Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
TheBigSky,

My guess, after being involved in a few hunting videos, is the close-ups of getting the kid ready to shoot, and his shooting, were taken after the actual shot. Which is may be why he doesn't seem excited.

To quote one of the posters above, the whole thing is bogus, all the way around... Really, the whole thing is just sad and disturbing. It's unfortunate that in the eyes of the public, every hunter will share in the guilt by association.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shodd
This is my personal checklist of ethics.

1. Am I raising my children in a Christian way and taking the time needed to teach them moral fiber.

2 Am I faithful honest and true to the Misses as I promised.

3. Do I live my life according to bible principle.

4. Do I hunt for food or do I turn the gift of God into sport just as some do women and wine.

As I stated quite some time ago........I am a survivalist hunter. Probably the purist form of hunting there is. Any true survivalist hunter will always have the first three rules solidly fixed to his character and lastly hunts for provision

If you've never hunted in this pure form of humanship then you could never possibly understand the beuity of the pure hunt.

Shod

That is one of the single goofiest GD things I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're just mad because you don't have a misses or children. Which means you couldn't possibly understand the purist form of hunting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Pathetic.

Playing a video game with a gun.

Just pathetic.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A couple of observations. Ive been a competitive benchrest shooter for years, some years more competitive than others.The last 20 years have been more focused on 600yd bench rest- yeah less than 1/2 the distance the kid shot. Most of the people I share a firing line with have shot for years and have spared no expense on equipment. We all know in the minute from sight in to record fire the POI can shift inches sometimes several. With a solid bench, known range , wind flags, and a lot of etceteras. 1376 yds cold shot-HUH! If we play by military rules a wounded animal is OK. I dont think we want that. Another thought, say the animal runs 25 yd and piles up. If you dont have good fixed landmarks and a good spotter, can you be sure of recovery? I dont know. How many times can a clean miss be a clean miss? I dont know. I can come up with quite a few more musing on this topic, but as the majority here seems to think, the ethics are a bit questionable. Maybe like a commercial p.........g contest.
Even if I could I wouldnt.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
is the close-ups of getting the kid ready to shoot, and his shooting, were taken after the actual shot. Which is may be why he doesn't seem excited.

I actually SAW the same effect a few yrs. ago on some hunting show. A young man -not a kid- sat by a tree on an open hill side and NON chalantly (routinely) made a shot showing NO emotion at all.

I had taped that episode, so I RE watched it. In one scene the MOON was full and CLOSE to the earth.

In the NEXT scene the MOON was very FAR away!! STAGED for sure.

The proof is in the 'details'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tanner

That is one of the single goofiest GD things I've ever had the misfortune of reading.
Tanner

Originally Posted by smokepole
You're just mad because you don't have a misses or children. Which means you couldn't possibly understand the purist form of hunting.

ummmm, that's another way of saying it.. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by rost495
divide and conquer.. its in our own ranks....

This is the sad part of it all. There are a few among us that are always testing the limits. For fear of division among the ranks, there is always some justification for pushing those limits.

It wasn't that long ago and some computer geek was trying to sell the idea of shooting deer out of a tree stand with a computer and a mouse. Those that could stomach that philosophy are stretching that distance thing too far.

How far is too far, seems to be a question that doesn't have the perfect answer. Maybe a lazer guided missile would still be acceptable to some, where do you draw the line?

It is obvious that this video isn't about the shooting skill of this 12 year old kid, it is about the adults that are using a kid to legitimize their ambitions to make long shots look easy and foolproof.

The first shot was a complete miss, that should have ended the video, but no, they had him load up and shoot again. That kid had no more idea of shooting long range than he had of flying a jet. They just put him in the pilot's seat and handed him the controls.

I really hope this kind of stunt shooting goes away and people get enough sense to use their own skills to get close enough to make the shot or just not shoot...

The "divide and conquer" part was initiated by an over-zealous dad and whomever the video owner happens to be. That kind of stuff should probably be limited to a few close friends if it needs to be shared at all - and I don't blame them for wanting to.

I have to say though, it does change the concept of "be sure of your target...and what's beyond." Perhaps a more contemporary rule should also include "and what's in the unseen foreground." I reckon it might have been a bit disconcerting to walk up on that bull and find a couple guys skinning it after it stumbled toward them and died while they were hiking up toward the clearing where they had first seen them. ("Cool, Son, you almost had a twofer, a quadruped and a biped. Instead you got an O-fer. Too bad.") That sure could have made a lasting impression on the kid.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

No, Tanner is correct...the post is goofy.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You probably don't have a misses or children either, otherwise you'd understand.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kingston

To quote one of the posters above, the whole thing is bogus, all the way around... Really, the whole thing is just sad and disturbing. It's unfortunate that in the eyes of the public, every hunter will share in the guilt by association.

Don't overdramatize the whole situation. The Anti's don't care if the Elk was killed at 10feet. They only care it was killed. Video said the Kid practiced at that range. He missed once, who hasn't?

Want to place guilt? Sad and disturbing? Then it falls on various rifle and optics companies who promote what you can do with their products, bullet manufactures who make the long, lean, high BC bullets along with others in the hunting community who promote this sort of shooting. They are supposed to be on our side.

Limit your rifle hunting to a .30-30 and then you will no longer share in guilt by association.

For myself, I have absolutely no association guilt and if questioned by someone who has an open mind with regards that Elk can easily explain why.

If I ever am in need of drama, I only have to come here....

Last edited by battue; 02/27/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue

Want to place guilt? Sad and disturbing? Then it falls on various rifle and optics companies who promote what you can do with their products, bullet manufactures who make the long, lean, high BC bullets......

So, Berger is unethical? That's almost like saying gun manufacturers are responsible for shooting deaths.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Want to place guilt?

Then it falls on various rifle and optics companies who promote what you can do with their products, bullet manufactures who make the long, lean, high BC bullets along with others in the hunting community who promote this sort of shooting. They are

... supposed to be on our side.

Totally Agree..

like the ad IN this page....(at the time of posting)

I am SO sick of seeing the SAME elk....falling down in the SAME scene....NEARLY every time of reading.

YMMV.....I'm stickin tuit!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Didn't use or imply unethical, so lets not overdramatize.

Was referring to Kingston who used the words sad, distrubing and guilt by association applied to all of us. He is the one who should be blaming Berger, etc and not you and I with regard quilt by association.

Not my way to enjoy a hunt, but it is only unethical if one is hunting illegally or beyond their capability to use the equipment they have.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

So, Berger is unethical? That's almost like saying gun manufacturers are responsible for shooting deaths.....

Smokey -

I'm not saying Berger is "unethical", however it's not only Berger but the others mentioned....

the ADV for the public 'encourages' anyone who sees them to at least ATTEMPT long range shooting, AND they think if anyone else can do it so can they.

The priority IMO should be on THOROUGH practice at long range on INanimate targets.

HOW many 12-14 yr olds have put in ANYWHERE near enuff time practicing BEFORE attempting to shoot AT a living BG animal?

These are MY thots--NO ONE else has to agree.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall

Want to place guilt?

Then it falls on various rifle and optics companies who promote what you can do with their products, bullet manufactures who make the long, lean, high BC bullets along with others in the hunting community who promote this sort of shooting. They are

... supposed to be on our side.

Totally Agree..

like the ad IN this page....(at the time of posting)

I am SO sick of seeing the SAME elk....falling down in the SAME scene....NEARLY every time of reading.

YMMV.....I'm stickin tuit!

Jerry

Agree, and I care less how far away it was shot. Eventually it gets tired and old. How many times do you need to see an animal die? I ignore it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Didn't use or imply unethical, so lets not overdramatize.

Was referring to Kingston who used the words sad, distrubing and guilt by association applied to all of us. He is the one who should be blaming Berger, etc and not you and I with regard quilt by association.

Not my way to enjoy a hunt, but it is only unethical if one is hunting illegally or beyond their capability to use the equipment they have.

First, I don't think Kingston was blaming you and I for anything, he's just saying that the general non-hunting public associates all of us with the questionable actions of a few. That's "guilt by association."

Second, I think your admonishment "let's not over-dramatize" is ironic coming from someone who just said bullet manufacturers are to blame for what some people do with their bullets.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall

Smokey -

I'm not saying Berger is "unethical"......

Yes. I know. Battue brought up bullet manufacturers, and to be fair, he didn't say they were unethical but he did say they should be blamed for what some people do with their bullets.

I can't agree with that line of thinking.

I do agree that anti's don't make distinctions and want to end all hunting so I don't worry about them. But I do concern myself with what the general non-hunting public thinks because they are the voters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You probably don't have a misses or children either, otherwise you'd understand.

I have a missus and three daughters and a next week a second grandkid and I don't understand.

I think Tanner was basically right although "goofy" isn't the word I would have used. (And not sure what the right word or phrase would be. Maybe "ego-centric"?)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Arrogant.

Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,344
Posts18,526,913
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.