Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Backroads
Funny that some landowners try all hunting season to keep the elk in, and the public out.
Then cry for the FWP to keep the elk from eating their haystacks after the outfitting lease is up.

Couldn't be said any better.

Vore destroyed the Bitterroot. Then he got a promotion. Now he's set on destroying the whole state.

Quite honestly, a part of me hopes the FWP takes a good chunk out of the elk herd and both resident and non resident hunters respond by buying fewer licenses. That is the only thing that will get their attention at this point. Public comment is chirping birds to them.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The big problem, per usual, is that Montana's game department(s) is are ultimately controlled by politics.

"Too many" animals of whatever species has always meant too many for landowners to tolerate. However, one state legislator is an outfitter who managed to keep the shoulder season out of the game unit where he operates.

IMO, this is a real problem in all the states I've lived/hunted in. But the real problem is people don't get fully informed about their political candidates before they vote on them. And in most states, the F&G departments are overseen by a board of commissioners with overlapping terms that are appointed by different governors. So the professionals in the agency are consistently getting batted back and forth from one political end of the spectrum to the other.

The commission is appointed by Bullock, our democrat governor. Given the MT repubs in he legislature, things would be much much worse if they were in control. The sportsmen don't have a political party in MT right now.

I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This "shoulder season" is an absolute abortion. The state land gods want it all their own way, and the cowardly FWP caves in to these idiots time and time again. Elk make their land infinitely more valuable than normal ag prices, but by god they only want elk on their own terms. Couple reducing herd strength with stressing these same elk herds when they are most vulnerable (winter), and I see this as a recipe for disaster for public land hunters.

Unbelievable...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This has everything to do with Varmitguys very own Debby Barret (R). She was in the Montana House of Representatives back in 2003 and sponsored HB42. This bill mandated FWP to manage elk at of below objective numbers.

She is responsible for killing more elk then wolves, lions and giz combined.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
........ landowners try all hunting season to keep the elk in, and the public out.
Then cry for the FWP to keep the elk from eating their haystacks after the outfitting lease is up.

This is so true and so frustrating. I'm a strong believer in private property rights and feel a landowner can do what he wants with his land. They shouldn't, however, be allowed to have their cake and eat it to. FWP needs to tell them, "you want help, open your land" or chase/haze/scare the elk off your land yourself.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/18/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shrapnel,

I can tell you for a fact there were higher bull to cow ratios and a higher percentage of the elk population was found on public land in the 1960's than now.

These shoulder seasons are a joke and so is the MFWP.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
........ landowners try all hunting season to keep the elk in, and the public out.

This is so true and so frustrating. I'm a strong believer in private property rights and feel a landowner can do what he wants with his land. They shouldn't, however, be allowed to have their cake and eat it to. FWP needs to tell them, "you want help, open your land" or chase/haze/scare the elk off your land yourself.

While this may seem like a good idea, state law will not allow it. Because of poor management the legislature mandated FWP to kill elk In at least 44 HD's.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Shrapnel,

I can tell you for a fact there were higher bull to cow ratios and a higher percentage of the elk population was found on public land in the 1960's than now.

These shoulder seasons are a joke and so is the MFWP.

You are mistaken if you think I am supporting everything the FWP is doing in regards to wildlife in general and elk specifically. You are also mistaken if you don't realize that the elk population is much higher in Montana than it was in the1960's...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shrap needs to re read Buzz's post. Whiff!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Callnum needs to read Shrapnel's post...Whiff!

Buzz is taking %, I am talking total numbers...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't figure out how anybody can say there were more Elk anywhere in Montana in the 60's. I started hunting in 1957, and if you wanted to shoot an Elk you had better be ready to do some traveling. Then be prepared to come home empty handed. Now most residents can get an Elk just out of town. They are everywhere.
As long as some of the Elk are protected on private lands the herd will never quit growing.
I do know the FWP would rather not have all of the Elk to manage that they do now.

Ken

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Callnum needs to read Shrapnel's post...Whiff!

Buzz is taking %, I am talking total numbers...

Sharp's reading comprehension is not so good. Neither is his understanding of current elk populations and management goals.

Last edited by callnum; 02/18/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do know the FWP would rather not have all of the Elk to manage that they do now.

I believe that to be true too. Maybe they will have less hunters paying their bills too?

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 10Glocks, 44mc, 470Evans, 17 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,455
Posts18,507,976
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.