Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by brucebruce
I see VT every day as I live on the west side of champlain, Read every post on this thread and yes you are right deer are not plentaful in Vermont. But I bet if you can kill a deer up here every year you can kill a deer anywhere in the USA. I can cross the road and walk for 20 miles without crossing another road (priceless) and there are deer It's been 30 years since I haven't shot one and That because I was in Korea

My comments have been based on living/hunting in both low density and high density deer environments. I can only speak for myself, but I would rather see a bunch of deer and have the opportunity to shoot 2 buck and a virtually unlimited number of antlerless deer than have the opportunity to only shoot 1 deer and seldom see even a dozen legal deer during an entire season. If I still lived in New England, I'd hunt New England style, but I never want to live in New England again and I certainly wouldn't travel there to hunt, unless the hunting was a venue for social interaction with friends.

Your 100% success rate is exceptional! Heck, with a perfect score in a low density environment you'd be famous if you could get Bryce Towsley to write a book about you and your technique, maybe the next Larry Benoit.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see VT every day as I live on the west side of champlain, Read every post on this thread and yes you are right deer are not plentaful in Vermont. But I bet if you can kill a deer up here every year you can kill a deer anywhere in the USA. I can cross the road and walk for 20 miles without crossing another road (priceless) and there are deer It's been 30 years since I haven't shot one and That because I was in Korea

I've been to Ticonderoga and Crown Point. Lovely area.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Your reply sounds a bit sarcastic. I hunt alot of hours to get a deer and really don't care if anyone believes me or not. Hell I know quite of few hunters that get a deer every year up this way and are better hunters then me. My point of my post is you have room to roam and put in your time good things happen. Telling someone that a hunting experience such as Big woods hunting is a waste of time is wrong. By the way I'd hunt here every year if I was forced away for work. There's a difference from being a hunter and someone that just shoots a deer. Remember that the next time your in your tree stand with a cell phone in your pocket so you can find your way home.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks Mike we like it. Good people are always welcome

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your reply sounds a bit sarcastic. I hunt alot of hours to get a deer and really don't care if anyone believes me or not. Hell I know quite of few hunters that get a deer every year up this way and are better hunters then me. My point of my post is you have room to roam and put in your time good things happen. Telling someone that a hunting experience such as Big woods hunting is a waste of time is wrong. By the way I'd hunt here every year if I was forced away for work. There's a difference from being a hunter and someone that just shoots a deer. Remember that the next time your in your tree stand with a cell phone in your pocket so you can find your way home.

Some good words here. While my wife and I are looking forward to retiring in NH and I know the challenges that hunting deer up there will be, I also have the pleasure of hunting the family place in KY with a few more deer. I am certainly looking forward to both.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have been hunting the woodstock , bridgewater , killington and chittenden areas for over 40 years. This is just couple of towns due west of hartford. The deer are there and you have to work for them. If you have 500 acres of private land hunt it and have a good time. If you want bigger places i can point a couple out for you. Dont listen to seafire's bullshit stories they are all nonsense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I agree, that there is a difference between hunting deer and shooting deer.

Not sarcastic in the least. Based the data provided by the State F&G people, a guy who tags a legal deer every year in ME/NH/VT or the Adirondacks of NY is the rare exception, falling to the far right in a normal distribution curve, and is either an exceptional hunter or exceptionally lucky. Maybe even a little of both.

Sitting in a tree stand with a smart phone, a set of ear buds, a good play list, and a good safety harness isn't a bad way to spend a day afield. I like to stalk/still-hunt deer, as it is a vestige of having learned how to hunt in ME/NH/VT, but I can see and shoot far more deer from fixed stands than from stalking.

Or so it seems to me.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The difference is our season is about 60 day's long including muzzle loader You can Quote stat's all you want but I live here and someone can come here and have a good experience hunting for a week. Hell you can shoot three deer with a gun in my area including muzzle loader.

Last edited by brucebruce; 02/19/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The difference is our season is about 60 day's long including muzzle loader You can Quote stat's all you want but I live here and someone can come here and have a good experience hunting for a week. Hell you can shoot three deer with a gun in my area including muzzle loader.

I generally buy tags in Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and South Dakota. Since I'm a Nebraska resident, I always buy my allotment of 2 buck tags and generally buy enough antler-less tags to allow for shooting 8 to 10 antler-less deer. There are 3 different seasons that allow the use of CF firearms; a 9 day early antlerless season in October, a 9 day general season in November, and a variable length, 15 to 20 day, season in December and January. I don't care to hunt with a muzzle loader, but if I did, I could hunt the seasons choice and river antler-less seasons, plus the month of December.

What area can you shoot 3 deer in ME/NE/VT or the Adirondacks?

Stats are stats. If the data being analyzed is correct, running an analysis to generate a variety of outcomes is easy. There has been more than enough data collected over a long enough period of time to generate output that is an accurate reflection of what has happened and an accurate predictor of what is likely to happen.

A person visiting Vermont around Thanksgiving can have a good experience doing a lot of things, including the act/process of hunting, but if punching a tag is a desired outcome, the probability is on the left/low side of the curve.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Adirondacks have an incredibly long rifle season. I'd even like my chances of getting on a buck each year. And I've strongly considered moving to Crown Point.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
5 G right on the Vermont border for one. Two muzzle loader tags and one rifle plus a bear tag to boot. And if you know of anything better to do at Thanksgiving time other then hunting deer. well we have different priority's

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
5 G right on the Vermont border for one. Two muzzle loader tags and one rifle plus a bear tag to boot. And if you know of anything better to do at Thanksgiving time other then hunting deer. well we have different priority's

We obviously have much different priorities.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
The Adirondacks have an incredibly long rifle season. I'd even like my chances of getting on a buck each year. And I've strongly considered moving to Crown Point.

You do know that you would pay a heavy tax for the privilege of living in New York, as they have a state income tax, a state sales taxes, and in many places local sales taxes? Plus, there is the additional expense of maintaining and replacing vehicles due to the salt baths that they existing in most years from mid-November thru mid-April.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone else anticipating picts of the twenty-four 140"+ deer? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You do know that you would pay a heavy tax for the privilege of living in New York, as they have a state income tax, a state sales taxes, and in many places local sales taxes? Plus, there is the additional expense of maintaining and replacing vehicles due to the salt baths that they existing in most years from mid-November thru mid-April.

I have the state income and sales tax now and being a Pennsylvanian I'm no stranger to snow, ice, and cold.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I have the state income and sales tax now and being a Pennsylvanian I'm no stranger to snow, ice, and cold.
Property and school taxes are high in NY too. About double what they are in Pa..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by SKane

SKane I wasn't aware I had to prove anything to you...

I've been deer hunting for 46 years, have been fortunate to have hunted 15 or so states so far and typically hunt 2-3 states every year and have access to quite a lot of land to hunt.

In Md we could shoot 6 bucks a year up until 2 years ago when they cut it back to 4. I don't keep an exact count of deer numbers killed but as close as I can tally up I've shot between 150-200 deer in my lifetime so I really could give a flying [bleep] what you or anyone else believes.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Ghostman

I've been deer hunting for 46 years, have been fortunate to have hunted 15 or so states so far and typically hunt 2-3 states every year and have access to quite a lot of land to hunt.

In Md we could shoot 6 bucks a year up until 2 years ago when they cut it back to 4. I don't keep an exact count of deer numbers killed but as close as I can tally up I've shot between 150-200 deer in my lifetime so I really could give a flying [bleep] what you or anyone else believes.

I can believe that. When my two step brothers, step father, and I hunted that farm in Maryland we had to limit ourselves to 8 deer per day. That's all we had room to hang at one time!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ghostman

I've got 41 seasons under my belt and have only hunted in NY. Much of that has been on public land and yet I have easily killed 200 deer. 200 deer don't sound like much after 46 years of hunting in 15 states. Course I don't have 20+ bucks of 140+ inches and neither would you if you hunted where I have. On the other hand, I don't doubt that an avid hunter could have that many if they hunted prime ground for 46 years. I have relatives that live in Maryland and I've seen some pictures they've taken of several huge bucks in their back yard.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I first started hunting--- NYS allowed one deer -Buck or
antlerless deer with bow and One buck with rifle. Later permits were sold to take another deer. And later only does could be taken with the permit. Now one buck with rifle and one buck with either cross bow- bow- muzzleloader- plus one antlerless with either cross bow-bow or muzzleloader. It's only been lately that on can sign over a permit from on hunter to another. 200+ deer / 41 years = 5 deer per season for 41 years. Special permits didn't start until late 70's early 80's I'd guess. --- But I don't doubt for one second that you have shot 200+ deer --Web

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 16gage, 2500HD, 41 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.