Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Maybe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I've only bow hunted mule deer twice. The only one I've killed was a bedded buck. I stalked within 25yrds of him and his buddy. I've killed a couple of blacktail while still hunting, but I consider that a different game.

I've tried to stalk feeding deer, but without success. I realize that most conventional wisdom suggests stalking bedded bucks is the best strategy, but I've heard of hunters who like to stalk them while they are feeding.

Any feed stalkers out there? I hope to give it another go this year and I would like to have a few more arrows in my quiver, so to speak.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not really stalking, but with white tails you'd be surprised how many you can get to approach you if you just put your butt on the ground and let them come to you. I've done it in the middle of a road wearing a blaze orange parka. I've done it in the middle of a picked oat field wearing a blaze orange parka.

I have absolutely no idea why they do it, but it sometimes works so well you think Bambi has lost his mind. Doesn't seem to matter if they see you walking first or not either.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mule deer are a hair different.....

My tiny bit of such... I still try to come from above, just seems easier. Try to get into their way more or less. I don't approach from rear, loosing ground and they seem wary to the rear... I often did an approach from front quartering.

In socks. Thick ones over regular ones. Or soft shoes.

Of course I"ve only killed a couple with a bow...

Obviously have to watch their eyes as to what they can see and when they look. Try timing them some too... see how long they are down and how often they look up helps.

Mostly when I was lucky, I could get within about 50 yards of them fairly easily, and then I usually more or less stopped with them grazing my direction and let it fall how it did.

Both bucks I shot were looking behind them when I shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Figure out where they are going and get there first - just like elk hunting. If you can find an ambush site on the way, set up and try it. If they go by out of range, back out and try again. Always keep the wind right and stay out of sight. They tend to be out of sight, out of mind - unless they smell you. Then it's over! Fun stuff.

Last edited by centershot; 03/03/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Maybe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yes indeed it is fun stuff. I haven't done as much deer hunting as I'd like, because I've felt like I needed to hunt elk while I still have legs. Most of my friends want to hunt elk. I've reached a point where I think I'm going to move deer to the head of the line. I'd really like to spend a few years chasing mulies with the bow.

Thanks for the interesting insight. I know there is no teacher like experience, but hearing how others have succeeded sure helps cut the learning curve.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 260madman, 49 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,267
Posts18,504,938
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.