Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 02/26/16.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been a problem for the last several years, and apparently it has only become worse. SFW does not represent the average public land hunter nor do they do much to enhance wildlife populations in need of more help.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
LDB Offline
To quote the article:

"The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, submitted a proposal, offering to run the expo. It also offered to give 100 percent of the proceeds from the hunting tags, back to Utah Conservation Efforts.

Instead, a State Purchasing evaluation committee chose Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, which has been involved in running the expo for several years, but only designated 30% of the tag proceeds to conservation efforts.

2News sat down with DWR Assistant Director, Mike Canning for a recorded interview. Canning was the sole representative from the DWR on a five person evaluation committee tasked with choosing the best option.
He was asked: "In what way is 30 percent better than 100 percent? If DWR is for Utah conservation efforts, how are they (SFW) the better party for this?"

Canning's response: "In any proposal you have to look at more than just money."

Canning went on to point out that Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation was heavily favored for its 100 percent commitment to conservation, but came up short in their business plan and their data security protocol."

This all seems pretty weak to me, the RMEF is being critiqued on their data security protocol???? How does that explain where the other 70% of the funds are going? Sounds like a BS line to me... I personally tend to think RMEF is capable and willing to run the expo without compromising any "data security" and has the integrity to put 100% of the funds back into conservation if that is what they say they will do. If I lived in Utah I would be pissed.

Better to do it when you're young so you can talk about it when you're too old than talk about it when you're young and do it when you're too old.

www.clarkforkoutfitters.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SFW has always been in it for the money...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by LDB
This all seems pretty weak to me, the RMEF is being critiqued on their data security protocol????

That's code for "we picked who we wanted from the beginning."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
The founder of SFW is deeply tied into the political elite in the state, as in being one of Utah's voting delegates to the Republican national convention. Uber inner circle, while the RMEF people are not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a surprise that this is an issue in Utah...

Politics stink, but Utah politics has a very distinctive odor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Run by the mormon mafia too. I attend the expo every year, and kind of feel guilty for it.

Its a good show with lots of outfitters and gear...too bad it so corrupt.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cumminscowboy: Sad!
It seems anymore that where there is ANY money to be stirred around there are schemers and miscreants to try and take advantage of it - sadly the intended beneficiaries of this program (the wildlife herds!) are the real losers.
Hope the situation gets rectified soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll bet Canning gets really nice Christmas gifts.

IC B3

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I hate to be a wet blanket, 'cause everything you read on the internet is true, right (?) but here is the actual signed contract between DWR and SFW:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/expo_permit_contract.pdf

the terms of the contract stipulate 100% of all monies collected have to go to approved conservation projects within 2 years of collection.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
this FAQ also has links to the reports (scoring) of the bids as well as the audit process and the spending stipulations:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-expo-permits-faq.html#q5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I hate to be a wet blanket, 'cause everything you read on the internet is true, right (?) but here is the actual signed contract between DWR and SFW:

the terms of the contract stipulate 100% of all monies collected have to go to approved conservation projects within 2 years of collection.

Item 7b in the first link you provided states that $1.50 of every $5 application fee will be allocated to Division-approved projects that will benefit protected wildlife. Item 7c states SFW may retain for administrative purposes the remaining $3.50 and be used specifically for policies, programs, projects, and personnel that support conservation initiatives in Utah.

While 100% of the $1.50 portion is earmarked towards projects, that's a far cry from 100% of all monies collected.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I noticed the "tough" wording in the State's concern about internet security, too...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

Actually these concerns are all over the internet. So it seems their is some truth to the allegations. I hope in time we find out the "Why" and the "How" SFW gets all this cash from tax payers.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like SFW found themselves a fat hog. What kind of organization is exempt from audits? Me and several of my friends would like to start one.

Sounds like some SFW and reviewing personnel might get lucky and score some tags. Fishy deal

Last edited by 1minute; 03/07/16.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An Alaska rep of SFW came to our little town and signed up numerous new members......no one ever got their membership or heard from him again.....he skipped with the funds. I think he's still a big game guide in Alaska.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was his name Corey Rossi? whistle

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You kept up on that little deal, no?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, but don't recall all the details. I remember a rise and fall fraught with cronyism, no credentials, citations involving bears, and vanishing in the dark of the night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 12 invisible), 1,161 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,219
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.