meant to be clearer in not aligning you with that idea. I know many - like with the Stebbins, or Point Hope references- sometimes think some of these places are a bit "off". (And one can't totally overlook legends/stories...) But nearly always, people are only scary when they are a bit scared themselves....or inebriated, and scared/bold.

It was kind of funny (and eye-opening) one time after running the first 500 miles or so of the lower Yukon. My boat had the commercial fishing number painted on the side as required by law. However, instead of simply free-hand spraying the number as many village boats do, I stenciled the number neatly. To make matters worse, I had a VHF radio on board and the antennae erect. Out on the coast where we usually run our boats, nearly everyone (who isn't foolish) has an antennae and VHF on board. Not so upriver. Anyhow, I tried to converse with a fellow up around Anvik, and he really didn't want to say anything in response to my query. Finally he just asked,"Are you Fish and Game?" He was totally cool after I said "no". When I realized how he was looking at my boat, I knew I better lower the antennae to help avoid further communication difficulties. smile

Sometimes there are still lingering issues of distrust or initial uncertainty among various ethnic factions within the Native community however when they cross traditional boundaries.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 14,764 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,171
Posts18,542,986
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.