Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I have organised to wander out with a mate and stick some pigs with knives...should I be worried about what you lot think of my ethics?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What you stick in a hog is between you and the hog, but if you bring a mate along he could help hold it.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Nah...you have me confused with the Kiwis, that is why they wear gumboots.

Well, that and they have trouble tying shoelaces.

And their footy teams suck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of Ortega y Gasset's main points is that once we bypass an animal's natural survival instincts with our technology, then we're not hunting but just killing: “The confrontation between man and animal has a precise boundary beyond which hunting ceases to be hunting, just at the point where man lets loose his immense technical superiority—that is, rational superiority—over the animal.”

I agree with this concept, but the problem I have is with figuring out where that boundary is. I don't believe it's as precise as Ortega y Gasset would have us believe.

And if we're talking about defeating the animal's natural survival instincts by taking shots from long distances I believe that boundary is closer to 200 yards than 1,000. Nobody talks about the huge difference in an animal's ability to detect a hunter at 300 yards vs. 50 because most guys can make a 300 yards shot. Or think they can.

Humans have always used technology to defeat prey animals' survival instincts, it's what we do. Both in hunting, and in raising domesticated animals for food.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To impress you it would have to be a borrowed rifle, in .30-06 and using coreloks. Any specific grain of bullet to narrow it down for a fair chase win?

Fair chase, just what is it? Couple 1000 words to help you make some decisions.

[Linked Image]

This stand has been there for perhaps 20years and at least over 50-60 Deer have been shot out of it. I've killed probably 15 or so. Bucks and Does. It is 220 to the top right of the crest and it tapers down to 150 to the right. Out the back left side it goes to 260. It is an evening hot spot and Deer have been shot from almost point blank out to the edges. Fair chase to sit in there on a cold December night and shoot a Deer? Heck they hardly pay any attention to it any more. Some would be fairly safe with irons, not so much with a scope.

One nice Buck I shot running across the field at around 50 yards. Hit him two out of three. Was it more fair chase with him running vs just walking out and standing there?

300 or so yard behind it is this one. It's falling in and you have to prop it up and rearrange things to find a place to stick the barrel out. Few have been shot out of here also. Came up on it one time before season and this fellow came walking up at around 60 yards away. In season would it have been fair chase to shoot him close to another stand that has been there 20 years or so? Who knows how many times he walked by it without a care.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This small Buck was still inside the wood in front of the first stand and I was on the edge. Would it have been more of a fair chase since I wasn't in the stand? He would have been just as dead if I was going to shoot him.

[Linked Image]

So, where does fair chase begin.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ringman,

Actually, that very concept was discussed long before laser rangefinders appeared. You may or may not have heard of a little book entitled MEDITATIONS ON HUNTING written by a Spanish hunter and philosopher named Jose Ortega y Gasset in the 1930's. It's most famous for this comment: "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

But Ortega y Gasset also wrestles with technology, partly because he acknowledged that by the 20th century hunting wasn't essential to physical existence of most humans. Instead it had become a more ritualized activity, even though many of us also value and eat game meat.

Here's another short quote from the section on modern hunting technology, which obviously wasn't as advanced in the 1930's as the 21st century. One of Ortega y Gasset's main points is that once we bypass an animal's natural survival instincts with our technology, then we're not hunting but just killing: “The confrontation between man and animal has a precise boundary beyond which hunting ceases to be hunting, just at the point where man lets loose his immense technical superiority—that is, rational superiority—over the animal.”

Some hunters would counter that any technology more complex than bonking an animal over the head with a rock bypasses the animal's survival instincts, so in order to be ethical we should be restricted to hunting with hand-held rocks, because even a club is "rational superiority."

But that's not the point, precisely because non-survival hunting is more of a ritual with nature than a basic physical need. Ortega y Gasset is saying that while we don't need to kill an elk in order to keep from starving, we still need to interact with an elk's survival instincts in order to be hunters rather than mere killers.

The question of what's ethical (and not just in hunting) has been debated by humans for thousands of years, and goes far beyond the typical Campfire debates, which tend not to be debates but pronouncements, such as:

"My hunting method is legal, so it's ethical."
"What does what some dead Spaniard wrote have to do with today?"
"Is too."
"Is not."

Probably the most practical observation in this entire thread is we need to teach kids to shoot well so they can kill cleanly. However, I'd sure want any of my kids to be capable of hitting a bull elk more than 50% of the time.

50%? I'll never take any shot I think is only 50%. Just me.

Doesn't mean I don't miss. But it does mean at the time I pull the trigger, I"m 200% confidence of a quick clean kill. At whatever yardage I decide to pull the trigger at.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let me just ad, as I generally always do, what the heck... I got a big paddle today... grins..

if you are going to have to define hunting vs shooting, I'll say that FWIW shooting takes a LOT more skill than hunting ever will.

I gotta get back to the safe, after reading this morning I am trying to seperate my rifles into either shooting rifles or hunting rifles.

(fairly safe to say I've killed stuff as close as almost anyone, and about as far off as few have. I've not messed up a single long one... I can't say the same about the short ones.)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Caught this one up over the crest of the first stand. Would it have been more fair chase to have shot him from the stand or with me leaning up against a tree back off in the wood edge.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Precise may not be precisely the right word--and the book is translated from Spanish, so may not be precisely what Ortega y Gasset meant. It would depend on the animal and terrain, as well as the range.

Yes, humans have always used technology to defeat animal's survival, which I thought was obviously a part of my post, where I mentioned using a club instead of a rock. If we wanted to get even more picky, we'd use a hand-held rock as an example of technology, instead of choking or biting an animal to death.

But that's not the point. If humans have to kill and eat animals to survive, we've always found ways to do it, ranging from digging pits, making snares, driving them over cliffs or into lakes, or whatever else works.

However, Ortega y Gasset's essay isn't about subsistence hunting. Instead it's about is generally called "sport" or "recreational" hunting, even though we often eat the meat and it may even help us get by economically. If I had to get some meat to avoid starving to death, then I'd use whatever means possible. But that's not what we're discussing, so claiming using technology is OK, because humans have always used technology for obtaining meat, is irrelevant.

Of course we've always used technology, since the use of technology is one of the definitions of being human. Instead we're talking about the essence of modern hunting, which is not basic survival.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mule Deer, great post!!!!!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
However, Ortega y Gasset's essay isn't about subsistence hunting. Instead it's about is generally called "sport" or "recreational" hunting, even though we often eat the meat and it may even help us get by economically. If I had to get some meat to avoid starving to death, then I'd use whatever means possible. But that's not what we're discussing, so claiming using technology is OK, because humans have always used technology for obtaining meat, is irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant when people want to say long-range hunting is "not hunting." Because people who say that are basically saying "it's OK to use technology as far as I go with it, but not as far as you want to take it." Which is in a word, hypocritical.

A guy making a 300-yard shot with a modern scoped centerfire rifle is using basically the same technology as a guy making a 700-yard shot. The guy making the 700 yard shot is just better at it.

And what you're saying above about "sport" or recreational hunting all goes back to why an individual hunts, and what that individual wants to get out of the hunt. Some want the contest with the animal, and want to defeat its senses the hard way by sneaking in close. Others just want meat for the freezer and don't really care about the challenge or defeating the animal's senses. Neither reason for hunting is "better" or more valid than the other.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

Since Mule Deer's post is declared "Great" I will declare this one "Stupendous and Magnanimous!"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by battue

So, where does fair chase begin.

"in my book"

Read the entire post and save yourself some typing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I always liked this one from Jose. Looks like you are not much into effort.

“Effort is only effort when it begins to hurt.”
― José Ortega y Gasset

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To the group:

For the recreational hunter. Does fair chase only exist when the animal has the opportunity to escape capture or death? If so then Stuarts Pig adventures are the only example of fair chase that has been presented so far. In that many here only shoot when the outcome is a given.

Last edited by battue; 02/28/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
smokepole,

Since Mule Deer's post is declared "Great" I will declare this one "Stupendous and Magnanimous!"

Thanks but my money's on Mule Deer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue
To the group:

For the recreational hunter. Does fair chase only exist when the animal has the opportunity to escape capture or death? If so then Stuarts Pig adventures are the only example of fair chase that has been presented so far. In that many here only shoot when the outcome is a given.

If so then it was unintentional as I could not give a fig for "fair chase", I set out with the intention of killing them with the minimum of fuss and effort, and hunt on foot only because I enjoy doing so.

I shall leave the ethical dilemma to those with a pretentious bent.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As with most things involving hunting I think a lot has to do with mindset.

Used to be that most of the serious hunters I knew looked upon the long range poke as a weapon(tactic) held in reserve for the most extreme set of circumstances they might encounter,and in their view only to be used when the proverbial wheels had fallen off...a wounded animal and preventing escape, a calculated long range shot at a trophy animal they had waited a long time and invested deeply, in time and/or money, and effort to obtain.

Not that these people were necessarily unskilled, because many were match/competition shooters with years under their belt. But they knew all about the critical nature of drift and drop and how easily these things could move a bullet off track, so they were very cautious about chancing it.

That approach seems to have changed today,due largely to the better technology. But the goblins of physics still exist despite the technology. We have better gear to deal with it,and many are better at doping things, but the video demonstrates that we are still a long ways from humans perfecting judgement calls under field conditions...even the best of them.

I'll wager the boys low shot at 1300 yards would have been a solid boiler room hit at 300 yards because the values of drift and drop were about 4 times less,(i have not done the precise math, who cares?). There is a bit more wiggle room for error in the 300 yard poke than the 1300 yard one.

That, to me, is where the ethics come into play...the difference between the 90% lead pipe cinch, and the 50-50% call that could as easily result in a wounding circus as a clean miss. That's where the shoot/don't shoot ethic comes into play for me. I'm never going to say don't do it,but think a guy should really deal with better odds than 50-50,which is actually a really terrible field shooting average on BG animals.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In regard fair chase:

Thank you, I was hoping someone would voice the same and most are of the same thought when opportunity presents. It is uncomfortable and politically incorrect for them to say otherwise. So they use PC wording such as fair chase and clean kill.

However, didn't really expect to see it at all let alone so quickly. Glad to see there are still some that acknowledge the beast that lives inside them. Controlling it is for another discussion.

Addition: On second thought controlling it, is probably the main theme of this thread.

Last edited by battue; 02/28/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Ringman
Maybe you could show us where it is written the idea of closer is hunting while farther is not.

I'm more interested in hearing how close I need to be before I'm actually hunting.

I can't answer that but I didn't see any hunting in the video.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (257Bob, 21, 160user, 260madman, 270wsmnutt, 257 roberts, 51 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.