-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On all the triggers that belong to me I do.

CC instructors are, generally speaking and with exception of one in particular that posts here, idiots who constantly speak to things like civil liability for trigger jobs for which they have no knowledge base to draw from.

I have been involved in use of force lawsuits and the investigation of use of force incidents and I can tell you that if a good guy shoots a bad guy, a trigger job will not be a factor in a criminal case. And in a civil case you're gonna get your socks sued off of you for things that have absolutely no relevance to the incident at all.

Anything that helps a good guy (me) shoot a bad guy is a good thing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's very possible to shoot slowly and accurately without using trigger reset in a striker fired gun. It's also very possible to shoot very quickly without using trigger reset.

IMO training to use trigger reset does more harm for some (maybe most) shooters than it helps.

And IME when people think they're using trigger reset at extreme speed, they're not--But there's too much else going on for them to realize it. And IME when people force themselves to use trigger reset at speed they're very likely to short stroke the trigger.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Blue. I will be thinking about what you said. If (God help me) I ever must use lethal foes I doubt any of this will really matter...

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Be cautious running trigger mods in a carry pistol.... there could be legal ramifications for that modification if the pistol ever has to shoot a "bad guy".

What are you basing that on?

Advise from attorneys that specialized in defending LEOs from the various charges they're hit with. Their recommendation was buy a stock Glock and use it for self-defense or duty.(or any weapon that was departmentally approved and unmodified from the manufacturer) Even buying a weapon that had been altered to fire easier/quicker or more accurately was a mistake for a carry gun or a duty gun. I heard it every day in the academy and the in-service training schools I attended along with the law firm we all paid dues to to be on retainer if we ever needed them. I used them twice on use of force issues. Thank GOD I never had to shoot anyone.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's also very possible to shoot very quickly without using trigger reset.

IMO training to use trigger reset does more harm for some (maybe most) shooters than it helps.

Yeah, you could say that, and you'd be in good company

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's one of the best Leatham vids I've seen.........100% on target, no pun intended.

Yondering, I think we have a semantics/explanation issue.

Maybe as a final attempt, I can just say that with a striker fired gun, you cannot ease up against the stacking.......that's what I was trying to convey by saying "pull straight" through until the gun fires.

Best I can explain it, more a feeling than anything else.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Leatham only implied it in that vid but he comes completely on and off of the trigger for each and every shot. He doesn't use "trigger reset".

Trigger reset, or "trophy trigger", can save a lot of time shooting a rifle quickly from field positions but shooting a pistol it can cost you time. All trigger pullin' is related but it ain't all the same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
All trigger pullin' is related but it ain't all the same.

That's very true.

Interesting to hear Leatham say, more or less, that the faster you go, the more you jerk the trigger & that you have to learn to control it.

When you go so fast that you cannot control the "jerk", you've reached the point of too fast.

That's always been my "instinctive" thoughts, just never heard anyone say it quite that plainly.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's where I am with the Glock reset. When I run a reset, it slows me down enough that my hit rate is almost 100%.

To paraphrase Clint Smith, "You can't miss me fast enough to hurt me."

Fast is nice, but I'm all about hits.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

CC instructors are, generally speaking and with exception of one in particular that posts here, idiots who constantly speak to things like civil liability for trigger jobs for which they have no knowledge base to draw from.

I have been involved in use of force lawsuits and the investigation of use of force incidents and I can tell you that if a good guy shoots a bad guy, a trigger job will not be a factor in a criminal case. And in a civil case you're gonna get your socks sued off of you for things that have absolutely no relevance to the incident at all.

Absolutely. "Gun mods are bad" is another of Ayoob's frequently quoted myths. He also teaches that shooting reloads will send you to prison.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[s][/s]

I posted earlier about modification being bad. We were told many things that all wrapped up meant the same thing - a jury would somehow look unfavorably on you as a "gunslinger" and "wanting to kill" if you shot someone with a modified weapon or used handloads. I, frankly, thought that was a bunch of bulls.hit. Anything that aided my in placing a bullet where it was supposed to go, before my target shot me or some other innocent third party, was a GOOD thing. I had more control in where my rounds went, which meant to me the quite opposite of incurring liability - I still believe that given the brief chance to explain that a jury would understand. Regarding civil suits...the rules of evidence in criminal trials should be applied to civil cases too. The people suing you, to get to your department and governmental entity with the "deep pockets" can and do ask questions that have no bearing on what occurred.

I carried a Glock most of my career, and from day 1 I replaced the OEM connector with the 3 lb competition connector. The Para Ordnance P-14 I carried was converted to .45 Super, and was just loose enough to be reliable. It had a fitted Kart bull barrel, a fantastic trigger job, the slide rails were tightened, the ejection port was lowered and flared, it has a serrated trigger and the Wilson combat hammer. I really liked that pistol, but it had a malfunction from time to time, and while i had no trouble clearing the malfunctions, it worried me. That's when I went to the Glock 20. I can count the number of malfunctions from my Glock 20, that I remember, on 1 hand. It is my bed side gun now, and has the Zev Tek trigger assembly installed. I'm considering putting the Pyramid trigger in it. I just haven't been able to try a Glock that has the Pyramid trigger in it yet.

Modifications to your firearm(s) that help you stay on target and take the bad guy out before he gets you are harmless in court in my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.