Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 69 of 120 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 119 120
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Oh Sugar Tits, how is the photography bizzness going? I'm sure you're doing GRATE at THAT too. LMAO

You must be really good to 'almost' make it at that.

You go girl...

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So Stumpy....

its now March 2nd... just out of curiosity....

have you had a bath this year yet?

even your pics of your reload bench has a stench of B.O. about them...but I'm sure you wouldn't notice...kinda like living in NJ sorta thing...

oh and yes, I own a chain saw...with your height, it would look like those that you are holding in pics of you showing how macho you think you are....

Good luck recovering from your Tuesday morning hangover....
and hope you didn't face plant on the floor when you fell off the toilet this morning while admiring yourself in the bathroom Medicine Cabinet mirror again...

we all know it ain't easy being you....

you possess the hardest working and most abused pair of brain cells in America....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by geedubya
Not the Texas hill country, but they say Texas is a whole-nuther place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB
Are those ducks a South American variety?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
FWIW, notwithstanding folks' opinions on "that guy who claims to be a ex-Seal/Recon/Pilot/Whatever", here is my story about a failed 5-day military career.

In my last semester of college, during dead week (week prior to finals) May of 1999, I went to the recruiting station in Butte, MT to finalize my application for USN OCS, intent being to become an aviator. I took some sort of aptitude test - perhaps the ones Jorge mentions below, and scored very well. I don't remember many of the test particulars, but I remember some spatial relations stuff (comparing cockpit view to outside view of airplane relative to a horizon). If there was any technical questions, they were very easy for and engineering student... But then, and I'll forever attribute this to the fact that immersion in textbooks and review during that dead week is hell on distant eyesight, I was unable to to get the necessary uncorrected 20/30 eyesight on their machine. I said "oh well" and got on with life.

At the ripe age of 24, on hearing from a new co-worker and recent USN retiree that the USN/USMC changed their eyesight restriction to 20/40 from 20/30 uncorrected, I submitted an application to USMC OCS, as that branch would guarantee path to flight school up front, obviously subject to various conditions.

They resurrected my test scores, I cleared a medical waiver for a long-ago heart tachycardia deal (last experienced in high school), and went off to OCS in January '03 at the ripe age of 26. The fifth day, I stubbed my toe hard on a frozen dirt clod or root during PT and fractured my big toe. That disqualified me from that class, the next class was full, and the one after that, I would have needed an age waiver for flight training.

I bagged it, attributing it to the Man Upstairs pointing me in another direction.

As for my particulars at the time of application; they are about dead-nuts for what Jorge describes: BSME degree from a decent accredited institution, better than good aptitude test score (can't remember exactly what it was, but nobody batted an eye at the results as they pertained to my goal), college football letterwinner, 3-sport HS athlete, and a 283 point PFT test score.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by EdM
Jorge,

What are the typical and/or most common degrees of a pilot? I was good friends with a Naval aviator when I was in college. He was math and a serious diving competitor. He flew A7's IIRC out of Lemoore (I was in San Luis Obispo). He was always welcome as he had money, we were just broke college kids. grin

Ed: Hatari's post notwithstanding (it is accurate smile ), it depends on the time/demand. My last tour was as Director Of The Navy's Aviation Training School so I can speak at your question with some knowledge. For Naval Aviation, first and foremost is desire. Without it, I don't care how smart/fit you are, you've got to have that. Now as for what we looked for as the "ideal" candidate, was:
1. Technical Degree from a GOOD school. I can't tell you how many we weeded out with Aeronautical degrees from Emory Riddle, etc.
2. Good AQT/FAR scores (Aviation Qualification Test/Flight Aptitude Review) 9/9 being the highest, but anything above 6/7 was good.
3. Athlete, that is, good hand to eye coordination.
And for the record, we also found those who in addition to the above qualifications, had worked their way through school and not necessarily graduates from the Service Academies.

The highest failure rates came from, non-technical degrees, low AQT/FAR scores (below 5/5) and prior enlisted. I am sure that last one will illicit some rage, but I was former enlisted (USMC) and although I had a BS degree (minor in math), enlisted folks are OLDER and yes the younger one is the better one learns, this is a fact and also, they tended to have families ( I did not ) but you just have to devote A LOT of time to after hours study and having a wife and kids was definitively a minus.
Those with prior civilian time one would expect to have an advantage and they sort of did, up to about their FAM-15 Flight (or thereabouts), but their skills were not "The Navy Way" and after that the younger guys caught up. After Primary, there was the first split in training, those with "Jet Grades" (high) went jets and those that did not, went helos or props (P-3s). Same rules apply to the back seat guys. Lastly, and this is more applicable towards the end of Flight Training, the infamous quality spread. While there were guys who wanted to fly say, Intruders, Tomcats etc (almost all of us did), the Navy always spread the wealth as it were. The #1 guy in the class almost always got his wish and the were selected according to the Navy's needs AND quality spread. I was #2 out of 7 in my class and the first and last guy got Tomcats. I did NOT want to fly Vikings, but guess what? that is where they sent me and in the end I was happy I went. So much so that after my first tour in the Pentagon, I worked for a Fighter Admiral and he offered me a transition to Tomcats and I stayed with the S-3. A bit long-winded, but I hope this gives you better insights as to how the sausage is made.

One last thing. I sincerely hope that comment about Officers thinking ALL enlisted are dumb was not aimed at me. I for one WAS one, and I am proud to say I sent many a young sailor to not only the Naval Academy, but to other Universities and special programs as well. Working with "The Troops" was without question, the most rewarding part of my career and If I gave that impression it was not my intent. One more thing: there is just no way I would have survived as an officer without the guidance, leadership and mentoring of ALL my Chief Petty Officers, from my very first one when I showed up to my first squadron, to when I was last "piped over the side" in Pensacola thirty years later. Cheers, J

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Are those ducks a South American variety?

I do believe those are "Black Bellied Whistling Ducks".

http://txtbba.tamu.edu/species-accounts/black-bellied-whistling-duck/

I took those photos while at the beach at Galveston last July.

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Geedub. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tiny Twig criticizes plagiarism enough that it must hit really close to home. He's afraid his secret will get out.

In reality, he's a stumpy fingered keyboard banger, who wishes he could shoot half the amount as pictured and claimed.

He is restricted to only carrying around his ghetto decorated guns, thus explaining the caps on the muzzles, and why they are in every fricken fish picture. Wife said it was either ammo or alcohol, so it was a no-brainer (pun intended).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Fort Peck kicks ass. Love that country.

Me too.

Big Time.

That makes three of us!

grin

It's a nice break from the river bottom and farm fields.

Not out there a lot, maybe 20-30 days a year.

1.5-2 hour jaunt in a pickup so it's a fair amount of driving unless you stay the night.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Do you guys realize that you have kept him on this thread since January 20th?! He can't NOT respond to anything you post.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Do you guys realize that you have kept him on this thread since January 20th?! He can't NOT respond to anything you post.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

You're not the only one to notice wink

No doubt we've both now earned a guernsey in the next incoherent cut 'n paste from the little bloke.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
stick has milch cows?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22
stick has milk producing tits?

Fixed it for you and all reports are yes, yes he does.

Last edited by fredIII; 03/02/16.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dan_oz[Linked Image</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Damn, what is that thing?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

laugh laugh laugh laugh

You're not the only one to notice wink

No doubt we've both now earned a guernsey in the next incoherent cut 'n paste from the little bloke.

I have absolutely NO doubt we'll each have our own little paragraph filled with Alaskan pigden profanity in his next post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

elkhunternm;
Good evening sir, I trust you and yours are doing acceptably well on this first week of March.

Your photo brought to mind something I've seen somewhere, sometime...
[Linked Image]

Random BC coastal photo - can't recall which camping trip it was just now?
[Linked Image]

Mt Curry on the Green River out of Whistler
[Linked Image]

Kootenay Moon near Nakusp
[Linked Image]

This is my morning commute for the last 24 years - Skaha Lake
[Linked Image]

Anyway that's about it for me for another night sir. All the best to you and your fine family this spring.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/02/16.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by dan_oz[Linked Image</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Is it the elusive hard charger sugar tits keeps jawing about.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huntsman22
stick has milch cows?

Aussie slang....'get a guernsey' = get recognition/selection

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by dan_oz
[Linked Image]

A Shingleback. A little short fat fellow. Tends to be unsociable and largely inactive. Puts on a big display of aggression when approached. It is all a false front though, because they've got nothing much to back it up. They do make an amusing pet.

I can't immediately recall why I was reminded of it wink

Page 69 of 120 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (280shooter, 222Sako, 325wsm1, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.