-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's no longer a loss for Sears to close, just like K-Mart closing here is no loss - if they were serving a purpose they would be crowded with shoppers spending money - but they ain't, other stores are. Your business can always be replaced by another willing to do it better.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A local K-Mart store seems to still be holding it's own fairly well and has been for several years even with a much larger and generally cheaper Super Walmart in the same town.

The Dollar General and Family Dollar stores all appear to be not only thriving but opening up new stores everywhere in spite of Walmart competition.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Times change. I'm sure Sears was great back in the day, but competition got a little fierce.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I am going to add a post, because I worked for Sears when they made the changes that sent them downhill. I was in the 'eye of the storm', so to speak. I started in Jan. 1969, and worked there until New years 1980.

The full-time sales people were almost all on a commission basis, but in about 1974 or 1975, Sears decided to replace us with register punchers on little more than minimum wage. They had installed a "computerized" register that was supposed to track sales and automatically re-order merchandise to replenish stocks. Well, that never worked as planned, because the computer system back then was so primitive that it didn't do the job, and a lot of the time we had to use a generic entry number of some kind to even get a transaction into the system. the people who were supposed to review the reports never caught the slip-ups, so the re-order system was useless.

Those of us who had been in those sales jobs were re-assigned to the few other jobs that were still on a commission basis. I got re-imagined as a "Kitchen Planner".
Yeah, right - like that is really gonna work !

After a couple of years of starving and bitching, I got re-assigned to be an automotive "service writer" in what was a rockin auto service center. I had always done my own wrenching, so that was great, and I made the best money I ever made at Sears.

Well, maybe too good, because when I went back from the New Year holiday 1979/1980, I was summoned to a managers office and fired. It couldn't have come at a worse time, because the general economy was on the skids, and I had to cash out my profit sharing account for pennies on the dollar to pay the bills. Sears stock came back over several years, but the damage had long been done.

No, the Chinee didn't kill Sears, Sears killed Sears.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My uncle, my dad's brother, worked for Sears from right after WWII until the late '60's or early '70's when he went to work for Montgomery Ward. He probably got an employee discount or something because almost everything his family or ours had was JC Higgins or Ted Williams, everything from my first bicycle to my uncle's .270 (yeah, even in the best of families.)

I still have the Craftsman tools I bought with my income tax refund in 1975....good, USA made stuff. My first ex-wife's father was a mechanic, had his own shop, preferred Craftsman tools over Snap-on. Of course, vehicles have changed so much I can't even remember what some of those tools are for, anymore.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Growing up over the years as a kid we bought everything from Sears and I held on to that loyalty as a young adult - at least with Tools, yard equipment and appliances.

I don't necessarily think their stuff is junk

I've just opted for different brands over the years.

With Kenmore and Craftsman, you just didn't know if you were getting the cheap version or the higher end - they outsourced those brands to so many different companies.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/25/16.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2
A local K-Mart store seems to still be holding it's own fairly well and has been for several years even with a much larger and generally cheaper Super Walmart in the same town.

The Dollar General and Family Dollar stores all appear to be not only thriving but opening up new stores everywhere in spite of Walmart competition.

I actually like the Dollar General model. Open a 2000 square foot store in an intersection of a rural area - kinda like a general store in a old western town

I know I drop in a dollar general that down the road more often than not when I need a couple of items - I'll do that every time over having to go to a Wal-Mart

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by joken2

I actually like the Dollar General model. Open a 2000 square foot store in an intersection of a rural area - kinda like a general store in a old western town

I know I drop in a dollar general that down the road more often than not when I need a couple of items - I'll do that every time over having to go to a Wal-Mart

DG is becoming pretty common in rural MS.

pretty handy, especially the stores that carry a few groceries

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Family Dollars are opening all over the place around here. I've never been in one, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,125
Posts18,483,808
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.