Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
We called IH's corn binders or just binder for short. I have an LMR barreled IHC built Postage Stamp M1 that I shoot in Garand Matches. I have a tape patch on one side of the stock that says Corn Binder and on the other side I borrowed the title from a Kenny Chesney song, She Thinks My Tractors Sexy. Even though the M1's we built in the Evansville IHC refrigeration plant.

Dad sold for a IH Heston dealer in NW Kansas in in the 70s and 80s at one time he was number 3 in sales world wide for Heston (although his IH numbers were higher)

I'd like to have a nickel for every hour I put on a Heston
6600 swather

Sebetha KS??
We had Heston too...best hay equipment by far....

Oberlin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My people always farmed with equal opportunity tractors, not settling on one color. All colors made and make us money.

The first tractor on the farm was a IH Titan 10-20. (ca 1920-1930)

Grandad

[Linked Image]

Dad and his great Grandkids.

[Linked Image]

Sam I do have a tractor story. My Grandad was in a rural bar and became part of discussion on tractors and power and he was challenged to a tractor pull.

The challenger owned a John Deere A and Granddad had a 1948 Ford 8N. The pull took place in the bar parking lot on a Saturday afternoon with spirited betting beforehand.

The tractor's draw bars were bolted together and a flag was dropped. The A was pulling the 8N until Granddad pulled the 3point lever and pulled the A across the line. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I grew up working for guys with both Case and John Deere. Both were better than washing dishes or flipping burgers. (Not that there was a burger place in my town of 300)

I always tell the wife if we get the house paid off, I'm leaving the corporate BS and working for a farmer.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=roundoak]My people always farmed with equal opportunity tractors, not settling on one color. All colors made and make us money.

Grandad

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sam I do have a tractor story. My Grandad was in a rural bar and became part of discussion on tractors and power and he was challenged to a tractor pull.

The challenger owned a John Deere A and Granddad had a 1948 Ford 8N. The pull took place in the bar parking lot on a Saturday afternoon with spirited betting beforehand.

The tractor's draw bars were bolted together and a flag was dropped. The A was pulling the 8N until Granddad pulled the 3point lever and pulled the A across the line. grin [/quote

Challenger is built by Heston

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 338rcm
[quote=roundoak]My people always farmed with equal opportunity tractors, not settling on one color. All colors made and make us money.

Grandad

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The tractor's draw bars were bolted together and a flag was dropped. The A was pulling the 8N until Granddad pulled the 3point lever and pulled the A across the line. grin [/quote

Challenger is built by Heston

grin Gotta love Saturdays on the Fire

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

I thoroughly enjoyed that story.

Technology has surely changed.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad's first tractor after WWII was a Cockshutt. He always said it was a handy little thing. In the fall of 1952 he bought a Farmall (IH) Super M. I still have it. When I was in the 8th grade he found "my" tractor at an auction sale-it was a D John Deere that I had to turn the flywheel to start it. I've hated green paint ever since.

Last edited by norske; 02/20/16.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sammo,
If you're looking for stories, I got one that isn't all that great but kinda cool.

I bought an IH240 Utility tractor after I bought my place in 2004.

Before I bought it, (in West Fargo, ND) I looked it up on the Internet to see what it was all about. I found a picture of one out in Maine that was at some shipping agency.

I ended up buying the tractor and after I got it home, I found paperwork that had all the shipping info and the same exact pic was in the box.

We have a very big Steam Threshers Reunion show here every labor day and I've talked to people that say the IH240 is extremely rare around these parts. They were made from '58 - '62. Sounds like out east they are more common.

Last edited by Rooster7; 02/21/16. Reason: Maine - Not PA

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 50 year old Deere has never quit me! Runs as strong today as it did then.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we always had the oldest chit you could find.

IH, Farmall,

I'm not recalling the lil used tractor my gramps bought one year, but I remember having to stifle the laugh when we'd fill it up at our farm tank and he'd take out his hanky and wipe around the fill spout.

lord but I loved that man. actually still do, but he's been gone from here since '87

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple years ago we went from this...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...to this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The new one will hold more on top the cab. grin

Black Cows Matter!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by viking
Did you Montana boys ever see the Big Buds.

We have quite a few Big Buds around eastern Montana.
I heard a story from a couple years ago of a father and son responding to a wildfire in a pair of Big Buds pulling 60 foot toolbars at wide open throttle. The rooster-tails were purportedly spectacular. I know the family and can attest to them owning multiple Big Buds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My family ran John Deere combines when I was a kid, save for the oldest, an Allis All-Crop. Had an IH corn picker that fit on the front of an M and ran the corn into a wagon you pulled with the same tractor. Ear corn. Kept in a corn crib and fed to the hogs whole or ground up in a hammer mill. When I got old enough to have my own combine, my first two were Gleaners, which were supposed to be just great. I never saw that much good about them. I preferred the John Deere's and my last was a 1969 95 gasser which is still setting in my shed, but which I finally sold to my neighbor last year. Hardly anybody around here had IH combines. Most were John Deere's or Gleaners. Then New Holland came out with the rotary system which has it all over the old types for clean grain. IH adopted it. New Hollands were pretty popular for awhile but now you see a lot of IH's. My cousin went red on the combines and IMO they are the best going presently.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Roundoak, now That's a tractor!

Glad I don't have to spring for the diesel bill on that one.. wink

I got a new Farmall 100hp about a year ago.

[Linked Image]

Priced apples to apples with a green machine, the JD was about $10k more. shocked

If I had been looking for a tractor to hand down to my kids and grandkids with the family farm, I may have gone green, but for my "retirement business" of shredding brush, and rough usage it sees, I went red.

No complaints on the Case. It's a strong, quality machine that does what I ask of it and more.

I have a 45hp Mahindra w/ 6' shredder I use too. Got it after the Case. Tough little tractor. Probably under rated.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Was working on a older lady's place yesterday and she had some dirt tanks with steep, narrow dams I wouldn't even think of putting my big rig on.

She had her grandson out there with a 32hp Kubota and 5' shredder. That kid (prob. 25) was a nut! eek

After watching him take running starts and climb those dams shredding everything down to bare ground, I had to look elsewhere because I just knew I was gonna see a tractor death... But he got it done.

There's a reason the military likes young men. They think they can't die. wink

If I was his daddy, I'd not let him borrow the tractor anymore.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the excellent replies.

I figured it would be a fairly even split, glad to see this topic didn't cause any fights....

There used to be quite a few Big Buds out in the hills, same for Steiger and Versatile. We still use a couple old Versatile's for pulling a toolbar and air drill, great Cummins engines.

I'm not a real tractor expert but we also use a couple old JD's for daily loader tractors, a 4250 and a 4450(MFWD's).
They double as baler tractors in the haying season. Maybe average 500-600 hours a year on each one, I could change oil on them blindfolded...

We've had really good luck with them but the 4250 is getting to the point where it needs some work. And rather than dump a bunch of money into it I think we'll trade it on a 7420/30 or a 7520/30.

You guys already mentioned it but resale on those tractors is incredible, too bad pickups don't hold value half that well...

I would love to find another low hour 4250-4450 but they are hard to come by out here. Every once in awhile I see one listed on the internet but they are all in the mid-west. And yes, they all sell for more than they did new!

C
C
Deutz is the best green.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

Priced apples to apples with a green machine, the JD was about $10k more. shocked

If I had been looking for a tractor to hand down to my kids and grandkids with the family farm, I may have gone green, but for my "retirement business" of shredding brush, and rough usage it sees, I went red.

No complaints on the Case. It's a strong, quality machine that does what I ask of it and more.

I have a 45hp Mahindra w/ 6' shredder I use too. Got it after the Case. Tough little tractor. Probably under rated.

Very nice.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

Very nice.

Thank you, EE.

I enjoy that tractor. Very comfortable.

When I have a job up to about 40 miles away, it's more time efficient to just drive the tractor to the jobsite, rather than load and unload, and repeat for the return trip.

Cab is as nice as my pick-up. I just crank the stereo up and settle in. laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I talked to few of you on the campfire about 6 yrs ago about good used tractors. Ended up with a IH 1086, and it's been a damn good tractor. When I got it, it took the strength of 10 men to shift, but a little maintenance got that all worked out buttery smooth.

Everytime someone gets to talking about there shuttleshift, I get to thinking I need a IH Hydro 86 for a loader tractor.

Hard to believe my John Deere 95 combine used to be one of the bigger models when you see the newer ones.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,615
Posts18,511,776
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.