Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not really. Not much of a trick to shoot under MOA at 400 yards and you don't need paper to do that.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Finding a place to shoot beyond 200 yards around here is bloody difficult. Shooting objects other than paper isn't allowed where I shoot. The only place I can "plink" out to 200 yards is at my buddy's farm, then it's Necco wafers at 50 yards with .22's and from field positions, and clay targets out at 100 and 200 yards with CF's and from field positions. The guy who can whack a clay pigeon at 100 yards offhand more times than he misses gets more respect from me than the guy who never gets his butt off the bench and only ever gets bug hole groups on paper.

When sighting in or doing load development off the bench, for me 3 shots is an indicator, 5 shots is better, and 10 shots tells the tale.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well said buddy. In my mind there is seeing what a rifle can do and get it zeroed to match the sighting system.....and shooting to see what I can do. I try not to confuse them.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, it's real confusing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is the one shot group that kills. It is the FIRST bullet out of a cold barrel and usually a clean, cold barrel unless you take steps to change that.

I have a place to shoot out my back door. Every year before season opens I take the rifle(s) I plan to use out of the safe and run a dry patch through the barrel(s) to remove the Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner that is in it. Then I fire one shot at 100 yards into the dirt just to foul the barrel. I put the rifle away OUTSIDE so it will keep the OUTSIDE temperature until the next day and I fire another shot at a target from a cold, fouled barrel. Then I put it away until the next day and I fire another round at the same target at the same distance from a cold, fouled barrel. I do that for three or four days depending on the weather and then go down and check the target. Whatever it indicates is what you can expect from that rifle on any given day when you are hunting with it and shooting from a cold, fouled barrel like many, if not most hunters do. Groups fired any other way will tell you what the rifle will do when it is fired under THOSE CONDITIONS. If those are not the SAME conditions you will be hunting under, you may want to think about that, or not. For most people, a three, five, or 10 shot group is "good enough" for them and that approach certainly works.

So it all depends on how anal you want to be in attempting to determine "group size" in your hunting rifle(s). To tell the truth, after I have shot the target slow fire over three or four days, I take a new target and shoot a three shot group for comparison. Then I shoot two more to make a 5 shot group. Then I shoot 5 more to make a 10 shot group. There has NEVER been enough divergence between the groups to merit a sight change, or for any concern that the rifle will not do its job if I do mine. How many shots you fire is a personal preference and whatever that number is, is no better or worse than any other as long as the bullets tend to center in the target.

DO NOT CLEAN the barrel before you take it hunting unless you fired every test shot from a clean barrel and unless you intend to hunt from a clean barrel. Then go hunting with confidence that it's all up to you and your shooting skill because YOU KNOW the rifle will do its part.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Op's talking about punching paper and how many shots you consider a group to be. Lets make this easy:

1. 22lr and other rimfires I use for varmint hunting: 10 shots

2. .223 rem or other centerfire varmint rifles:
10 shots

3. Competition centerfire rifles: 10 shots

4. Big game hunting centerfire rifles:

a. Magnums: 3 shots
b. Non magnums: 5 shots

An average of 5 5 shot groups shot with said rifle on the same day will give you a good basis for consistency and accuracy of said rifle. For example If you can shoot (5) 5 shot groups (at small targets) in a row on the same piece of paper, you can measure group size and find an average for the rifle. Pretty easy drill here. I know everyone here says their rifles shoot "sub moa all day long if they do their part". However, a lot of guys can't prove it. They just like saying they can. Same guys shoot rocks and dirt clods and swear they don't have time to punch paper, but hey whatever floats their boats...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

10 shot groups work well on good rifles too:
[Linked Image]

Magnums= 3 shot groups:
[Linked Image]

Before any of the rock shooters here say I don't kill chit, here you go:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Groups is for paper. 1 shot 1 kill (at any range) is for critters...
wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BSA I just want to thank you and welcome to the forum! RU coming to savage fest west? There will be a turkey shoot!

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/21/16.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
As many as it takes until I'm happy with where the gun is shooting....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by S99VG
Some folks shoot three shot groups and say that's good enough for a deer rifle . . .

Most of my rifles and most of my Savages are never going to go hunting. I have four rifles that I do all of my hunting with. I do a lot more shooting than hunting. In that context I use three shot groups in early load development, and then ten shots groups for loads I am interested in learning more about. This just carries over to my hunting rifles, because they are the exceptions but don't need some special fewer round procedure.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey, this is all good stuff! Thanks for the input.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

R
R
I usually shoot ten rounds or more when shooting my levers. i will take two or three out and just bang away at paper. Mine are used for hunting sometimes so practice is essential. I had to buy a decelerator pad last fall cause I'm not twenty anymore.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had to buy a decelerator pad last fall cause I'm not twenty anymore. [/quote]

22 hp and 250-3000, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If we are just "Punchin" paper, the count is more like how many boxes, not rounds fired. Sighting in a new rifle or scope, 3 to get started, then 5 to see how tight "I" can keep it, then we start to play and see if we can cut the black spot out of the target, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For a deer rifle, I bore sight first to shorten the sight in time, then shoot until I get it where I want it, usually 3 to 6 rounds. Once sighted in I have gone several years and never gone back to paper and still on target. I always believe if the rifle is kept away from being dropped, banged against something or borrowed by someone it will stay sighted in without firing each season, regardless of weather.

Savage99F358

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have the luxury of getting to shoot often. I find my zero moves around some. Just yesterday I was changing scopes, the rifle was grouping ok. Lo and behold one ring was loose and one needed tightened. I think riding mules and packing them in scabbards....and my own inattention to detail. I do not trust a rifle to hold zero over any period of time.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/23/16.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,360
Posts18,527,169
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.