Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was looking at the Columbia wool bibs that are no longer made, but still available on the 'net. I'd probably choose the Columbia wool pants if I could find them, but they seem to be scarce.

I've never worn bibs for hunting and was wondering how they compare to wearing your general wool hunting pants. I'm thinking more late season here with temps below 40 degrees, snow, and stop and go type hunting. Is it easy to overheat in bibs when doing much moving?

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes,the bibs are certainly warmer .I think it is because they cover up your body core, then your coat covers the upper part of the bibs.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
IMHO, yes.

I wear them quite a bit in Virginia for stand hunting, where the extra layer on the upper body helps with tree sitting.

Not how you are hunting - tracking, but when I'm on the ground going in or out, it's very easy to get overheated. Taking a jacket off helps, but I haven't had much luck in venting the bibs once I've reached the point of needing to.

If you are taking your time, it may be OK, but it will get warm if you are dragging or carrying one out. Even with the jacket off, my core is over what I need on in bibs. I've used Sitka, Rocky, Russell, all have been pretty warm on the move, more than I needed them to be.

YMMV

Last edited by AH64guy; 02/19/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Way too warm for me here in MN unless I'm sitting in a stand, and even then I pack them in and out in my day pack.

LDB Offline
They're pretty warm, they are also rather inconvenient should you need to use the outhouse... I prefer pants, look up Johnson Woolen Mills in Vermont, they are on line.

Better to do it when you're young so you can talk about it when you're too old than talk about it when you're young and do it when you're too old.

www.clarkforkoutfitters.com
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have used them for over 20 years in one sort or another.
Most recent are a pair of Cabela's Outfitter Wools (sans water proofing for better breathe ability).
I set my base layers (typically wool long johns, wool shirt) under them...and then layer beyond that to conditions.
Always try to anticipate when I might overheat(climbing, hauling, etc) and adjust layers as needed. Usually walk out a little cool to start and then adjust if needed. Very seldom have a problem when I pay attention. Comfort is easier to maintain if you never get sweaty to begin with.
For dry but windy/cold I sometimes add a pair of tight knit nylon training pants under.
For wet, high wind, or very cold (or combinations thereof) I have a pair of well insulated goretex bibs...also from Cabelas.
I like the freedom of movement without the plumber's butt thing when your shirt/jacket rides up(for small critters,cold air and/or snow), and wide temperature range of comfort they provide.
They work well in my experience.
Good luck.
Joe

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Yes,the bibs are certainly warmer .I think it is because they cover up your body core, then your coat covers the upper part of the bibs.

Same here but NOT wool bibs.

Some yrs back I QUIT wearing 'coverall' hunting clothes because you have to UNcover your upper torso. I went to Bib overalls & a coat.

When nature calls you can unhook the bibs and drop 'em. When your bizzness is completed you can QUICKLY take the coat off and re-attach the bibs and put the coat back on.

I'll never go back to Cover alls. just for that reason.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Depends on what kind of bibs,what they are made of,and how cold it is. I almost died in Manitoba with Ravenwear bibs when the weather warmed unexpectedly.

OTOH, SI bibs have been great in Sask and Alberta because it was below zero. And Filson bibs are not bad at all, since the wool is lighter weight than SI and these polar synthetics you see around today.

It got cold and snowy in Wyoming one year, and I froze my arse off. I drove from Medicine Bow to Laramie for a set of Malones and that solved the problem.

Depends on what you're doing and how cold it is.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info Gents. I'm thinking the bibs might be a bit warm for my needs from the sounds of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try a Filson wool vest instead. If your pants are roomy, you can tuck the vest inside the waistband and put suspenders over the whole deal. The extra fabric covers your back and shoulders and adds pockets. The vest can be removed and stowed if it gets too warm, or you can roll up your coat and lash it to your pack, freeing up your arms a bit. The Tall sizes go further down your back.

Layers, layers, layers.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/20/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I especially enjoy the 82 trick moves needed to take a shiet whilst wearing them.

Even if you are successful it getting them off in time when Montezuma's revenge hits, you still have a 50/50 chance that corn studded squirt made it someplace you didn't intend.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I especially enjoy the 82 trick moves needed to take a shiet whilst wearing them.

Even if you are successful it getting them off in time when Montezuma's revenge hits, you still have a 50/50 chance that corn studded squirt made it someplace you didn't intend.

That actually was one thing I thought about. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend of a friend shucked his camo coveralls to answer the call. When he pulled them back up and pulled the hood over his head..... you guessed it!

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Scott - tell us about the 82 tricks.

ALL you have to do is PULL the material forward between your legs.

SHEESH !!!

Been using BIB overalls for yrs.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a fan when stand hunting. They keep the wind from blowing up your backside.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jwall

SHEESH !!!

Jerry

I'm sure Arkansas folks have far more experience shieting outside.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

SHEESH !!!

Jerry

I'm sure Arkansas folks have far more experience shieting outside.

I just know that everybody in Ark is not mentally handicapped.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A man that speaks from experience should be heard. The back flap and straps usually help keep last nights Redhook and bratwurst from running downhill.

οΏ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.οΏ½ οΏ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This thread took a turn for the worse.
Bibs are warmer and great for stand hunting. If you get too warm you can drop the top portion if they have a belt. Coveralls are even warmer but due to some of the points mentioned I will take the bibs anytime.

I think all Red Necks should be required to wear them just for the plumbers cleavage issue alone. Especially if they are wearing a leopard print thong.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't worn bibs for hunting but I've worn them for working in the cold. They're too much of a PIA for hunting. They can get too hot while exercising and as said before, answering natures call is a major problem when you have to strip from the top down.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 51 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,622
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.